millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

It’s clearly not that ‘clearly “And”’ or you’d have included it in your original description. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

“and whatnot”…I think covers it.

There were a lot of people in the screening of mother! I went to this evening.

Hopefully they each paid a million dollars a ticket.

Did you like the movie?

There was a very nice poster of Thor in the foyer. I finally got to see some of the original Blade Runner on the big screen: they showed the trailer. I kept looking for the mysterious hidden hairdresser somewhere off screen - I found it hard to believe Mystiqueniss’s character could be that good at doing her own elaborate hairstyles. Took me right out of the movie, that bit did.

Did you see Winter’s Bone?

I can understand why, after that, she became an actress everybody wanted to cast.

Haven’t seen mother yet, but then the people deciding on its budget hadn’t seen it either, and that’s the decision we’re talking about :slight_smile:
Just saying, the movie’s budget is a lot more understandable from that angle than if you compare it to “Noah”.

Filmed with the tools of a horror movie though. That’s what made it different. Second part of the trailer shows it, too:

(I should add that that was really the only interesting thing about that movie. It was otherwise a pretty boring and predictable story with often terrible dialogue.)

So, you know. Artsy thriller/horror material, and Jennifer Lawrence is pretty much in the place where Portman was back then. I can see why they didn’t see a 30 million budget as a big risk when Aaranofsky pitched the movie.

EDIT: All this has really made me want to see mother!, if nothing else.

EDIT: Oh, and this is interesting: “mother!” has a higher metacritic score than rottentomatoes score (75% and 68% respectively), which fits the idea that it is a divisive movie - on rottentomatoes, the movies that do best are the ones with very broad appeal; if everybody kind of liked it but nobody loved it, it will still get 100% percent.

That’s their job though.

They did have the script, and they had the writer/director to talk to about it.

If that isn’t enough then what is?

I don’t know whether anything is, is maybe my point. Black Swan had less than half the budget, and I am sure Fox was very surprised when it made 300 mil. “mother!” was a calculated risk that didn’t pay off, but that doesn’t automatically mean it was a bad call. It’s not all predictable, and sometimes things go wrong and a movie doesn’t find an audience in spite of (maybe?) being a good movie.

And sometimes apples are not oranges.

Being surprised that a relatively comprehensible movie does well is not the same as being surprised that an incomprehensible movie doesn’t do well.

It’s not about whether to make the movie anyway, it’s about how much to spend on it? You make the movie for the right price and it’s a good deal.

$200m is the right price for a ‘Star Wars’ movie. $30m is the wrong price for ‘Mother!’.

I did and you’re right, she was good in that.

I thought Black Swan was awful - a case of the Emperor’s new clothes - but it’s positively elegant and subtle in comparison to Mother!

Aronofsky is pretty interesting. I think if you were to canvas people on a ranking of his films you’d get some wildly different answers.

Winter’s Bone is, to me, by far her best performance. Since then her performances seem to fall into two categories: disaffected, or kind of manic. It works in some of those movies, but she definitely doesn’t seem to have the kind of range I would have expected after seeing Winter’s Bone all those years ago.

My wife just got in from “mother” and the first thing she said was “I wish I hadn’t seen that.”

Black Swan is possibly her favorite movie of the last 10 years.

I think Aronofsky’s films reek of intellectual pretension and Black Swan and Mother! are the clearest examples of that. Neither is anywhere near as clever as Aronofsky thinks they are.

Oh no.

Poor Mrs. Robert. :anguished: I’m still trying to un-see most of it. I had some very disturbing nightmares afterwards.

Black Swan is amazing. It’s one of my favourites too.
Take her dancing, Robert.

I’m going to see It now.
I don’t like clowns.

Weirdly, the clown in “It” is not very scary at all.

Apparently “mother” had some bad stuff happening to or with a baby, which is always pretty dicey imagery to put in your mass-release movie. I can’t speak for you but my wife is no shrinking violet when it comes to horror movies so it must have been very unpleasant.

Too bad it didn’t turn out more satisfying though.

Sony Pictures Television Takes Stake in Simon Pegg’s, Nick Frost’s Production Banner

Stolen Picture, the U.K.-based production banner launched by Simon Pegg and his long-term collaborator Nick Frost in May this year, has found itself a major backer.

Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures Television said Wednesday that it has taken a minority stake in the company, while also signing an exclusive TV distribution deal. Financial details weren’t disclosed.

–SNIP–

Said Pegg and Frost, who first worked together on the cult U.K. TV series Spaced in 1999: “We’re inordinately excited to be partnering with Sony and hope to create a diverse range of television and film in line with our own sensibilities. More than that we hope to receive free Walkmans and a lifetime’s supply of cassettes.”

Stolen Picture is currently in postproduction on its first project, the comedy horror Slaughterhouse Rulez, starring Finn Cole, Asa Butterfield, Hermione Corfield and Michael Sheen, alongside Pegg and Frost. Sony Pictures Releasing International has worldwide rights to distribute.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-pictures-television-takes-stake-simon-peggs-production-banner-1041392

Directed by Crispian Mills, who also did Pegg’s A Fantastic Fear of Everything, which I don’t think anyone saw?