millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

It seems like a lot of the difference depends where Christmas actually falls in the calendar. If Christmas is early in the week or on a Sunday, then the weekend (or even couple of weeks) before will naturally be low because people - especially family audiences - tend to stay home with their families than deal with the military campaign necessary to go to a movie.

Then the following week and weekend after Christmas and before New Years jumps up because people are tired of staying home because they usually still are off from work.

I think Christmas is a big element, it does disrupt the normal flow of the week (in Christian countries of course). It’s a bad time to release films in the UK, not so much around the holiday but directly on it as some films do, nobody goes to the cinema around then. I remember Keanu Reeves on UK radio trying to explain why his film came out on Christmas Day to some bafflement that his family in the US went to the cinema at Christmas - they aren’t even open in the UK (so it was a Boxing Day release). Now global box office is such a big thing and simultaneous release is the norm it’s often hard to manage that kind of thing, each country will vary which holidays they follow and how they follow them.

Saying that the Spiderverse boost wasn’t seen with other films with a similar target audience like Bumblebee so I do think the pretty fantastic word of mouth that it’s getting has helped too in it not dropping off.

Yeah, I was surprised to read recently that Christmas Day is the single biggest day of the year for moviegoing in the US.

I’m hoping it’s a case where the first film lays the groundwork for a bigger sequel (in terms of box office).

It’s also worth noting that this month is a ghost town for releases, aside from Glass, so it will probably stick around in theaters for awhile.

This past december was not a good month for it… too busy. They should’ve waited to january or february which often have lighter schedules.

True, but they were probably hoping to get a boost from kids being out of school during December. And, to some extent, the awards buzz it’s gotten has probably helped.

Yep. A comedy with John C Reilly and Will Ferrell I’m more than willing to take a chance on regardless of reviews.

That a bunch of no personality fucks didn’t enjoy it doesn’t tell me much about whether the movie is funny or not.

I’m interested to see Long Days Journey Into Night but it is very much an art film and I can see why the citizens of China may have felt duped.

But a backlash is spreading after many audience members said they felt short-changed by the film, and cheated into believing it was a much more mainstream movie. Some felt angered by what they suspected was cultural snobbery at play. Wrote one commentator on Weibo: “Those who say that the film had artistic meanings that we’re just unable to understand, please go eat shit.”

Of course the article eventually compares the situation to the backlash that audiences gave The VVitch, a movie that I really should get around to watching.

It’s interesting this came out around the same time as Stan and Ollie. JC Reilly might tie Sandra Bullock winning an Oscar and Raspberry award in the same year.

I had no idea there was backlash against The Witch, but I guess I’m not surprised. In my estimation, mainstream audiences have horrible taste in horror movies. They usually just want your standard jump scare stuff every 5 minutes and don’t enjoy slowly building, atmospheric horror all that much. Sure you’ll get some crossover from time to time, but for the most part any horror movie that general audiences like I’m likely to be disappointed in. Not always the case as I agreed with the general audience consensus on some like Hereditary. Although I do wonder if I think it’s awful for the same reason the rest of the audience did. I loved the slow build and non-horror elements of that movie and thought once it became full blown horror is was pure trash. It might be the opposite for everyone else :rofl:

Interesting that they phrase it this way;

But the blame in that case was deemed to lie with the distributor’s wide rollout policy, which meant the film became a multiplex fixture, rather than with misleading marketing materials.

I don’t really agree with that. but a better example would probably be ‘Mother’ which was definitely sold as a horror film, rather than a mental/spiritual drama with a lot of horror in it.

EDIT:
The Witch isn’t conventional either though. I would like to see advertising be more honest about the approach that films take to things.

Stan and Ollie won’t be that bad, surely ?

The DC superhero has already beat the lifetime U.S./Canada $229M take and global haul of Justice League and will see a $300M stateside tally sometime after MLK. But given Aquaman ‘s momentum here, and seeing how Warners pushed Batman v. Superman and Suicide Squad past the three-century mark, you better believe they’re going to get this Jason Momoa film past that threshold. Soon enough, he’ll cross $900M WW by end of this weekend.

Marvel-R is a terrible name for a brand. If only there were some already established mature brand for this material, with a snappy name like “Marvel Lax”, or “Marvel Nax”, or something… I’m just spitballing here :thinking:

I didn’t get the impression that Marvel-R is a brand, just that he’s talking about R-rated Marvel movies.

What if it’s Marvel-Arrr and based around Marvel characters as pirates?

Or Marvel-Ahhh and it’s about the Marvel characters as cute puppies.

Marvel needs their next Marvel Zombies level idea. :wink:

I’d rather see Marvel-Ah-Ahhhhh! with the characters re-enacting Flash Gordon.