millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

I have no idea. :thinking:

Coldplay had a few goes. Pop groups haven’t done anything good that’s stuck for two years replay on radio, even cover wise. At least one new rapper tried it with Christmas sampled stuff and you get the odd comedy oddity on YouTube. I think the last time am actual Christmas song was number 1 was two or three years ago with Justin Bieber and Mariah Carey bringing out a new version of All I Want For Christmas. Radio went back to playing the original the following year.

Er, if this is correct, Mariah Carey wrote “All I Want For Christmas Is You” in 1994. It’s her song. :slight_smile:

She did a version with Bieber, but it was 2011, not 2 or 3 years ago:

Not true. She co-wrote it but tries to claim all the credit. It’s revised history to make herself look better.

Jesus I feel liked that was only a few years ago. Djing means the years get messed up in my brain, I just have folders of a few years stuff at a time.

Its co-written. Pretty much all famous pop singers are brought in on the writing process of their songs so they can get a share of royalties.

Okay, I’m showing my age here, but Carey has co-written most of her songs since her first album. She may not be a guitar strumming singer songwriter, but she is a songwriter.

“Change a word, take a third” - Mariah does seem to be more involved than your Spice Girls or Rihannas though.

This is a movie thread so I think I can get away with this. One of Rhianna’s songwriters, Ester Dean, was in the Pitch Perfect movies. Some of the demos of songs that Rhianna eventually recorded are on Youtube. It was fascinating to see how the song started out to how it ended up.

Conversely, some of her songs written by Sia must be sung precisely like the guide vocal as a condition of the agreement.

Hearing her sing that song she deserves all the credit. She made that song amazing.

Yes, they have what is, essentially, a fixed revenue stream. Unlike traditional broadcast tv models, they don’t seem to rely on demographics, Nielsen ratings, and advertisers to fund their programming.

In theory, as long as low-rated programs aren’t costing them subscribers, they could allow them to run either indefinitely, or until the creators decide to end them.

But they still cancel “buzzy” series like Sense8.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Netflix doesn’t have advanced algorithms in place that analyze viewership, to the point where they know what series are bringing in new subscribers, and which expensive ones aren’t pulling in new subscribers.

So they could examine a series like Sense8 and notice that it’s not picking up any viewers who are new subs between season one and two, consider the cost to make it, and decide it isn’t worth keeping it around.

Netflix has an advantage in that it will know exactly who is watching what, when they’re watching it, how fast they’re watching it, and how often they’re watching it.

This also might be why they’re canceling all of the Marvel series wholesale; they have maxed out their potential to increase the subscriber base (revenue stream), and if viewer totals are dropping, then they figure they can safely stop production without losing more subscribers than the cease in production will cause.

Which then sort of becomes Nielsen ratings on steroids, where they can analyze viewing habits down to single viewers. It also puts a lot of popular series like Stranger Things in danger, where they can notice the series has maxed out its potential to increase the subscription base and, even though it might be one of Netflix’s top five shows, it’s production costs don’t make it worth keeping around. The question is, how many subscribers will they lose out of spite for cancelling these shows?

HBO has traditionally worked in a similar way, where they are willing to cancel popular series like Carnivale and Deadwood even though they’re subscriber supported.

Robbie Williams also co-writes all his songs. I’m not saying she doesn’t get involved at all except for a token line, but usually a vocalist who has songs or ideas or wants to write their own songs is paired with a writer by their label.

So say she had a bunch of ideas or even full songs, she would go for song writing sessions in which the established writer edits the songs or creates songs based on the ideas to get them to the standard they need to be. If a songwriter sells a song to the label they are usually annoyed when artists change a line or two in a session bit thems the brakes.

I understand that. All I was re-iterating that that Carey being a songwriter has been part of her schtick since she hit the mainstream. She’s not Prince, who wrote, produced, and played every instrument on his debut album. She debuted on Sony under Tommy Motola, of course she had a team.

The cancelling of Carnivale is almost on the level of Firefly for me. I loved that show so much, and hated that it didn’t get to have a proper ending. (And it could have ended well, if they’d known in advance.)

Which makes you feel for all those people cast in Mortal Engines - it’s not gonna be their meal ticket.

Has anyone actually seen it?

I think if you do a superhero or sci-fi role it’s hard to escape it’s shadow. There are hundreds of smaller time actors who got bit roles in a major franchise and that role is basically how they’re identified going forwards. Many of them seem to turn to voice acting as their face takes people out of other productions.

I guess one aspect to think of there is just that there are hundreds of smaller time actors. Like any industry it’s a pyramid structure and only a few will be leads or famous character actors with long careers at the top.

Is it also partly that fans remember who was the 8th on the cast list in Star Trek and not on Perry Mason or Kojak? We can fairly say that Adam West matches your example and could never escape Batman as an example (so I’m not arguing it isn’t often the case) but can we remember any of the other TV leads in the 60s that never got much past their non-genre shows either? It’s nothing you can actually prove unless you create an alternative timeline where West did a different show but something that crossed my mind.

I’m not sure how much is typecasting and how much is the intense competition for roles?

Is an actor who played a popular scifi role worse off than an actor who didn’t do one, when they’re up for an audition?

West mostly did guest roles on TV after ‘Batman’, he was in (almost) every medical and crime show there was because the audience would say, “Oh look, it’s Adam West!” but not in a way that hurt the episode.

Would he have been cast in those guest spots if he hadn’t been the former caped crusader?