millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

Best option there.

I enjoyed every instance it was allowed to be not-connected to anything else. Which is only 10% of the movie.

Oh, your dead right. Event Horizon is scarier and much more interesting movie.

I will say this if it wasn’t for the British actors I would find Cloverfield even less tolerable.

Amazing how an accent can bring a bit of sophistication to a train wreck.

Aye. As I noted in my review - the cast is rather good.
They’re trying their best to make this godawful material work.

It’s not very successful, but the films highlights are solely constrained to moments when there’s no hint of the reshoots, the b-plot, the terrible title drop, and etc. Just them interacting/trying to sort things out.

I know fans have been wanting a direct sequel to the original, but it’s really robbing Peter to pay Paul when you do it only to attach it in a way that ruins the film.

It feels like Netflix is still struggling to hire top talent, these badly receieved movie events aren’t convincing people to keep their subscription. It’s critical they get a reputation for quality rather than the bargain basement feel they have for most of their content.

Right. Those can be fun, but when it’s the norm - it’s just a waste of the actors and directors they can get.

Now, The Cloverfield Paradox wasn’t made by them, but it’s certainly something they would have done.

Doesn’t matter who made it, it has their mark on it as it’ll be first identified with Netflix. They’ve got to get out of the $2 bin, otherwise they’ll end up like SyFy and never able to escape that reputation.

Netflix only care about subscriber numbers, not reviews. They made their deal with Adam Sandler because their numbers said he helped keep people paying for the service. Bad reviews? Not their concern.

It’s the same with ‘Bright’, critics hated it but the audience score is almost exactly the reverse of that, hence they greenlit a sequel.

If audiences don’t like this ‘Cloverfield’ movie then that’s a problem. We’ll see over the next few days what the general public thinks?

I got an email last week that they’re raising my rates to “keep bringing new quality” to me.

The first upcoming entertainment they mentioned below this message was the fucking Emoji Movie.

:open_mouth:

:anguished:

:cry:

:

A more intricate story than the movie had.
Clearly they gave it to the wrong people.

Cloverfield 2 was a surprise hit and engendered a lot of good will towards the series. The announcement that Cloverfield 3 was on Netflix got a lot of people excited last night. Almost everyone on facebook I know that who’s a horror fan was watching it. Netflix has made abundantly clear that they don’t care about reviews, they care about eyes on their products and subscriptions. This film may not be getting good reviews but I’d be willing to bet that Netflix are happy nonetheless.

Hey, they’ll probably be in line to snatch up Operation: Cloverfield, which is no doubt what they’ll call the Nazi Demon one they’ve already finished filming.

I get that reviewers don’t pay the bills, but as Robert just pointed out they’re incredibly concerned about quality. And reviewers are influencers. Even though reviewers are mostly up their own arses and tear apart crowd pleasing movies like Adam Sandler & Melissa McCarthy stuff or Bright because they’ve got to do something with their film school degree (and that’s a flaw on some reviewers who can’t simply positively review a breezy 2 hour mind distracting movie).

Other viewers are bigger influencers. As long as people are enjoying and talking about the films, Netflix isn’t going to worry about what reviewers say.

I’d also question how much influence reviewers really have at this point. They probably still have an impact on big theater releases but I can’t seeing them having much for films that a large portion of people will have already watched before their review even becomes available.

When it comes to subscriptions you can just grab a niche. People who will watch Sandler comedies or horror or sci-fi movies whatever anyone says about them. There are plenty of those people.

In the UK when they first launched cable TV to a wide audience they grabbed cricket, probably the 4th or 5th most popular sport but with a dedicated audience (that were also usefully quite affluent in general). They definitely want to watch it and will pay even if most of the population won’t.

Jim does have a point though that if you want to reach wider it will eventually be important to make sure quality is there. They have so much content though that maybe that audience is already covered with The Crown or Narcos or whatever, as I am always too aware of looking at ‘my list’ there’s so much stuff I can barely keep up.

If they want to ‘replace cinema’ it’s another matter and their features will need to be better.

Getting stuff on the cheap can influence outcome quite a bit.

Bright may not be a great movie, but how much did anyone on Netflix actually pay to watch it? If somebody’s watching stuff on Netflix once a day, say at the end of the day, then the likely cost of watching a film like Bright is less than pound or dollar or euro. People will forgive quite a bit for something got cheap. For something that cost say £13 to see in the cinema, without adding in transport and food costs? Far less forgiving.

Heh, same here!

Aye. I liked Bright either way.

Now if I had paid for Cloverfield Paradox I’d have been pissed. As it stands, among other content I pay a fee for, I’m more miffed.

Yeah, I’m not keeping up with my Netflix list too well these days, which is fine. Nice to know I still have plenty I want to watch. As for Cloverfield, I’ll probably watch it eventually. I enjoy watching crappy sci-fi/horror movies. Fun way to spend a quiet night in when I’ve got nothing else to do.

For me, it was the stunt nature of the release. If Cloverfield’s Pair of Dogs had been good, then it would have been a great event. Instead, it seems like they knew it wasn’t that great, so they decided to go with a PT Barnum level of sales pitch to make it seem like something really special. So it left me with less confidence in Netflix as a provider of content.

On the one hand we have lower expectations for free things, so their bar is definitely lower.

On the other hand our most expensive commodity these days is time as we have infinite options, and a couple of shitty movies is enough to make you not waste your time any more. I think this is what’s happened to comics.

They believe they need more than TV shows to grow their subscription base, all premium content providers seem to reaching that same conclusion. And they could start losing the studio movies as other streaming services get aggressive (Disney and Fox will soon be off the table and Universal might go to just Hulu in the upcoming Streaming Wars).

They can’t get into a ‘create loads of content and hope some sticks’ mindset. It’s a terrible strategy, but maybe all they have right now.