millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

In a weird way, I think the all clown showing would have kept me from going into my head and putting myself in the movie the way I usually watch films.

Being surrounded by clowns of so many different styles and presentations would be real-world grounding element for me.

I think horror is so effective on me because I retreat into my head and I’m more or less alone in the dark with the movie, which is cool for kick-splode action, but constricting for horror.

You realize that to go to an all clown showing, you would also have to dress as a clown. :wink:

They’ll have face painters there. I would have been a bourgeoisie clown. :slight_smile:

Bougie the Clown may be a potentially untapped market. :wink:

I’d probably wind up looking like a Capitol extra from The Hunger Games movies.

Surely the way to make an all-clown showing really pop is to sell four tickets to people that don’t know it’s an all-clown screening.

So, just got back from “IT.” I wouldn’t call it a “scary” movie, but it is an intense movie with a lot of head-turning WTF moments that aren’t all caused by the evil-death-clown. Seriously, I won’t be having any nightmares about this, but it was a very enjoyable movie.

I think what unnerves me most is the unspoken, but definitely insinuated, complicity of the adults, making the kids lives miserable. Some of it is just the nature of Pennywise, but the movie enhances the effect by putting the adults in makeup and costumes just off enough to make them and Pennywise seem like… not comparable emotional threats, but as complicit in undermining the protagonists’ emotional well being.

The movie is full of kids doing dumb kid things though, and while I’ve never seen a rated-R YA movie before, I think “IT” counts as one.

It was a beautiful movie that hits all the YA moments, except for romance. There’s puppy love and such, but no YA style romance.

Some of the majorly squicky sexual moments from the novel have definitely been removed from the movie.

I liked the character Ben, we need more heroic, action, fat kids in movies. He was awesome.

It is just the first part of the novel “IT” but is such a complete story. I’d actually call it “nice” even “beautiful” because of the cinematography. If they get the chance to to the second half of the novel, I think I may be more fear-affected, because the biggest horrors in this movie, outside of the clown, seem to be isolation and growing up.

With the current buzz and tracking for It, I think the second part is basically a guarantee. Really looking forward to seeing the movie soon.

I’ve not seen the movie yet, but this was definitely a major plot point in the book:

Bill’s parents became distant to him after Georgie’s death, Beverly’s father was abusive (physically, emotionally, and sexually), Ben’s mother made him obese, and Eddie’s mother was so overprotective that he became a hypochondriac. Mike’s family was good. I don’t remember much about Stan’s family, and Richie’s family seemed more or less normal from what was presented. In at least Beverly’s case, there’s a strong implication that Pennywise’s influence escalated the abuse. It’s also presented that Derry has, historically, had a dark side due to Pennywise setting up shop there. So the ‘bad parent theme’ could be due to that…

I have to read the book now. Ooh, I have Audible credits. Maybe I should burn one on this.

The audiobook for IT is 44 HOURS long. OMG!

If you want to make money in Hollywood, go to law school;

Paramount Settles Production Assistant Defecation Class Action For $700K

Over a year and a half after a quartet of production assistants launched a class action lawsuit against Paramount Pictures, Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appain Way, Red Granite Pictures and others over not being paid minimum way and overtime, everyone today is asking a federal judge to sign off on the six-figure settlement they’ve reached.

In case, you’ve not heard this was the lawsuit where the P.A.’s claimed in their initial January 21, 2016 filing that “many of the plaintiffs are forced to urinate and defecate into bottles and buckets in their vehicles.” Working on flicks like The Wolf Of Wall Street, the NYC-based P.A.’s primary duty was, as the January 2016 jury demanding complaint said, “secure sets, lots and streets” for the movies they were working on.

Needless to say, this risked becoming a messy business for the studio and the production companies if it went to trial and revealed some of the dirty side of the industry.

On Friday, after months of negotiations and preliminary proposals, the plaintiffs submitted Unopposed Motion for Final Approval of the Class and Collective Action Settlement that would see $700,000 put into a fund by Paramount and Red Granite.

That’s $700,00 that lawyers at Valli Kane & Vagnini LLP will get $233,333.33 of if there are no 11th hour objections and U.S. Magistrate Judge James Francis gives the settlement the green light after a September 19 “fairness hearing.”

In an accompanying memorandum of law, the attorneys make a point of say that “Class Counsel contends that this request for one-third (1/3) of the Settlement Amount for attorneys’ fees, costs and expenses is reasonable and is within the accepted range typically awarded in contingency fee common fund and FLSA cases” (read it here). Valli Kane & Vagnini LLP also notes “not a single objection was received to Class Counsel’s request for attorneys’ fees, costs and expenses.”

–SNIP–

If given final approval by the NYC based judge, the settlement ensures that no one of the claimants will receive anything less than $50 from the agreement. Initial plaintiffs Christian Pellot, Joselyn Wint, Ali Muhammed and Johnathan Tucker will get $2,500 each and mediation participants Corey Leach, Priamo Fermin and Ray Delgadillo will get $1,000 each.

“The Settlement confers substantial benefits on the Settlement Class Members without the risk and uncertainty of litigation,” states the proposed judgment and final approval order that was submitted today to Judge Francis (read it here). “Settlement Class Members are recovering the equivalent of 100% of their alleged overtime damages and substantial relief on their other claims, after attorney fees, service awards, claims administration,” it goes on to say.

–SNIP–
http://deadline.com/2017/09/paramount-class-action-settlement-production-assistant-defecation-red-granite-1202164829/

Impressive.

Just to come back to this. I got my MoviePass card about a week ago and finally had time to use it. Basically you need two things: a smartphone with the MoviePass App and your MoviePass card (which is just a debit card). When you arrive at the theater you use the App to check in, which seems to activate your card. Then you just buy your ticket using the card. Works with the ticket buying kiosks, so it’s super easy. So technically you could share your login for the App and let someone borrow your card if you haven’t used it that day. But that’s kind of a hassle. Anyway, the ticket was $11 so it’s already more than paid for itself this month. Might try to catch another movie tomorrow. If not I’ll definitely be back next weekend.

Looks like it ended up at $117 million (and around $180 million with global numbers added in). So IT really shattered even the best expectations that were out there. I know the response here has been underwhelming, but as a lifelong fan of the horror genre it’s still nice to see an R-rated horror movie perform so well. I think this is actually the biggest opening for an R-rated horror movie ever.

It’s a huge success, the audience I saw it with were overwhelming happy with the movie.

Yeah it got applause in the screening I went to. And in a lot of ways it is undeniably more satisfying than the average horror film so I get it.

Yeah, the set-pieces really worked. I might be vitriolic about the movie, but those were good.

Since this was on a big delay when I did my ‘half term’ box office report. Spider-Man homecoming had gone up to over $800m.