millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

No doubt, but I wouldn’t be surprised if 30%+ of Netflix subscribers don’t use Netflix anymore. With them losing so many great shows, with the rise of cable on demand and then Hulu and Amazon Prime the numbers got to be pretty big. I think it shows too given that they’re spending billions on creating new content. I’m delighted Millar was able to take advantage of their dicey situation.

I don’t think anyone watches TV or movies on Amazon.

The company now has 125 million subscribers around the world, up from 118 million a year ago, and 56.7 million in the U.S., where just shy of 2 million were added in the quarter. Total revenue jumped 40% over the prior-year period, to $3.7 billion

I watch some stuff on there.

I watch a few of their US imports, like Mr. Robot and American Gods, but very little else. I think The Tick and Mrs. Maisel are the only Amazon originals I’m still watching. I guess Patriot is still going. I’ve watched one movie on there, ever (The Fountain).

Amazon, and I believe also Marvel Unlimited, don’t offer partial refunds if you quit before the year is out. So I’m guessing a LOT of subscribers don’t actually use it. (In Amazon’s case I mean use the tv/movie streaming)

I plan on dumping Amazon just before my renewal comes along. I was planning to do the same with Marvel Unlimited but I’m intrigued by their upcoming new books. What happens with Marvel U though is that I just read crap I don’t like to justify my subscription, and then feel like I wasted my time.

Netflix is just a giant trash heap—I only keep it because I have kids and for now it’s cost effective entertainment for them to throw on while I make dinner or whatever. Apart from the occasional episode of Halt and Catch Fire or Breaking Bad (which I am determined to finish one of these days), I don’t watch it all.

Rampage is a moderate blockbuster a little handicapped by timing, but it gives Dwayne Johnson another boost as the most reliable action movie star around. He seems to be about the only star capable of carrying movies that are not already part of a big franchise.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/04/16/box-office-rampage-survived-avengers-infinity-wars-date-change-sabotage/#12503b7f2a8f

Oh well, they’re fine then. What could possibly go wrong with that? :smirk:

Netflix gottum beaucoup bux, Variety sez:

Come ON! Who else misses the 1930s?

To be fair, it’s a variation on what newspapers and magazines have done for decades.

• MoviePass’ owner, Helios & Matheson Analytics, has filed its 10-K to the SEC and reported a loss of $150.8 million last year.
  • The company’s independent auditor states in the filing that it has “substantial doubt” about its ability to stay in business.
  • Helios & Matheson CEO Ted Farnsworth emphasized that $110 million of the $150 million loss is non-cash.

I’m glad auditors can do basic math.

The CEO of Moviepas is Ted Farsworth and he’s got an interesting story. He made the Psychic Hotlines in the 90’s and has been involved in all sorts of failed ventures. Right now this whole thing feels like a long game scam to get VC money, pump up share prices and then bail with a fortune.

Like Eazy-E says, “It’s all about making that VCM*.”

*Venture Capital Money

:wink:

Is it jelly beans? That would be a heck of a lot of jelly beans :confused:

@Jim and @garjones

Why would you pay to go to the cinema if you can see the movie for free at home???

Unless they’re planning on having cinemas that basically show the movies for free as they don’t have to pay anything to studios. That would be a fucking genius move.

It’s not literally free to watch them at home, of course. You just don’t have to pay more to see them. You’re still paying.

However, going to see A QUIET PLACE as well as most of the big blockbusters and even a movie like GAME NIGHT is a very different experience in a theater than at home. That collective experience as well as the other elements (no pausing, giant screen, great sound system) are all part of an appeal that can’t be completely achieved on even the best home systems available to the average audience member.

I think the full cinematic experience is something people will still want to pay for as long as - and this is very important - the film is cinematic. I do find that some movies really don’t provide much to make going out to see them worth it compared to watching them at home.

The problem, I think, is that there are regulations that prevent producers and distributors from owning theater chains, so it would be another case where online companies are given exceptional treatment compared to traditional. Like how Uber argues it should not have to meet the standards of a taxi or limo service or Facebook argues it should not be held accountable for content as television networks and newspapers are.

Paying for a subscription service becomes invisible. Unless you’re one of the people that really manages your personal finances like it’s a business, once you sign the contract, you don’t notice the money leave your account.

Going to a cinema is different. So it has to offer a significant difference to be worth the money and hassle.

And for millions of people every year, it does do that. Just less of them than there used to be.

How about this for a theory?

The biggest thing that prevents early release onto streaming platforms is the cinema chains. If Netflix is a major player in the cinema chains then it changes the scenario.

Alternatively there may be nothing that strategic about it at all, they just want to expand the protfolio and will run a cinema chain as normal.

I think that’s it, or at least part of it. They want to flex their muscles in the entertainment industry.

Another thing to consider is that they want their films to be get attention from for Oscars, and they’re ineligible from those awards unless their films debut in a theater. I suppose having your own chain would make that easier. They could debut certain films in their own theaters, then drop them onto their streaming service hours – or however long tje minimum window is – later.