millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

What, you thought only the Skrulls planted agents on Earth?

Most people I’ve seen are cheering the movie, not Disney as a corporation. And they certainly aren’t telling anyone the world is worse than it is (again, we’re perfectly capable of understanding the world just fine without marketing).

Is Disney reaping the financial rewards? Of course. Welcome to capitalism (which, again, everyone understands).

So, it’s looking this one is definitely going to crack the billion, huh?

LIVE KREE OR DIE!!!

There’s not many companies who’ve shamelessly capitalized social justice like Disney. People will be writing books about this shit.

If Captain Marvel and Aquaman both make a billion I don’t see why Shazam would be some kind of bomb. The early buzz makes it sound like it’s a better movie than either of those and the demand for this stuff is still there. It will probably make Deadpool or Venom money, and potentially more. There are school vacations in April too.

I don’t necessarily expect Shazam to bomb, but I don’t think it will have the visual appeal Aquaman had to sell it in international markets and it’s hard to know if the humor will translate well outside of North America. It’ll basically have 4 weeks to make its money before Endgame comes along. I’m also not sure what kind of release schedule it has worldwide. I can’t find a release date for China, for example. I’d more expect Ant-Man type money from it. So maybe $550-$650 million. Great word of mouth could push it higher, though.

To me, Shazam just seems like a movie parents wouldn’t hesitate to take their young kids to see. Unless there’s an upcoming trailer where necks are being snapped (cue @RonnieM), this looks like a very child-friendly film.

Yeah, Ant-Man money seems right as the upper end.

I think it’s hard to tell when you’re a white male. I certainly enjoy movies about people who are very different from me - in terms of gender, race, social and cultural background etc.

But on the other hand, I did grow up with tall curly-haired white dudes as my heroes on TV.

I find it hard to imagine what it would have been like if there had been only a very few lead characters during that time of growing up that represented my own background. And I think it’s a very different thing to, as an adult, look for different experience than what you’re looking for as a kid.

I have a ridiculously strong connection to The Last Dragon, of all things, because it was the first movie where I saw someone that I identified with in a different way as the hero.

I certainly hope Shazam makes a load of money, they did a great job with the lead character it seems .

But the lead villain looks like a bore. He is supposed to be Sivana I guess but he looks like a typical strong guy, which I don’t think Sivana is at all.

Did you start glowing? :wink:

I actually really love that film.

And you can add marketers to the list. We know advertising and promotion is as scummy as you can get and I’m not cheering them as champions of justice, what I’m saying is that clearly they have found out something we’ve known for years - if you have characters and stories that people connect with in a wish fulfilment manner then you will make die hard fans.

There’s a distinct line between creative and marketing that Disney has gotten really good at blurring, but having Superheroes to look up to as kids and beyond, I think, has made us good people. To most people, especially young girls, it doesn’t matter what the marketing is, the thing that they are able to take from this is the core values represented in the story relating directly to them. It’s fun, but it isn’t the best movie in the world, but it nails that aspect better than Supergirl, better than Elektra, better than Wonder Woman and sure as fuck better than Catwoman. We always talk about how the strength of a movie sells it rather than promotion, if a well promoted film isn’t good enough that promotion will only get you so far. This is pretty much a kids movie that adults can enjoy and it excels on that front. I, as much as anyone, understand the cut throat nature and hypocrisy of marketing because I have to basterdize myself in that way to make money DJing no matter how much effort I put into any given gig, but if you tear away all those things there is genuine creative truth and if it isn’t there, people smell it and get turned off. It’s always been that way. I don’t think creative people should ever be chastised for the sins of the business if there is care and attention and love going towards making something and we all can think of hundreds of movies that have strong creative merit and hundreds that were spat out with no real thought.

I’ll fight Disney on the beaches with you over a ton of stuff, but not for this.

I really haven’t seen anyone “cheering Disney”. It’s been more like “about fucking time”. I think a lot of people are smart enough to see Disney is a profit-driven company and they are cashing in on the strong female empowerment wave that is running through the world right now.

But keep this in mind, Disney got lucky as fuck with the timing of the movie and societal upheavals such as MeToo:

By May 2013, a script for a Ms. Marvel film—the moniker used by the character Carol Danvers before she took the mantle of Captain Marvel—had been written for Marvel Studios through its writing program.[47] Later that year, executive producer Louis D’Esposito said the studio was interested in a female-driven superhero film and had plenty of “strong female characters” from which to choose, suggesting Captain Marvel, Black Widow, Pepper Potts, or Peggy Carter as possible candidates.[48] Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios, said that if Marvel was to make a female-led film, he would prefer it to be a new character to the Marvel Cinematic Universe like Captain Marvel, for whom an origin story could be told.[49] In August 2014, Feige stated that Black Panther and Captain Marvel were “both characters that we like, that development work has been done on and is continuing to be done on” and that the studio is often asked about it by the public, “more than Iron Man 4 , more than [ Avengers: Infinity War ]…I think that’s something that we have to pay attention to.”[50]

In October 2014, Feige announced that Captain Marvel would be released on July 6, 2018, as part of their Phase Three slate of films;[52] it would be the studio’s first female-led film.[53] He said Captain Marvel would be based on the Carol Danvers version of the character, and that the film had been in development at the studio “almost as long” as other films like Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) or Doctor Strange (2016) with one of the main issues being “figuring out what we wanted to do with it. Her adventures are very earthbound, but her powers are based in the cosmic realm.”[52] Feige said that a writer and director would be announced “quite soon”, and female filmmakers were being considered, though he could not promise that Marvel would “hire from any one demographic”.[54]

In February 2015, Marvel pushed the release date back to November 2, 2018.[55] In early April, Feige revealed that Captain Marvel had been included in an early draft of the Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) screenplay, but was removed as “it didn’t feel like the time. We didn’t want to introduce her fully formed flying in a costume before you knew who she was or how she came to be.”[56] He also said that Marvel would announce writers for the film “in the next week or two”,[57] and by mid-April, Guardians of the Galaxy co-screenwriter Nicole Perlman and Inside Out (2015) co-screenwriter Meg LeFauve were announced to be writing the screenplay.[58] The duo were put together as a writing team after impressing Feige with separate takes on the character,[59] and began work on the film within a month.[60] LeFauve found the character being a female superhero to be both “wonderful” and a challenge, particularly because of how powerful the character is which could lead to the “Superman curse” of being perceived to be invulnerable.[61]

By May, Marvel had discussions with Ava DuVernay about directing Captain Marvel or Black Panther (2018),[62] which Feige confirmed a month later, saying that he had met with DuVernay amongst a number of other directors and expected a decision to be made by mid- to late 2015.[63] That September, Feige said that the casting process would not begin until 2016, as “we’re scripting the film, figuring out who we want Carol Danvers to be, and really what the structure of the movie will be and what her part will be in some of our other Phase 3 films.” Producer Jeremy Latcham elaborated that “getting the character right first is going to lead the charge. We want to make sure we know who it is before we can start figuring out who should play it.”[64] In October 2015, Marvel changed the release date once again, moving it back to March 8, 2019.[65]

In regards to the Me Too Movement:

The movement began to spread virally in October 2017 as a hashtag on social media in an attempt to demonstrate the widespread prevalence of sexual assault and harassment, especially in the workplace.

Disney didn’t create anything. They simply had their marketing take advantage of the times.

And yet most other movies with women leading to co-starring didn’t have to make ‘I am woman, hear me roar’ be their central marketing theme.

Other people do this isn’t an excuse.

Honest question: Has there been a point in your life where you’ve felt under attack or marginalized - politically, culturally, or physically - because of your identity? Right now that’s how people of color, people in the LGBTQ community, and women often feel. It feels like any escalation, and so of course we’re going to respond more strongly to empowerment narratives that center on that. Many women just saw a man who bragged about grabbing women win the presidency against a woman who has been attacked since she first came on the national stage in part because she didn’t ascribe to traditional ideas of the role of women (see: the First Lady as co-President/“Two for the price of one”), and then watched his nominee for the Supreme Court, who was accused of sexual assault, get confirmed. That, along with the MeToo movement, or the often sexist attacks directed at people liked Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, is the context that’s driving people to these films. I know I didn’t respond to Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman in the same way many women did, but that also doesn’t mean their response is invalid.

I can answer that for Jim, yes, all three as he is from Northern Ireland and of a particular religion. I don’t think that has much to do with the point he’s making here, though, which is marginalization being used as a tool to both make people feel victimized and empowered at the same time.

He’s the anti-Disney. He also has a terribly small penis, but that’s not relevant.

Sure, but my point is that the movies and studios aren’t creating that marginalization (even if they contribute to it in other ways) and that there’s a specific and different context than there was when Alien or Elektra came out.

And similarly, I probably don’t respond to things like Braveheart (for the revolt against the British) or In the Name of the Father as someone from Northern Ireland might.

Being marginalized is part of the human condition.