millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

I’m not a fan of drama-documentaries, but that was an exception.

They could do a Palpatine movie, about a misunderstood politician struggling to build a better world.

If it were 2001 perhaps, ROTS made Sidious’ true views very clear! He didn’t give a toss about building a better world, just one he gets to rule.

Robot Chicken already did it:

I think the box office, and even the fan response, is increasingly about fatigue. Empire was a much smaller hit than the first one, but it generated considerable post-viewing buzz that in a lot of ways solidified fandom more than A New Hope, thanks to that unexpected twist ending. What fans are saying is that they desperately wanted something like that in Last Jedi, and yet that’s the one thing it strenuously avoided, because there had been so many expectations for it that either there couldn’t have been a genuine surprise, or it would’ve been disappointing rather than rewarding, regardless…Thus, we see the tight spot these movies inadvertently created for themselves.

Could the shorter time span between cinema and DVD / streaming release be playing a part too?

Factoring in travel costs, food and ticket and a trip to the flicks can be quite pricey compared to buying a new Blu-Ray.

Gap tends to be about 4 months now.

Yeah, that definitely has to play into it. Episode VII was the first Star Wars movie in 10 years and got to play hugely on nostalgia. Episode VIII is the third Star Wars movie in 2 years. Sure, people were still excited, but there were also different expectations surrounding it.

This Disney model, that it inherited from the Avengers franchise and has obviously extended to great success, is not going to be viewed the same with Star Wars. The Avengers are all loosely connected, so any misfires are easy to dismiss without significantly derailing the ship, because every film is basically standalone. Whereas with Star Wars, half the output is the saga and the other half is anthology. So you get the same basic response every time, fans expecting every one of them to be great. Because as often as not, that next one will define the sum of it moving forward.

Boba Fett was my favorite character when I was a kid from his appearance in ESB.

He’s a badass bounty hunter in a mask with a weird looking spaceship, a rocket pack, James Bond gadgets, and Wookie scalps slung over his shoulder, who blows up the Rebels game. But he’s not strictly a bad guy, just a mercenary out for a payday. My God, man, Wookie scalps! That’s just fuel for the imagination.

One of things that made Star Wars so appealing to me when I was a kid (and made it such a toy pusher) is that Star Wars always hinted at more stories. Who were the other five bounty hunters Darth Vader hired? What were they doing before they artived on Vader’s Star Destroyer? What did they do after Fett captured Solo?

As such, he works best in the story when he’s mysterious. His origin never should have been explained in the prequels, and there was no reason for him to appear in ROTJ. He should have been off doing another job instead of hanging out at Jabba’s palace.

Turns out, way back when, there was a set of short stories done around this very premise - Tales of the Bounty Hunters.

The best fusion I ever read of OT and PT Fett was Blood Ties, a DHC tale that was by Tom Taylor with glorious Chris Scaif art and it really worked. It was only time I saw someone pull off that fusion of info that should have been contradictory.

How did ROGUE ONE and SOLO come about? Did the studio originate the projects and then ask for pitches on those scenarios specifically or did they ask people what Star Wars story they wanted to tell and then chose Rogue One and Solo?

For me, Robot Chicken had the best version of Boba Fett: the arrogant dick who hides his insecurities.

Breckin Meyer just nails what I would like Boba Fett to be.

The 90 day gap agreed between exhibitors and studios has been in place for a very long time now. At least 15 years by my reckoning (remember the argument the chains had with Disney about trying to reduce it in 2010 for Alice in Wonderland?).

@YoungDuke is right that it actually seems to follow the previous Star Wars pattern (using Box Office Mojo domestic numbers here as their historical international ones aren’t always there or correct).

Star Wars - $307m
Empire - $209m
RotJ - $252

Phantom Menace - $431m
Attack of the Clones - $302m
Revenge of the Sith - $380m

Twice they lost a third of the box office on the second episode.

It’s also the plot line to the Star Wars parody comic Darths and Droids.

http://darthsanddroids.net/archive1.html

Rogue One was a pitch, it came from John Knoll, who’s worked at ILM for decades.

I’ve no idea if Solo was a pitch but (guessing) it’s likely that the idea originated internally at Lucasfilm. Lawrence Kasdan has a long relationship with Lucasfilm (having written ESB) and even if it wasn’t his idea, it’s more than likely he was either in the room when it was suggested or they called him shortly after someone else suggested it.

Recasting iconic roles with younger actors makes logical sense from Disney’s perspective. ‘Star Wars’ is a huge collection of IP and Han Solo is on part of that. The character has already featured in many stories in books and comics that did not star Harrison Ford.

From a sentimental point of view (fans) the idea of another actor playing an iconic role looks difficult, even impossible (to some) but to Disney, it’s just freshening up something that is now decades older.

It’s not that they don’t respect creativity or art, but it serves a purpose for them. Their job, their talent in fact, is the use of IP and the channeling of art in the service of their (show) business goals.

Letting the character of Han Solo lapse into disuse because Harrison Ford is 75 years old makes no sense to that approach.

Paramount rebooted ‘Star Trek’ with new actors, Disney are now starting to see if that will work with ‘star Wars’.

And it just might.

Young Indiana Jones was done nearly perfectly and I’d rather just see Harrison Ford as Indy than a younger actor. I think the Solo movie will be very difficult to get right. And Star Wars is screwed if it can expand beyond the core characters and story. The expanded universe books managed it for years - I wish Disney would go in that direction.

Never tell Disney the odds eh? Right now I’d agree with Gar’s scepticism that Solo is a much harder sell than Rogue One. Where Star Trek pulled it off was on the casting, if Disney have done the same here - it could work.

That said, I think lots of people weren’t that interested in Rogue One until the trailers went and got their interest. That was so for me. Kind of weird there hasn’t even been a teaser for a film set for May 2018.

Financially, I can’t see it failing.

I think they don’t like to overlap their marketing as it risks confusion. They didn’t put out a TLJ trailer for quite a while after Rogue One, I think for that reason.

Looks like Justice League doesn’t have much further to go, and is currently on US$647 million worldwide.

That’s the lowest total of any DCU instalment so far.

Crazy to think that a Suicide Squad movie has ended up outperforming a Justice League film.

And it looks like The Last Jedi just hit US$800mn after eleven days.

I would think it will comfortably pass a billion, surely?

Easily, it’s only 10-12 days in depending on territory. Plus most of the international numbers are usually lagging by a few days.

The films have never really taken hugely in China but it hasn’t opened there yet and that should add another $100m at a low estimate.