millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

I saw Ralph Breaks the Internet, and it exceeded all of my expectations by 12 parsecs. All of the assumed plot points turned out to not be the case. It was so awesome. If you see it, stay till the very end of the credits. The final post credits sequence is FANTASTIC!

Ralph made $84.5M for the 5-day weekend, Creed 2 did $55.8M: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Green Book is doing fairly disappointingly, considering people thought it would be a big populist hit. It doesn’t look very good to me, but I thought it would do better.

Judge Dredd Owner Rebellion Sets Up $100 Million U.K. Film and TV Studio

New site will house “2000 AD” and third-party film and TV projects

Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper are shooting into action near Oxford, England.

Video-game company Rebellion, which is moving into film and TV, has bought a large former print works that will be converted into studio space for its highly anticipated Judge Dredd TV series, “Judge Dredd: Mega-City One,” and its Rogue Trooper film, directed by Duncan Jones (“Source Code”). Both projects feature characters from the legendary British comic book series “2000 AD,” which Rebellion bought, appropriately enough, in 2000.

As well as servicing Rebellion’s burgeoning slate of film and TV projects, the studio will also be made available to third parties in a boost for the entertainment industry in Britain, where demand for space is outstripping supply.

The site in Didcot, about 50 miles west of London, was previously a printing press for the Daily Mail newspaper.

–SNIP–

Jason Kingsley, who founded Rebellion with his brother Chris, said the site would be used as a location as well as a studio. He said the site and stages are valued at $100 million. The company expects to create up to 500 new jobs as the new studio gets up and running.

–SNIP–

Jason Kingsley told Variety that the barriers between different types of screen-based entertainment and storytelling are falling away. “I think we are pretty good at creating content in all different types, screen content and interactive games and all sorts of stuff, and I’m hoping we’re going to be equally good at making TV and film,” he said.

–SNIP–

“We’ve got a huge library of good stories, and we’ll do original stuff as well,” Kingsley said. “We make computer games. VFX is an area we are looking at as well. There is a whole bunch of interesting stuff, but you do need the craft skills and you need facilities…and it is hard to find them. We were looking and couldn’t find anywhere to shoot the stuff we have ambitions to do.”

Chris Kingsley noted that the growth in the demand for content from the likes of Netflix and Amazon is an opportunity, but has also presented a challenge in terms of space and facilities. “We’re seeing more big players wanting to get in on the action,” he said. “This is very exciting for the domestic and global film industries, but it’s also meant that our infrastructure is under increasing pressure.”

–SNIP–

“We have plans, we have a lot of scripts in development, we have got a lot of scripts written, we have pilots that are looking for people to work with, we have people going out to the U.S. to talk to the people who are the routes to market,” Jason Kingsley said.

My dreams of a Max Normal meta-arc are less crazy now.

That is all very promising. Fingers crossed that 2000 AD adaptation become a big thing.

When you step back and look at it this is a really wild time in entertainment. You couldn’t have imagined 20 years ago that essentially the entire range of comics we used to buy and read (because they were different from the TV and movies we normally got) would become the norm.

Maybe comics are dying because we don’t need them anymore for the alternative types of stories we’re craving.

Maybe comics are $4-$5 each plus tax and a trip to the comics shop; while a dozen hours a week are available on the tube. One requires effort to get up and shop then take home and read. The other is passive. It leads towards entropy, it does!

Why do you need to go to a shop? Comics have been available digitally for years now. IIIRC, @garjones reads his books digitally as he doesn’t have a proper store to buy them.

I do agree that price point is a huge drawback for the medium but in many cases, TPBs and collections, especially if purchased at Amazon or on sale, can mitigate the cost. There are regular sales on digital comics and digital collections have some rock bottom prices on good products.

If Venom beats a Harry Potter movie everyone working at WB needs to be fucking fired.

The first Fantastic Beasts only made US$814mn. Venom could easily beat that too.

That’s kind of my point. Harry Potter is strong enough that it could and should do around a billion every movie, even if it’s a prequel. The idea that it has returns this diminishing is embarrassing.

Venom will beat a Harry Potter movie and a Justice League movie, and stands a chance of beating BvS. WB needs to get their shit together.

Only one of the ten movies in the franchise has ever broken a billion.

That’s an interesting suggestion. I don’t agree with the premise - I don’t think comics are dying, that’s something that has been said for ages, and they’re still around and doing well enough.

But yes, it does feel like movies and TV have been catching up where the kind of content that used to be the domain of comic books is concerned.

Personally speaking though, the act of reading a comic book is so unique that I will always do it. It can’t be replaced by anything else.

This. I don’t read comics just for the stories, I read them because I enjoy the medium. Movies and TV will never replace comics in that way for me.

Those are just movies that are around to be beaten though. Venom is a fluke, a success nobody could have - and nobody has - predicted. I think everybody was ready for it to go down the crapper.

Those other movies should be judged on its own merits. Financially, Fantastic Beasts 2 may be alright if it has legs, but somebody should indeed be asking very hard questions about the American market there. Of course, it isn’t a Harry Potter movie, and that may be the true problem - these stories aren’t catching the public’s attention and imagination in the way that those did. Maybe that’s just how it is.

I always believed in Venom

Fair point, I should have said “nobody in their right mind”.

Hmmm

Damn you and your facts!