millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

Not at all surprisingly, The Last Jedi is now the #1 movie of the year in the US, with $517M to Beauty and the Beast’s $504M: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

More surprisingly, Jumanji made $50M domestic this weekend (up from $36M last weekend), and could easily end up as Sony’s highest-ever non-Bond, non-Spidey movie.

They’ve talked about how they considered several endings that would have set up a sequel before going with a more definitive end, but I guess they’ll find a way to undo that.

The Greatest Showman also had the smallest-ever second-week drop for a major movie, growing 73%:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/smallestdrops.htm?page=DROP3000&p=.htm

I went to see Jumaiji yesterday and it was sold out. I was surprised.

Jumanji actually sold more tickets in Malaysia than Star Wars on the same opening weekend.

huh that’s surprising (about Jumanji), I kind of expected it to tank hard… =/

But then again, F&F… so yeah :smile:

It’s surprising to see Coco do relatively poorly compared to other Pixar films. It got very good reviews and is something of a return to form.

I wonder if being released between Thor and Star Wars hurt it.

The ultimate effect of the price creep is that you lose diversity in the marketplace. People may still go to the cinema, but not as often. And when they do go, they’re going to favor blockbusters and event films. The midlist and the indies suffer when that happens. And even among blockbuster franchises it tends to be feast or famine when audiences expect big expensive event films, but many like Justice League or Blade Runner 2049 can’t put asses in seats.

You see this happening in comics, too, when seemingly half of DC’s output is Batman related and Vertigo and Wildstorm are dying on the vine.

Worldwide it’s doing very well, mainly from Mexico and China. And at least it’s not a flop like Cars 3 or The Good Dinosaur.

Yeah, middle tier properties have huge obstacles these days. Honestly they need to look at alternative business models. I don’t see this trend reversing - it’s the natural conclusion of infinite choice.

With steaming and premium TV middle tier movies have new outlets where they can be king. The big blockbusters need cinema and $600 million just to break even. Netflix paid $100 million for Bright, which is set for multiple sequels and probably a TV series. Had it been a cinema release it’d be deader than dead. Comics need to find this new model too, but they won’t get it from Comixology which is really just tanking the value of comics.

Another thing that I think that is driving the move to superheroes, sci-fi, and fantasy dominating film is that drama is better suited or television these days.

Twenty or more years ago, things like Breaking Bad, _Game of Thrones, _and The Sopranos would have been unthinkable, and if those stories were to be told, they would have been films.

But now that complex, cinematic, and adult stories can be told on television, we’re going to see those kinds of stories migrate to that medium, both cable and online streaming. You can tell a bigger, more complex story over a dozen hours on television than you can in a two hour film. It also helps that high definition has become the norm and has put big screens and crystal clarity in every home.

Good point. Plus the cinema at one point was the only place for quality new drama stories. Now I can get drama anywhere so the cinema really just works best for big cinematic stories that demand to be seen on a big screen - like Dunkirk.

It’s definitely an element for me. If a film is a big visual spectacular I’ll make a point of seeing it at the cinema. With some like Dunkirk or Mad Max Fury Road you are really being somewhat short changed watching on TV.

Something like say Philomena, great story and performances, I can wait for it on the small screen as nothing much is going to be lost.

Yeah I was thinking about that with Kiel’s point above about horror movies replacing rom-coms for date night movies. Another thing about horror is it can’t really translate to TV effectively, so it will always have a home in the multiplex.

And price comes into that - if I’m going to spend $50 to kill 2 hours it’d better be a spectacle.

So the studios need to make spectacular films. People complain that the cinema schedule is dominated by SFX and explosion-heavy genre fare, but generally people can’t look at something like Ladybird or Call me by your name or whatever other small/quiet film and say it’s worth the outlay (no matter how good it is) compared to countless similar films and shows available from their couch.

Wouldn’t cinemas make most of their cash from the snacks and drinks? The mark-up on popcorn and cola at my cinema is massive.

This year was the first time the top 3 movies in the US had female leads since 1958.

Maybe those politically progressive don’t always need to rail against a ‘return to the 50s’. :smile:

Update: I saw Jumanji.

It was kind of shit.

This describes my relationship with cinemas perfectly. I’m not exactly short of disposable income, but I begrudge paying £10 for a movie which “might” be interesting. And throwing extras at me won’t change that – I just want a movie, at a price that my Scrouge-like heart thinks is fair.

But to counter me, I have a friend who sees everything evenly vaguely genre-related on opening night regardless of reviews or word of mouth. In 3D and Imax when possible.

I am at a point where a movie has to promise some very impressive visuals for me to even consider seeing it in 3D. The last one I saw in 3D was Dr Strange. I will say that for me, 3D very rarely makes that much of a difference.

I may have mentioned this previously, but Liz signed both of us up for MoviePass though Costco.com. It costs $89 per person for a one-year subscription, which allows me to see as many films as I want (limited to one film per day). We used it for the first time yesterday, to see The Last Jedi at our local. Given that the theater charges $9.75 minimum for the early shows, I’ll make my money back if I see 10 films this year. Which, given the convenience, I probably will do.

Right now MoviePass is only available in the States, but you should check to see if there is an equivalent service in the UK.

Mark Hamill is the lead in The Last Jedi :stuck_out_tongue:

Wiki:

IMDB: