millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

I was curious so I did some research:

This is the share of the annual box office for each calendar month. From looking at the trends Jan and October are terrible months. March, September & December have become more relevant. May has somehow become less important. The others seems to be roughly the same as they always were.

May and April are the months mostly likely to be dominated by one movie - both average 38% of all receipts coming from just one property. December is 33%, February, June & July 30%, the rest lower.

One major change is the domination of a single movie over the years. In 2012 one movie averaged 26% of monthly ticket sales. Same held true in 2013, up to 27% in 2014. In 2015 that number jumped to 34% and it’s been close to there since. It’s pretty clear box office is becoming more controlled by these big Disney properties. I’m sure that’s their plan.

more stats. All the records BP broke

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/02/19/black-panther-all-the-box-office-records-it-broke-and-almost-broke-in-its-242m-debut/#7d4d56837195

Yeah it officially beat Force Awakens for the biggest Monday of all time.

DAMN!!!

With some visuals added:

BOMojo

We would get a better visual of the trends over time if you swapped the axes. No rush, just when you get a minute :wink:

It needs more ZAZZ!

And another record falls:

Current projections have BP second weekend being somewhere between $90 million and just north of $100 million. Even at the lower end of that, it would probably put it on pace to beat The Avengers domestic totals. So a billion worldwide is looking more and more like a lock since it’s already made about $200 million internationally. It’s crazy that not even Spider-Man movies have managed to hit that milestone, but Black Panther is looking set to do it.

Saudi Arabia To Invest $64 Billion In Entertainment Sector

As Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman Al-Saud moves to diversify the economy and reduce the Kingdom’s dependence on oil, it was revealed today that $64B will be invested in the entertainment sector over the next decade. At a press conference in Riyadh, General Entertainment Authority chief Ahmad bin Aqeel Al-Khatib said the money will come from both the government and the private sector.

The plans include Saudi’s first opera house after concerts had been banned for the past two decades. This follows the recent lifting of a 35-year ban on public movie theaters, opening up a what is expected to be a lucrative market. It all falls under the progressive Crown Prince’s Vision 2030 program. These sorts of reforms are revolutionary in what has been an ultra-conservative Kingdom. Women were recently granted the right to drive and attend football matches.

–SNIP–

Already establishing plans to open multiplexes in what could be a very lucrative market are Vue International, AMC Holdings and the Kuwait National Cinema Company in partnership with leading Middle East distributor Front Row Filmed Entertainment’s exhibition arm, Cinescape Cinemas.

The Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia is further in talks about buying a stake in WME holding company Endeavor, investing more than $500M for what could be a 5%-10% share.
http://deadline.com/2018/02/saudi-arabia-invest-64-billion-dollars-entertainment-sector-opera-house-movie-theaters-1202299354/

One would have to assume that adjusted for inflation the Raimi films all would have. Certainly the first one, it came fairly close to a billion despite being released nearly 20 (!) years ago and the other two did not have much dropoff.

That’s true, all of the Raimi movies should easily be over the mark when adjusted for inflation nowadays.

The last one did $890m in 2007.

That’s a billion today;

https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

It did cost a lot more than ‘Homecoming’ did though, according to available figures.

It’s beyond crazy. It’s defying the laws of physics. No superhero movie should be able to do this. No new franchise of any character regardless of genre should be able to do this. Black Panther is rewriting the rules of how Hollywood thought the market worked. I’d bet every studio head is wondering what the hell is happening, why is it happening, and how can they replicate this magic formula. Everything they thought they knew is suddenly wrong. Conventional wisdom is wrong. This movie’s might match Justice League’s entire run within 10 days of launch.

This movie beat Star Wars! It joins Deadpool, Suicide Squad & Jurassic World as recent movies that have defied any expectation.

It’s not like they can turn to James Cameron, or 3D showings, or something else to explain this. It’s a black swan. A perfect something. It’s amazing, wonderful and it’ll change movies forever.

Well, when people start setting up gofundme’s and kickstarters, and even Brie Larsen starting a ticket pool, to get those who wouldn’t be able to see it originally - it’s gonna impact the numbers.

According to Deadline, Black Panther should cross $500 million global today.

I think @RobertB touched on it some time ago when he talked about the global demand for hip-hop culture. This movie was, to a certain extent, sold that way. And the movie was done right and respectful. It wasn’t a bunch of white guys going, “This is what my 12 year old nephew says the black people like.” It had authenticity. It wasn’t done on the cheap either as many had come to expect of movies featuring black characters. People saw this was real. Wonder Woman was the same way and viewers recognized its authenticity. That’s why it was a huge success.

And I think that is the lesson the studios are going to miss. They will make their copycat (pun not intentional) movies without understanding the passion, vision and truth that was inherent in BP and WW. Also, the studios gave those creators the support to make it their way. Granted, this is no guarantee of success when reaching out in new directions but it can’t hurt.

It’s a testament to the global reach of American culture, this is a very American movie. Not just the soundtrack, Wakanada is (of course) an American idea of what a free African nation, gifted with resources, could’ve become and Killmonger is really the voice of the movie.

An angry African American man raised in Oakland (the comics originally placed him in Harlem) without a stable family structure (mother and father both dead) and expressing a lot of the disappointment, rage and disaffection that came from the racial tensions in that area. Oakland is (not coincidentally) where the Black Panther movement was formed in the 1960s.

What makes the film work is that Erik’s anger is not avoided or patronised. He’s allowed to be vocal about his opinions, it’s his actions and his individual personality (an egotist and occasional sadist) that are criticised.

The film resolves itself by having T’Challa recognise that Erik had a point, Wakanada should help others, but not by providing weapons and fuelling more conflict.

I genuinely think the resolution of this film is neater and more effective than the vast majority of other films that try to deal with weighty issues like these. ‘Black Panther’ is built on the ideas, rather than just paying them lip service and it has a strong view on them.

So American it is, but it’s something that other people in other countries can agree with.

As a first generation immigrant, a lot of Erik’s gripes with his heritage and their treatment of him really spoke out to me in a very relatable and tangible way.

I agree. I think it was an unusually thoughtful conclusion for a superhero movie. It put me in mind of comics like The Authority in the way it aimed for a slightly more considered resolution.