millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

My only real bugbear with pre-booked seating is that a couple of places I know operate systems that don’t allow you to book seats in a pattern that leaves a single seat empty.

Which makes sense for regular cinemas with theatre-style seating (they don’t want to leave a smattering of empty single seats across the theatre that no groups will want to book). But there is a cinema near me where virtually all the seating in every screen is two-seater sofas, and they don’t let you pre-book in a way that doesn’t fully fill a sofa.

So if you’re booking for a single ticket (I often go to the cinema alone) - or indeed for any odd number of people - it can be impossible to book tickets in advance. Which seems ridiculous to me, and on more than one occasion has prevented me from being able to book at all.

Vue right?

I complained to them, then booked Cineworld, and let Vue know why.

If enough people are annoyed they’ll change the policy, and if they don’t I’ll keep going to Cineworld.

I can’t remember which ones do or don’t, but the one with the sofas was the only one that really bugged me, and that was my local Everyman.

I emailed them about it and they didn’t seem to care that much (they said I could always come into town and pre-book a ticket directly at the venue), which makes me think they either didn’t really understand the issue or they don’t care. Which jibes with the general attitude of the staff there, if I’m honest.

(Still a nice cinema though.)

I’ve been to two Everyman cinemas.

The staff in one was falling over themselves to be helpful and the other, while polite, really would rather that the customers would sort things out themselves.

That was the people I interacted with though. The less interested ones may well have left by now.

Or promoted, the world being a weird place at times.

I’d rather have the theatre to myself. People are the reason I stay away! Opening chip packets. Lighting up their phones. Eating mandarins out of plastic bags (this actually happened to me!).

I prefer to see most things at home. I’ve had some really bad experiences with people being assholes in a theater. There are just some films that benefit from a big screen. I also want to see some films as soon as possible in order to preserve the suprises before every internet article title ruins them.

Why do you not want people behind you, do you think they’ll do something to you?

Sit near the front, put your hood up, and suddenly you’re basically in the theatre by yourself. I go five minutes late to skip previews and sit close enough so that there is nothing in my field of vision but the movie.

You guys all sound like crazy people…booking in advance, showing up to the theatre 30 minutes early, sitting in the back so you can keep an eye on everyone.

Hey now.

I like to sit middle to front, kinda between Robert and Steve. Other than that, I’m pretty much fine with everything; obviously, I’d rather sit in the middle than on the sides, but it’s no biggie if I can’t.

I will sit in back if it’s a horror movie, primarily because it eases the effect of “jump scares” which generally annoy me and are foundational to modern horror.

Since I moved to Malaysia 15 years ago I have never seen any option other than reserved seating. Even if you turn up 10 minutes before the movie they point to a display with a theatre layout to select your seats.

One thing it does show you is everyone tries to avoid the front few rows. They are always free or last to fill. Therefore there is no case here for calling anyone weird. :smile:

(To be more serious I think it depends a lot on the construction of the hall, pretty much everything here is very modern and the front seats are very close and require you to crane your neck a little looking up, in the old school cinema where I used to work the screens were comparatively smaller and seating set further back).

It sounds like it all works the same here, and likewise the front 5 rows tend to fill up last. My issue with it is what you are saying in the last paragraph—I like to sit up front but you can’t tell from a touch screen if it’s going to be perfect or terrible.

It’s reserved seating whether you buy your tickets a month in advance or 10 minutes after the show starts. If you buy them before you get to the theatre you do pay an extra $2 a ticket or thereabouts for the honor. So the customer has to pay a premium for worse service and the theatre gets to lay off all of the ticket sellers.

Capitalism in a nutshell, although it’s hard to blame the theaters when it looks like the 2018 release schedule (outside of Marvel) and the bursting of the Moviepass bubble is going to sink them.

When I saw Cabin in the Woods, I sat next to a teenager. The jump scares would get him but he noticed that I wasn’t affected. In a whisper, he asked why I wasn’t affected. I told him I had seen enough horror movies (and movies in general) that I could tell when they were about to happen. The movie was also the genre tropes so that helped. He just shook his head and smiled.

There’s no extra charge here. I would also say they have ticket sellers with the screens albeit labour charges are cheaper, when I went to both AMC and Alamo (free seating for both) in the US the only option was to buy from a vending machine. I’m not sure the two are related.

Todd at a horror movie:

Brave of the kid to say anything, my assumption would have been that Todd is a serial killer.

The kid was a trope himself!

The best seat in the theatre for me is center, towards the back (third row from the back).

The way the newer theatres are set up this keeps the center of the screen at eye level (and the head level).
If I have to make a choice it’s slightly above (lessening raising the head while watching).

Same for the TV screen. Eye level. The young may not notice, but raising the neck causes me neck/back pain.
(Yeah, I know. Get off my frickin’ lawn…)

Depending on the size of the theater it’s always 3-5th from the back and in the middle for me.

Of course that’s for a theater with Levels. If a theater is just on a flat plane, then I choose near the front since there’s no point in having people sit in front of me and obscuring the view so much. I know of 2 theaters with just a flat plane.