millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

For me, the silliest part of Avengers was Iron Man in mock-Shakespeare, wondering if Thor is “wearing mommy’s drapes.” A lot of this really is different preferences in storytelling.

Yeah, I would say I “prefer” the DC movies, or at least I prefer their approach if not always the results, and it is simple storytelling preferences I think as you mention here. DC includes little details (like the horses in BvS) that I find engaging, and acknowledges humans a bit more, which I find engaging. They grapple with superheroes as myths and folklore which I enjoy.

And I agree with you completely here. Personally I don’t think I’ve ever laughed during a non-Guardians Marvel film, and I find their jokes really insipid, such as the example you provided. And there are countless others just like it. I should preface this by saying I never liked Wash in Firefly and now most of the Marvel characters are interchangeably written in Wash’s voice.

I would love to see a Marvel movie where the material, and really the superhero genre in general, is treated more seriously. I really liked Black Panther for this reason, even if there were a handful of jokes it was kept fairly light.

It’s a stray thought but I wondered recently if all the Whedonesque jokes in Marvel, Star Wars, and the animated movies have killed the comedy genre somewhat. Why go see a comedy when the action movies all have jokes? It feels like a long time since we’ve gotten really iconic comedy movies that have captured the public’s imagination the way stuff like Anchorman or Borat once did. Maybe Bridesmaids was the last one. It’s still popular on TV, but movies not so much.

We’ve kind of been coasting on residual Melissa McCarthy and Will Ferrell appeal. There hasn’t been a new breakout star since Kevin Hart, and he’s always a costar. I think you’re right that all these jokes in movies that aren’t first and foremost comedies makes it hard for actual comedies to stand out. And comedy has all but been killed on TV, too. But it was ridiculously huge for a while, too.

In box office related stuff:

The gist is that Avengers has racked up around $50 million in presales in China. That’s double what the Fate and the Furious did in presales (that movie ended up making close to $400 million in China). Who knows if the huge presale numbers will translate in to box office records over there, but it should be interesting to see.

Weirdly, I feel like if there’s any MCU franchise that really lifts Whedon’s style wholesale, it’s the Guardians movies.

Maybe they’re not making the rest of the MCU sound enough like Whedon! :slight_smile:

I don’t know I think TV comedy is doing pretty well. Definitely stuff like Rick & Morty, Bob’s Burgers, and Broad City is everywhere and a huge part of culture these days.

In movies there seems to be a migration away from comedy, not just in front of the camera but behind. The Anchorman director is making movies about the housing crisis, the Pineapple Express guys are doing the new Halloween movie, the Cornetto Trilogy director had his biggest success with a violent action film. There doesn’t seem to be much rushing in to fill the vacuum either.

I’m not sure I really buy that. We’ve had two to three comedies released every month this year and there are trailers for several more coming out in the next couple of months.

Plus Netflix is constantly adding new original comedy features to their line up.

Yeah, I was dicussing above about how I thought the narrative and content would suit Asian markets better than anything else (bar cars which are universal). Story wise a lot of the elements fit a more Asian temperament in terms of story telling and it is so far away from the western style of Superhero narrative both script wise and visually that western audiences needed twenty movies tp get to this point, whereas Asia is much more open to the type of film it is…

I’m pretty sure IW will have a retroeffect of making everything that came before instantly more popular and think Disney should see a big big Bluray bump over there.

I still think it will hit 2 Bil despite upcoming competition. Part of me thinks that Deadpool will bolster it as a double header and it may actually damage Solo’s BO from people deciding outside the cinema that it’s better the devil you know. There’s something lacking in Solo’s promotion, it doesn’t seem to have the same clout as other Star Wars movies this far.

I will say tho that it is very, very lucky to be on the Donald Glover train right now. He’s someone who deserves what’s happening right now, too. Hard work, talent and being your own person is what makes superstars and he’s crossing that bridge as we speak.

Yeah, it will hit 2 billion unless something really weird happens. I was wrong with my 1.5 prediction.

It’s been a while since the last great comedy, but they’re hard to do. You get maybe 1 every 3 years. I think the last one was Bridesmaids.

To be honest there’s not much room in cinema for anything other than superheroes and cartoons. We’re alteady in May and I’d argue there’s one been 3 hits so far, Marvel and a quiet place.

Indeed. It’s been doing really well in South Korea and the early estimates have it taking in more than $75 million in the late Thursday and Friday showings in China. Apparently it has a shot at being the first movie to have a $200 million opening weekend in China.

I think now with greater home options and for many the cost of cinema it has drifted to spectacle and occasion.

I mark certain films as IMAX (Blade Runner and Dunkirk recently due to the visual excellence), certain as definitely in the cinema and then maybe wait for DVD/streaming. That’s not always based on the quality expected but the elements that sell seeing it in a cinema. Opening day on a Marvel film can be a lot of fun to watch with an audience.

Adult comedies to be honest don’t rank that highly on that list and I say adult because there isn’t much in the way of general audience comedy like say Three Amigos or Big. It’s mainly Paddington to Bridesmaids. I suppose Jumanji fits, the family all enjoyed that but it’s more in the action/comedy section.

I think a lot of comedy producers have stepped across to Netflix as there is plenty of money for contracts and nowhere near the same pressure to perform. So many more comedies seem to have bombed because people are also laughing at very different things right now - the same topics that are up for grabs on TV and and in memes are not going down well on screen, black comedy is fine in Deadpool it seems but even a film like Oh So Pretty (I think it’s called) is being torn apart. Comedy has been defanged in cinema pretty harshly. I certainly wouldn’t want to put out a comedy in the cinema in this climate, not when what’s on people’s phones is going to be ten times funnier because you can’t even visit very basic comedy tropes without being lambasted.

It’s pretty crazy to think that it’s only the 7th movie to break $1 billion in the international markets and it did so in 3 weeks.

Well I was way off with my 1.6 billion prediction. Could go to 2 billion maybe?

Outside China overseas, Infinity War is the highest grossing release in industry history in Brazil, Central America, Bolivia, Venezuela, Latin America as a region, the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, India (Hollywood) and Vietnam.

Holy crap.

We’re in a new era. It happens every few decades. The threshold for what constitutes a big hit keeps getting pushed upward the easier it becomes to hit the previous threshold and the easier it becomes to reach the new one. I’d say the present era began about ten years ago, when Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest grossed a crazy unexpected amount, and took off a few years back, maybe with the equally surprising success of the first Hunger Games and then American Sniper when it became routine for movies to hit at least $400 million in the US. I’m not dealing with adjusted amounts or multiple releases, just initial grosses. It’s always the outliers that predict it, and the expected hits that achieve it. James Cameron mastered the outlier status with two such hits, Titanic and Avatar.

Black Panther did better in its third weekend than Infinity War, in North America. Black Panther and the Avengers will end up having better legs, but Infinity War had such a head start that it should make all of its upper projections.

Following up on my last post, the week 2 to week 3 drops are kind of interesting. Everyone who really wants to see the movie should have done so in the first two weekends, so by week three it’s a lot of word of mouth and repeat visits. There are obviously mitigating circumstances with each one, in terms of opening weekend expectations and third-weekend competition. But here they are, smallest drop to biggest, just for fun.

Is this “ranking” a fairly accurate glimpse of the general public’s impression of these movies? It looks like Thor has his fans but not the widespread love. Hulk too.

1. Iron Man
  2. Winter Soldier
  3. Guardians of the Galaxy
  4. Black Panther
  5. Avengers
  6. Infinity War
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
  8. Ant-Man
  9. Captain America
  10. Iron Man 2
  11. Spider-Man Homecoming
  12. Iron Man 3