millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

Pff. Arsenal. What do they know about baking?

Well, more after watching the show.

Here’s a real “Holy Shit!” moment:

Lionsgate’s action comedy The Hitman’s Bodyguard is beating industry projections by a bit with an estimated $12M over four-days, the only pic to hold the top spot for three weekends in a row this summer.

It’s extra crazy since it didn’t get particularly good reviews.

But it’s not even good!

I enjoyed it fine. It’s a throwback to the kind of buddy action-comedies they don’t really make anymore.

But without any panache.
The humour didn’t really land for me either, which is obviously a big component of the movie.

It didn’t even make it into the top five films I saw in the cinema in August.

It must be so cool to live in a cinema. :slight_smile:

I’ve been trying to work out if I’ve seen more than 5 all year. I’ve seen more than I thought, but I used to go pretty much every week.

What are your top 5 August films?

This might actually be the year that I’ve been to the cinema the most. I don’t seem to be having any impact on the box office though.

My top five for August are:

1. Detroit
  2. Atomic Blonde
  3. Shin Godzilla
  4. Valerian: The City of a Thousand Planets
  5. Logan Lucky

Although really the IMAX release of Your Name is #1. :blush:

Although really really Terminator 2 in 3D is #1! :sunglasses:

The Hitman’s Bodyguard is like number eight or something, behind The Dark Tower (which is shorter).

I’ve seen 2. Which is huge as I saw 0 in 2016. And only 1 in 2015.

I’ve seen Atomic Blond twice. I’ll probably go see it again tomorrow… which really is later today.

That doesn’t say anything about what women want to watch, it just confirms the unrelated fact that football is over-hyped rubbish.

(According to the article, GBBO still had nearly twice as many female views than male, so still clearly a girl’s programme.)

(Yes, trying for the clean sweep of how many groups I can offend :wink: ).

So, not here to crow about Atomic Blonde again, but I wanted to comment on the experience of seeing a movie in a new theater.

Alamo Drafthouse built a new theater for the old Mueller Municipal Airport development area that opened in the last few months.

It still has all the frills and such of being an Alamo, including the BEST BATHROOMS EVER.

However, it also has beautiful screens and sound. The picture and sound quality made this third screening of a movie I’ve definitely liked in other venues, nearly transformative in the amount of new details conveyed. I will never put down the effect picture and sound quality can have on enjoyment. I’m exceedingly happy to spend the money on cinema experiences like that, especially since there’s no way in hell I’m building a home cinema for myself.

Jerry Bruckheimer, doing his job, talking up his franchises;

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/jerry-bruckheimer-thrilled-phenomenal-performance-pirates-5-talks-sequels-bad-boys-top-gun-150036081.html

Short version; Pirates made $790m, which is a big drop, but still a lot of money. He wants to make ‘Bad Boys 3’ but Martin Lawrence is less optimistic (you’d think he’d be the one pushing it) and ‘Top Gun 2’ shouldn’t be delayed by Tom Cruise’s broken bones.

I thought Lawrence wasn’t optimistic because of Will Smith’s busy schedule, not because he didn’t want to make it.

I love MMA and the UFC have had their issues regarding fighter pay but the NFL can go jump off a cliff. At least the UFC has done a lot for fighters in offering monitoring their health while the NFL has purposefully stamped down and ignored the concussion issue and are making it extremely difficult for former players to get any kind of benefit from the current studies.

Well, just bought my ticket to a showing of “IT” for tonight. This will be the first non sci-fi horror movie I’ve seen in a cinema in decades. I didn’t even see “Get Out” because the commercials freaked me out, so of course I’m going to watch a shape-shifting clown hunt children.

At least I have a seat on the end of the row so I can leave without interrupting anyone’s viewing.

Please tell me you’re not going to the all clown showing?

No. :slight_smile: That was all sold out when I finally decided to go.

Are you saying you would have gone to the all clown showing if given the chance???