millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

Based on the estimates, this was the worst weekend for the US box office since September 2001: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4319&p=.htm

Overall, of the grosses reported thus far, this weekend’s combined total of $64 million is the worst overall weekend since the end of September 2001. While there are still several smaller releases yet to report (and it should be said the Mayweather and McGregor fight is said to have brought in nearly $2.4 million from theatrical showings itself) this will still rank as one of the five worst weekends in the last five years.

Ah, the bad box office of September 2001…Never forget.:yum:

On September 12, 2001, a friend and I walked around Manhattan for much of the morning. It was pretty wild, there was nobody out at all and no cars on the street. We walked right now the middle of 5th Avenue for a while and it was like 28 Days Later.

We walked by a multiplex and they were open and had all screenings free. We went in and it was an Apocalypse Now anniversary screening. That was a little too uncomfortable and on the nose so we left the theatre and went to a Count of Monte Cristo remake, which was super crappy.

I can see why the box office was so bad.

These stories are crazy to me given how we all looked at the slate in January and thought this year would be huge box office (admittedly, that speculation involved Nov/Dec movies too).

Something is happening here. Honestly I think stateside the 24/7 Trumpcycle is sapping people’s attention span from other entertainment, and wearing them down. The NFL, usually a rock of consistency, is way down in ratings too.

I think the sequels have caught up with the studios as everyone is looking for something new and there’s nothing at the cinema that feels essential. I’m not sure when the last buzzworthy new hit was. Add to that the increase in streaming TV and the quality of TV in general. It’s a big canary in the coal mine for both movies and comics. Entertainment demands have changed.

NFL is dipping because I think enough people are being turned off by the concussion issue. Plus fantasy isn’t what it used to be anymore.

They weren’t massive hits but Get Out and Baby Driver both fit the bill—they exceeded expectations and everyone was talking about them.

I definitely agree that not a lot feels essential. I’m not sure TV has replaced it as the audience is so splintered, but franchise fatigue seems to be setting in and it’s awful hard to get excited about all of these third, fourth, fifth sequels.

A little off topic but I’m not totally convinced the concussion issue is hurting the NFL. I can definitely see the point but the meteoric rise of MMA says otherwise.

Maybe but that depends on how much crossover there is between the fanbase. People who are inclined to watch combat sports like MMA are less likely to be dissuaded from watching by the concussion issue. NFL probably has (had?) considerably more casual viewers who would find it more uncomfortable to watch as concerns about concussions get more mainstream attention.

There are several other factors to consider as well. The “bloat” of the games making it harder to engage an audience that is growing accustomed to quicker hits from their entertainment. The general fragmentation of the entertainment world. People who are way more interested in their fantasy football than the results of their actual football. A lack of crossover superstar power. How hot the NBA is in comparison. Cord cutting. The increasing influence of younger viewers who have not grown up regarding the NFL as being as essential as their parents held it to be.

So, the other day I was just browsing foreign box office on boxofficemojo, and I noticed that overall, Japan barely watches any superhero films. Spiderman Homecoming did 17 mil, GotG2 did 10, while Beauty and the Beast did 110 mil, and that pattern is pretty much reflected in all other superhero films as well. Seems like the only films that are really successful there are animated films and Disney classic re-makes. Anyone know much more about that? The discrepancy just seems crazy to me, and the only thing I can guess is that basically Japanese filmgoers are almost all families.

No basis for this - first thing that comes to mind is that with anime and manga Japan already has a world of superhero equivalents that make western ones look dumb by comparison.

That they do
Kamen_Rider_1_(B-3)

I dunno, South Korea and much of the rest of the east/southeast Asian world grew up with much the same, yet there’s still a sizeable fanbase for Western superheroics in each of them. Japan seems to stand apart more than I really expected it would.

Those are really good points. My initial point stemmed from someone I believe in the league or associated with ESPN opining that the election coverage hurt entertainment ratings last year. And it really seems like the election never ended, so I extrapolated that out to box office as well.

Maybe it was the eclipse last week. :wink:

Movie Theater Chain Stocks Collapse During Dismal Summer

Woe unto those who have owned stock in movie theaters this summer, as their investments have been thrashed even in a bull market, the impetus being lousy attendance in the past three months.

The largest chain, AMC Entertainment, with 11,083 screens in 1,009 theaters, has been hit hardest, its shares dropping a dramatic 45 percent since Memorial Day while the Dow Jones Industrial Average has gained nearly 4 percent.

Regal Entertainment (7,379 screens in 566 theaters) has seen shares plunge 28 percent in the same time frame while shares of Cinemark Holdings (5,926 screens in 529 theaters) have dropped 18 percent.

Owners of Imax, which operates a network of 1,257 giant movie screens at theaters worldwide, watched their shares plunge 31 percent while owners of National Cinemedia, the company most responsible for putting advertising on movie screens, saw their shares shed 25 percent of their value since Memorial Day.

Even with It, the scary clown movie from Warner Bros. and Kingsman: The Golden Circle from Twentieth Century Fox yet to come, when final third-quarter numbers come in FBR Capital Markets analyst Barton Crockett predicts a domestic box office of $2.36 billion, which would be nearly a 21 percent slide compared with the year prior.

Because of a strong first quarter and what he predicts will be a strong fourth quarter, the box office should rebound for the entire year, but it will still fall 3.2 percent to $11.01 billion on an annual basis, Crockett predicts.

Ironically, year-over-year totals will decline even though this year’s top three movies thus far — Beauty and the Beast, Star Wars: The Last Jedi (both from Disney) and Wonder Woman (from Warner Bros.) — have outperformed last year’s top three, which were Finding Dory, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and Captain America: Civil War (all three of which hail from Disney).

In the fourth quarter analysts are expecting big things from Justice League, Thor: Ragnarok and Star Wars: The Last Jedi, then another two Star Wars films next year. But even if the box office rebounds in the near term, it could be tough sledding for the long haul if premium video on demand becomes reality.

Studios may launch PVOD — where consumers get a movie on their TV screens for about $30 shortly after its release into theaters — as early as this year, say some observers. MoffettNathanson Research analyst Robert Fishman estimates that PVOD could cost the movie exhibition industry $380 million annually.

“Until we get some resolution on PVOD, it will be difficult for the theater stocks to make sustained headway,” says Steven Birenberg of Northlake Capital Management.

On a bullish note, moviegoers love the recliner seats and other amenities theater chains have been adding lately, but even there, Birenberg worries that some consumers will be of the attitude: “Tried it once, but it did not change my moviegoing frequency.”

-SNIP–

Even with a dramatic drop from one year to the next, Disney should dominate the other studios, with its top 20 films raking in $2.32 billion in 2017, ahead of second-place Warner Bros. at $2.03 billion.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/movie-theater-chain-stocks-collapse-dismal-summer-1034001

Again, the bit I take from it is that additional things like reclining seats are welcome, but don’t sell more tickets.

People go to the movies, for the movies.

Umm, what? The Last Jedi is out already!? Why didn’t you guys tell me???

Yeah, every story puts SW:TLJ (Dec. 15th/'17) in first place when talking about the year.
It’s going to happen, so no point denying.

Scott Mendelson at Forbes.com (others?) made the point that if you count it as a female-led movie, then with B&TB and WW it’s 1-2-3 for female led movies domestically.
Pretty cool for the ladies.

The studios have sort of woken up to the potential of the female audience, they just not sure what films to make to really get them in the cinemas?

The Great British Bake-Off: The Movie?

Think again;