millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

MoviePass is its own horror movie in that it won’t die.

It will outlive us all

@Jim, @garjones and @DaveWallace

The New York Attorney General’s office has launched a probe of Helios & Matheson, examining whether MoviePass’ parent company misled investors, according to CNBC.

Investigators are looking into the company’s financial disclosure using the Martin Act, an anti-fraud state law that allows law enforcement agencies to investigate suspected securities fraud and bring civil or criminal charges.

Todd, I don’t care any more to be tagged on every Moviepass story. :smile:

It was a dumb idea when you don’t own the product or the buildings, a subscription model only makes sense if you run a cinema chain, it is meeting its inevitable fate.

Halloween made $33M opening day, which is more than any of the other Halloweens made in their entire opening weekends. By tomorrow, it’ll be the highest-grossing Halloween movie.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?view=main&id=halloween.htm&sort=opengross&order=DESC&p=.htm

@Jim, they’re sending it off on an ice flow to die! :smile:

Imax, Sony Pictures Sign Global Film Slate Deal

More Marvel superheroes are headed to Imax screens.

After Tom Hardy’s Venom, based on a character from the comic book world of Spider-Man , performed well on Imax screens, the giant screen pioneer and Sony Pictures Entertainment have signed their first long-term, multi-picture deal.

–SNIP–

More recently, the record-breaking first weekend release of Venom reached $15.4 million on Imax screens and overall, became the biggest October global opening weekend at $207 million. That box-office performance convinced Imax to move from releasing Sony tentpoles one by one to solidifying ties with a global slate deal.

"What we realize with one-offs is you work on one thing, and move on. Because we have other slates deals with Warner Bros, Disney, Fox, Paramount, it made sense to solidify the relationship with Sony," Foster explained. Imax’s creative czar oversees Imax’s commercial slate and forging relationships with studios.

The global slate deal also means Sony can look forward to cinema-goers viewing versions of its films more often on Imax screens as the studio takes advantage of the exhibitor’s giant screen DNA.

IMAX is what 3D was meant to be; a way to charge more for cinema tickets that the public actually feel is good value for their money,

But completely unavailable to the vast majority of consumers. There’s no IMAX screens anywhere in Ireland. There’s only five in all of the UK.

Because the industry backed the wrong horse.

Digital projectors, 4K and 3D were supposed to be what mattered. They spent a LOT of money on them. Now they have a chance to support sometimes that actually sells tickets.

Digital projectors, 4K and 3D were supposed to be what mattered. They spent a LOT of money on them. Now they have a chance to support sometimes that actually sells tickets.

Sure, but the money needed to upgrade a cinema to IMAX must be magnitudes bigger. And some cinemas here are moving away from bigger screens altogether, dividing their big screening rooms up into multiple smaller rooms.

IMAX needs a bigger venue, so it’s bricks and mortar costs (well, concrete probably). They did try a dumbed down version of IMAX, which was a bigger screen but the not the real thing.

IMAX is something else.

If they want the money, they’ll build the screens.

Yup and that’s the issue with expanding IMAX. The 3D switch was easy as it’s just a projector change and in many cases the studios subsidised the new equipment. It also coincided with the transfer to digital so was being swapped out anyway.

In many buildings it won’t be feasible because of the dimensions, even if you knocked two screen together in a multiplex if the halls don’t have the height it won’t work. We have one near me but it was a new build in a new mall and designed specifically to host an IMAX screen.

I’d guess many cinemas also don’t have the space for an IMAX theater - they’re usually massive. So it could be a physical limitation for many current venues.

That’s a real issue, and one that needs solving on a case by case basis.

Modern multiplexes are customs built, far less often adapted from previous use (the cliche in the UK is an ex-bingo hall, previously it had been ex-music hall theatres).

The cinema in my home town used to have over 1000 seats in a single auditorium. Then it was subdivided into one big screen and two smaller ones, so adaptation is possible.

Cinema’s are struggling so I think we’ll see more IMAX as an strategy to encourage attendance to stabilise (and maybe even increase!) but yes, it’ll cost more for some ‘plexes’ than others,

I would think it very likely that every cinema has done the math on adding IMAX and it doesn’t work for most locations. Worldwide though IMAX screens are growing rapidly, so it’s a good move for Sony. Who’da thunk a Venom movie would instill this much confidence?

It can work for some and they’ll try and install, and by the numbers quite a few are doing so, but in many cases it won’t be possible. When they subdivided larger halls into 3 screens (my friend Alex did it in his cinema in the late 80s) there was more leeway with the dimensions. The irony being it would be much easier to have installed IMAX in the original theatre shape.

The main issue is the height needed. Expanding sideways isn’t too difficult but you need the corresponding increase upwards.

Not so, the chains are refitting and have put Imax screens in the UK. Odeon lists 15, Cineworld has 19, Vue have 3.

The cimema in Enfield Steve, Carlos and I have been to previously now has an Imax screen, for example.

I was going by this list, but it might leave some out: