millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

Yeah, I’ve been really enjoying MoviePass and would recommend it to anyone in the US, really. I usually only see a handful of movies in the cinema each year (mostly the big summer and holiday blockbusters), but I’ve had MoviePass for about 3 1/2 months and have seen around 10 movies so far. It’s made me way more willing to check out some movies I might have been on the fence about or waited to see on Netflix or whatever other streaming service.

Can you use Moviepass on a movie on opening weekend, or do you have to wait a week or two? I’m thinking about getting it this year.

You don’t have to wait. I saw Star Wars on opening weekend. As long as the show isn’t sold out and the theater supports MoviePass (I really haven’t come across any that don’t yet) then you’re good to go. It does only support regular 2D showings, so no IMAX or 3D movies.

IMDB sets their cast list order based on search keywords. So if an actor is searched for more frequently they’ll be moved to the top. It’s resulted in no name extras suddenly being listed at the top of the casts for big budget movies.

Hamill is listed first in the credits too, but that doesn’t make him the lead, unless people want to argue that Harrison Ford was the lead and Hamill the second lead of Force Awakens.

This is a silly argument. We all know who the real lead of these movies is.

It’s true. All of it.

Although I do feel it’s wrong that Fisher came after a guy who was only on screen for 30 seconds.

Box Office: ‘Jumanji’ Overtakes ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ on New Year’s Day

Sony’s holiday hit Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle overtook Star Wars: The Last Jedi for the first time on New Year’s Day, earning $16.2 million in North America.

That compares to $14.5 million for Disney and Lucasfilm’s The Last Jedi.

At the same time, Last Jedi beat Jumanji for the weekend with an estimated $67 million, pushing the tentpole’s global total to $1.067 billion, including $531.9 million domestically.

Jumanji, performing far better than expected since hitting theaters Dec. 20, has grossed $185.6 million to date in North America for a worldwide cume approaching $350 million. Its domestic earnings for the four-day holiday weekend were $66.3 million.

Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, Kevin Hart, Karen Gillan, Nick Jonas and Bobby Cannavale make up the cast of the film about a group of kids who are transported into the Jumanji video game, where they become avatars. No one in Hollywood expected Jumanji to become such a force, but it quickly transformed into an all-audience tentpole and family favorite.

To date, Last Jedi, a sequel to Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is pacing 28 percent behind the $742 million earned by The Force Awakens during the year-end holiday corridor two years ago. At the same time, Last Jedi has already passed up the entire lifetime gross of stand-alone film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story ($1.06 billion), and will soon overtake fellow Disney title Beauty and the Beast ($1.26 billion) to rank as the top release of 2017. Disney has said all along that Force Awakens benefited from huge pent-up demand.

The next big test for The Last Jedi is on Jan. 5 when it opens in China.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-jumanji-overtakes-star-wars-last-jedi-new-years-day-1070976

Is there anything to prevent me from sharing it with my wife? Like if she wants to go to a movie with her friends she can just take my Moviepass?

I love this series! It’s my favorite representation of sports movie tropes to date!

So you have to have the MoviePass App downloaded on your phone and be within 100 yards of the theater in order to “Check In” before you use the MoviePass debit card to buy the ticket. Presumably if she had the App on her phone and was logged into your account then it should all work just fine. Not something I’ve tried since I’m wifeless, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible.

Oho?

The note was written before Disney’s acquisition of Fox’s studio and TV assets. But prior to that event, Citi gave an Apple-Disney tie-up a 20-30% chance.

Apple has for years struggled to offer a compelling TV or movie offering. iTunes has been a huge hit for the company, but viewers have migrated increasingly to services like Netflix, Amazon or Hulu to watch their favourite shows.

The article seems like guesswork but that would definitely be the quickest way to completely ruin Netflix.

Rumors swirling that Amazon could be buying Target this year too. There is a new landscape forming right now.

Let Apple buy Earth, and make Tim Cook ultimate ruler. We could do much worse!

With Disney gobbling everything up it got me thinking about a theoretical future, one so theoretical, that even I, who is not a Business World, or certainly the Business world of entertainment expert, think is unlikely, but here it is, a thought experiment: If Disney would buy WB, what would happen to DC? We saw that instead of giving SW their own publisher under Disney (say, called Lucasfilm Comics) they made them an imprint of Marvel. Would they do that to DC or run them as two separate subsidiaries of Disney? If the former, what would happen to the DCU and MU? Would they remain totally separate? Would there be annual crossovers between the two universes, a la the annual Pre-Crisis “Crisis” crossovers between Earth-1 and Earth-2? Or would they make a Crisis style event fusing them into a Marvel-DC Universe, where both Captain America and Batman, say, have been active in for years? And if so, what would be with the MCU? Would we suddenly get Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman etc. movies as a Phase 5+?

I don’t think Disney is going to buy Warners anytime soon, but I think they would keep the properties separate. They haven’t dropped Star Wars into the Marvel Universe, nor have they put Elsa in The Avengers, so they seem content to let their various franchises remain separate entities. Blending the DC and Marvel universes would upend nearly a century of tradition, and they would probably avoid that.

Yeah they’d keep them separate… but it’s not gonna happen anytime soon. There are some laws that prevent that sort of thing anyways, so until they change those laws at least… :smile:

Combining superhero universes is entirely possible, Disney would do it if it looked like a good idea financially.

Well it all happened a long time ago and in a galaxy far, far away.