millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

What does that put it on par with?

They’ve nearly broke even now when you factor in the 150mil promotional budget :smile:

For global openings it is at 30th, just ahead of Guardians vol.2 and behind X-Men: DoFP.

Depending on the legs it has the average end take of those was around $800m.

I think the spider will have more legs than most.

This feels like a bit of a run of these movies settling around $800 million. I wonder if they’re selling to more or less the same fixed audience at this point.

It does look like it. They could have found a level like the Harry Potter films but not a bad one as long as they manage their budgets properly.

I think they’re in a fix in that regard, as there’s expectations now on effects, star levels and marketing. Audiences will know when a movie is cheaper, like they’ve done with the TV shows.

It’s also a bit of a drop as 3 years ago I’d thought the ceiling would be about a billion (given Iron Man 3 & Dark Knight Rises). It’s a good number, but I suspect these movies don’t actually net much money at the end of the day. But then I don’t think that’s their intent either.

To a degree but I’m not thinking going super cheap, it’s avoiding the creep up to $250-300 million we’ve seen on some of them. At least the published budgets for Spider-Man and Wonder Woman look reasonable.

I think it’s harder too when there are so many of them to make each one such an ‘event’. I mean I follow all this stuff and was rather surprised S-M: Homecoming was coming out so soon the other day. It’s the third major Marvel/DC movie in a couple of months and we have two more coming later in the year.

It feels like that’s a big part of it. You have Avengers for the first time when there’s been nothing like it (and only one or two Marvel movies a year) and it breaks records. You do it again in a few years when you’ve got two Marvel movies every year and it still does pretty well, but not quite as well as the first. Then you’ve got Avengers 2.5 a year later with Civil War, you’ve got three Marvel movies coming out each year… inevitably it’s all going to feel less special each time it comes around.

The biggest shift in budgets in the last 30 years has been VFX. It’s not like it wasn’t a part of action adventure and fantasy films before then. ‘Die Hard’ was a totally mainstream, non-fantasy thriller and it made extensive use of miniatures for a lot of the big explosions in the film.

But as geek ideas have really gone mainstream we’ve seen a lot more use of VFX for things that, previously, wouldn’t have included them. It’s not enough to find a great location, it has to be altered and extended in post. Costumes are streamlined, smoothed out or even completely replaced. Cars can be crashed on set but they’re often replaced or added to with CG vehicles. Stunt people can face the cameras because their faces will be replaced with those of the actor they’re doubling.

How much of this actually makes better films is a difficult question? How much it makes more successful films is equally hard to answer?

My opinion is that you could pull out between a quarter and a third of the VFX of most blockbusters and the film’s emotional effect would be unchanged.

Given my job it would be crazy of me to wish for that, but if studios are ever going to control costs they’re going to have to ask their filmmakers some tough questions.

I wouldn’t disagree and it is early days but if the global reaction to the latest Transformers becomes a trend then they may have to think beyond just spectacle.

Connected to that I think 3D premiums caused a temporary jump in box office receipts. You can see with Harry Potter the last couple took a 20% leap in revenue but I find it difficult to imagine that many new people jumped on board episodes 7 and 8 of a saga.

I don’t think Marvel or DC are that restrained yet, I think they still mostly operate as standalone films but it is becoming less so.

Also, they’d probably save quite a few bucks if they’d plan their movies better as to avoid so many reshoots… =/

I mean, I know reshoots are always necessary for a lot of reasons, but it seems both BvS and SQ were plagued by multiple edits and reshoots (both of which I assume cost a fair amount of money to do).

To be fair Santum of Qualace was affected by the writer’s strike at the time.

So what you’re saying is that they’re going the way of the western? :open_mouth:

So is the spiralling cost due to more VFX being used, rather than the actual cost per shot going up?

Because it’s always seemed to me that, like any technology, VFX should get cheaper each year, all other things being equal.

But (as a layman) it seems like the effects work is also getting more and more sophisticated. Don’t we expect to pay a lot for cutting-edge technology?

That’s pretty much it.

If you remade ‘Jurassic Park’ with the same shots and the same (basic) approach it would be substantially cheaper.

But they don’t do that, they make ‘Jurassic World’ instead. More dinosaurs, more interaction, bigger park, more mayhem, more shots, more money.

You can see where the reduced costs of established techniques have paid off for TV, although there’s some cutting edge work here and there, most of it is built on the back of developments made elsewhere, but re-purposed really well.

You don’t get dragons in ‘Game of Thrones’ without ‘Jurassic Park’ laying the ground work.

How Marvel & Sony Are Splitting ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Money Revealed

The Wall Street Journal reports that Sony paid the $175 million pricetag for the movie, while Marvel and Disney essentially handled the logistics and creative angle (though, their partners at Sony still had the final say). Sony will get to keep the box office receipts, while Marvel gets to hang onto money made from merchandising. That’s the simple version. Adding some slight complications is an earlier deal, where Disney and Marvel agreed to give up any film revenue, in exchange for a lump sum payment along with a $35 million fee paid to Sony each time they made a Spider-Man movie. However, that $35 million will be reduced if ‘Homecoming’ hits $750 million worldwide.

All of this is enough to make an accountant’s head spin, but the bottom line is that if ‘Homecoming’ is a huge hit, everybody wins. Fans get to see Spider-Man rolling with his other comic book pals for the first time, Sony has a successful new franchise, and Marvel will reap the rewards of what they hope will be a spike in sales for Spider-Man swag.

–SNIP–
http://theplaylist.net/marvel-sony-splitting-spider-man-homecoming-money-revealed-20170630/

Marvel Movies & TV General Discussion

The Spider franchise has suffered a little here from re-boot fatigue but I think there’s also the fact that there are just so many Superhero films now none seem like they’ll break any records unless it’s a massive event movie but say 800 mil or so… the numbers are still fantastic.

Another significant aspect is the US dollar, which the films are measured in. Between 2007 and around 2015 the US fed was using various forms of QE which devalues the currency. It has since then appreciated on average around 15% against most currencies. It will of course vary country by country but that means even by selling the same number of tickets the overseas gross would significantly drop. Say for GotG Vol2 that would take $71m off its gross (in an admittedly rough estimate).

Holy crap, thats a massive chunk.