millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

The exit polls of people who have seen it are very good, so it’s not just critics, but those people were very motivated to seek it out, and there haven’t been enough of them so far.

It’s the first-ever movie Annapurna have distributed; it’s possible they didn’t do a great job with it.

A lot of their movies as a production company have underperformed too.

The trailers for Detroit made me feel stressed, so genuinely uncomfortable I could not see myself going to watch the actual movie. I don’t doubt it’s good, but, well the trailers make me feel like I want to leave the theater and be alone for a while. I don’t think I could take that in a movie.

I had a similar but much milder reaction to the Dunkirk trailers. It was too intense, the notion of the reality of it is too much to derive movie enjoyment from.

Movies are escapism for me. Detroit is far too real, especially if I listen to my parents and aunts and uncles talk about those times.

Oh, and I’m pleasantly surprised Kidnap did as well as it did considering all the twists and turns that movie went through to for a theatrical release.

I saw the Dark Tower this weekend. It is not as terrible as some people are saying but it is not good either.

Speaking of Netflix and their rivals, it seems to be surprisingly hard to figure out how to offer a streaming service and do it right. Amazon has terrible navigation, and it took them astonishingly long to figure out how to offer an option for different languages without having to do a search for an [OV] tag. I’ve bought Sky Go for two months to be able to watch the current season of Game of Thrones, and you watch it in a box in the browser that only allows, well, small box size (while there’s a lot of distracting stuff around that box) or full-screen - while you can adapt movies on Netflix easily to any size if you want to do other stuff on the side. And the content on SkyGo takes ages to load, for some reason, and it doesn’t seem to buffer properly.

There seem to be a lot of reasons for Netflix’s success, but this side of it still kind of surprises me - these are big corporations, and they can’t seem to be able to figure out stuff that should be fairly easy to do properly.

The user interface is so bad. Honestly, why they decided to use the same list format as their regular store is beyond me. But it just makes searching for stuff insanely tedious and gets numbing since they also list duplicates.

I use the app now, since it’s format is pretty simple.

User friendliness and (for physical products) ergonomics is something that an astonishing number of products get wrong. My guess is that it usually way lower on the priority list than it should be, and it should arguably be the #1 or #2 (after branding) priority.

Netflix is really good at this. Although personally I think their interface is more algorithm based and less customizable than it should be, there is no denying that it is extremely easy to set up and intuitive to use.

Aye, the only misstep for Netflix is getting rid of the rating system.

It was more intuitive than the “thumbs up/down” thing.

I find Netflix pretty fuckin terrible as well, tbh… Although apprently it’s not the same everywhere since I still see star ratings… And it might be the best on the market, but that doesn’t mean it’s good =/

Yeah, I still don’t get that. There’s a whole lot of movies that I think weren’t so bad I’d give them the thumbs down, but I also don’t want to give a thumbs up because it wasn’t good enough that I want Netflix to start prioritising movies like this for me. So I don’t rate them at all.

I do understand the reason for changing it:

Why the big change?

Netflix’s Cameron Johnson, who oversaw the shift, told Business Insider that it all came from the realization that Netflix had always used star ratings differently than the rest of the internet, but that this distinction wasn’t clear to users.

Netflix’s star ratings were personalized, and had been from the start. That means when you saw a movie on Netflix rated 4 stars, that didn’t mean the average of all ratings was 4 stars. Instead, it meant that Netflix thought you’d rate the movie 4 stars, based on your habits (and other people’s ratings). But many people didn’t get that.

But even with that, they could’ve introduced a third thumb-to-the-side thumb for “just okay”, and that would’ve helped immensely.

What I don’t like is that the Thumbs down doesn’t really change anything once I do it. It blanks it out, which might be cool, but when I come back it’s still around unblanked again. Why the faux theatrics?

People didn’t get that? On the website it literally said “our best guess for you” next to the stars. Then below that was the average based on all the ratings.

Yeah, and I saw another article showing how people were rating things they liked high, but didn’t watch them as much as things they liked less.

So they put in the thumbs up and down thing to get rid of the ambiguity, I think.

I wonder if that was because, at least in the US, a lot of Netflix’s content is crap so there’s just more stuff to watch that you end up not liking.

I know that was the case for me.

Hell, use Amazon more now

Yeah, it was also the case with me. I was shocked to find that all the film Netflix recommended to me they also thought I’d only rate 1 or 2 stars.

They got rid of, or at least hid, the “average” a while back, before switching over.

What will be included in Disney’s service?

In America at least, the Disney app will have the exclusive rights to Disney and Pixar movies, starting with 2019 releases like Toy Story 4 and the sequel to Frozen.

So no Star Wars and Marvel then?

Nope, not yet at least.

Disney CEO Robert Iger said his company was considering whether it should continue licensing Marvel and Star Wars movies to providers like Netflix, move them into the Disney app, or develop individual services for them.