millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

We are but one small step away from realising the potential of the DC Thomson Universe, starring John Cena as Bananaman and Meryl Streep as Ma Broon.

eh… comics have been almost dead for a while… they’re a niche hobby and thus they’ll remain until our generation dies off, and SH comicbooks at least with us… probably… :smile:

I guess they’re still profitable enough, but since the industry’s been so adamant about not changing, that’s gonna change.

I expect they’ll go the way of the Western any day now.

WB is in charge of the DC films, so that’s on them. J.K. Rowling seems to be the driving creative force behind the Fantastic Beasts films, with sole screenwriting credit and a producer credit, so that’s on her.

I do wonder if it was a mistake to tell the story of the World Wizarding War through Newt Scamander. He is superficially the Eleventh Doctor, but he’s sort of odd and introverted, and doesn’t make for a very compelling lead in a fantasy adventure film.

A couple of other thing that I think hurt the Fantastic Beasts films are that, particularly in the first film, there are few connections to the Harry Potter films. Rowling probably should have brought Dumbledore into the first film, along with some other previously seen characters who would have been around in 1927 (Slughorn? Moody?) and some characters named Weasley, Potter, Black, Malfoy, etc. Since there are only a handful of prominent wizard families, you’re going to see familiar names popping up in the past.

Another quibble is the “Wizarding World” branding. It doesn’t exactly catch the viewers’ attention and makes me think they should have gone with “Pottermore Presents” or something.

It sort of makes me think of Star Wars, where everyone is wondering how and if the franchise can move beyond the Skywalkers. Can you do Harry Potter without Harry Potter?

The answer to both is yes.
Please, god, yes.

You grew up in an era where comics where a medium that offered something nothing else could. They’re not making any more of you. Comic readers feel like trainspotters, or model railway enthusiasts or remote control airplane hobbiests. It’s an aging hobby from a bygone era. There’s no evidence the hobby is growing. Marvel saturate pop culture, their characters are the most popular on the planet, and Marvel can’t make 20 comics that can sell more than 50,000 copies a month!

Comics are dying. Indie comics rely entirely on option money, without that they’re barely going to pay the creators a basic salary that would be the equivalent of working in Starbucks.

I always thought it would come in waves, and the last few years are just a repeat of the same cycle. But increasingly I don’t know if there’s a up cycle coming for comics. For one young writers used to grow up wanting to make their own comics to tell the story they want to tell. Now I think they grow up wanting to write a TV show or movie.

The answer to both is no. Not long term. Fantastic Beasts is already losing audience, as is Star Wars. You can clearly see the wheels coming off the wagon, like Lord of the Rings without Frodo. Without Harry the Potterverse is just a shitty old fashioned whimsy wizard movie and without lightsabers Star Wars is just a shitty sci fi universe that doesn’t make any sense. Fans will still go, but less each time.

It’ll be interesting to see if Marvel can work without Tony Stark.

I don’t think being without Tony Stark is Marvel’s biggest risk so much as being unable to top Infinity War and Avengers 4: Thanos Goes Bananas. Those are basically the season finales to over ten years and 22 movies, with literally half of the universe dying and who knows what else. Once people see the big conclusion to what every movie has been building towards there will be a natural inclination to slowly pay more attention to other things instead.

Of course, nabbing the X-Men gives them a good chance at sparking a fresh wave of interest.

I think from watching the Fantastic Beasts films (which are more or less awful—they’d bomb if they were a new property), one thing that stands out to me is that what’s missing isn’t Harry, Ron, and Hermione but Hogwarts itself. It was clear even in the Rowling books that Hogwarts is the beating heart of the franchise, and it starts to stagnate whenever they leave it (aside from the jaunts to Diagon Alley).

But really, all they need to do is a “New Mutants” or “Generation X” style relaunch where they introduce a bunch of new students and teachers, have Hagrid or whoever pop up from time to time, and it’s all probably as revered as ever.

Hogwarts was definitely the attraction, in the same way lightsabers and space dogfights were, but with a New Mutants cast you’d still be looking for the originals. Harry is the archetype, you can’t really create a more interesting lead character.

Harry Potter screwed itself with that dumb end scene with Harry being 40 with a tweed jacket and a kid. All the main actors aren’t doing much right now, they could all star in the further adventures of Harry Potter fighting monsters in their 20’s while learning how to be adults. They skipped all that for a completely unnecessary end scene that I’m sure Jk insisted on because at the time she was done with the series. Someone needed to tell her not to end the franchise like that. Tolkien did the same and then spent years trying to milk an empty cow.

Thinking about it Star Wars almost got it right. The first sequel clearly should have been Luke raising the next generation of Jedi’s in a new school, a professor X doing the right thing but being afraid of his Jean Grey/Legion. Who’s his nephew and who gets seduced. That’s a great first movie but they skipped it and went straight to the third part of the story where he’s now the successful villain and Luke is in hiding. I’m sure JJ thought it was a clever move, but I think people needed that setup movie that would end with Ben Solo becoming his Grandfather.

Back to Venom, it’s now outgrossed Spidey: Homecoming outside of North America, which is pretty funny. In fact by the time it’s done it will likely have outgrossed every Marvel movie but Civil War, Iron Man 3, and the Avengers ones outside of the US. Pretty wild.

From many accounts its marketing in some of these markets was very aggressive, and very creative. Here is one article about it:

How do we think Mortal Engines is going to fare? A super expensive flop? I’ll be surprised if it ends up a big hit.

I vote big hit.

Well I hope that you’re right. I haven’t seen much marketing here. Anecdotal, I know, but a guy from work who goes to the cinema every week (but remains a casual fan, I’d say) saw a trailer and said “the film with the big moveable cities looks strange”. I just don’t see there being many people flocking to see it on opening weekend.

I think Star Wars needs lightsabers but it can do without the Skywalkers. It just needs a cool Jedi, and some interesting story.

I don’t really give a shit about the Potterverse.

That’s pretty much how the old EU (now “Legends”) went, which is a logical extension of the story that began in the OT.

Rowling ended the final Potter novel with the adult Harry and his kids, and the movie reflected that. It’s a logical way for the story to end, though it locks in a lot of things if she wanted to franchise it out. Cursed Child split the Potter fandom in much the same way The Last Jedi did Star Wars fandom. Maybe that’s just a coincidence, or maybe it’s really tough to move beyond the end of your saga in a satisfying way.

I suspect that’s the appeal of franchise prequels, which everyone seems to hate, because most of these epic stories — Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones — have definitive endings. The good guys win and everyone lives happily ever after (though I suspect GoT’s ending won’t necessarily be happy, but it will be definitive). There’s really not a lot of places to go unless you want to refight the same old battles with Darth Vader II, Sauron’s other ring, Voldemort Jr, or more Lannisters and Starks killing each other. You either end up retelling the same story again, or you do something out of left field and alienate your audience (or, in the case of the Star Wars sequel trilogy, you manage to do both).

Even Star Trek, which is open-ended, has been going backwards in its timeline for the last eighteen years. Since Voyager and Nemesis, they’ve done an OT reboot, and two prequel series. Even there, there seems to be a reluctance to go past the Picard era and pass the torch to the next generation.

I can see it tanking. It just looks silly.

You know what? I was confusing it for Alita: Battle Angel.

Mortal Engines looks like a turd. I hope it isn’t, but it looks like one.

Battle Angel will be a big hit.

In my opinion.

Get ready to screencap this @DaveWallace in case I’m wrong again but Mortal Engines will be a decent hit and Battle Angel will do great on video.

It will be a decent hit if something in the $300-$400 million range with 70% of it coming outside of the US is a decent hit. Which, maybe it is, I dunno.