millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

The Mouse is merciful. Just don’t anger the mouse. And remember November and December belong to the mouse. Also 4 weeks after every Pixar, Marvel and Disney live action release.

The Disney 2019 schedule looks the Golden State Warriors. No one stands a chance.

What are those? Some sort of West Coast Avengers splinter group?

There’s more to film than just four quadrant, family friendly, action adventure.

Disney isn’t interested in those areas though. No horror franchises for them.

That’s more accurate than you could ever imagine!

I’ve been thinking about this;

Even with a “C” Cinemascore grade and (accurately) lousy reviews, this is a huge win and more proof that franchises like this are critic-proof so long as even the bad reviews reassure viewers that they’ll get what they want from a given entry.

What do they want? Wan is a significantly better horror director than anyone he’s hired to make these films but that doesn’t put the audience off.

Expanding on earlier comments by WarnerMedia chief John Stankey, Stephenson, the kickoff speaker at the Goldman Sachs Communacopia conference, said, “You’d like to fill out the schedule” on HBO. “But we’re not talking about Netflix-scale investments.” That extra budget — which he did not assign a number to — will be achieved through cost savings. “There are a lot of overhead costs, procurement costs, finance. Not inconsequential synergies.”

HBO chief Richard Plepler “is, I believe, a master” at programming effectively, Stephenson added. “He is very bullish that with a modest level of spending,” the competitive position of the premium network can be fortified.

Yep. And as far as I’m concerned, I’d be game for a third one, too.

The Predator opened to $24M. Even without adjusting for inflation, that’s below what Predators did eight years ago, and The Predator had over double the budget (and given the lengthy reshoots of the third act, the budget estimate is probably low).

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

‘The Nun’ opened to $53m. It’s dropping like a stone, but that means it made only $6m less that ‘The Predator’ this weekend.

If it had got better word of mouth it might well have beaten Shane Black’s movie.

And it cost 1/4 of what ‘The Predator’ (possibly) cost.

Sounds like it’s time to let that franchise rest in peace.

It’d make for a fun TV series. The kind of thing Disney streaming would use as a big promotional series. Particularly if they can recruit Arnie for a cameo.

I don’t know. A Predator series can’t do without a decent budget, and how many pure action series of this kind have been making money recently?

I doubt this is where Disney would want to put their money first when it comes to building their streaming library, anyway.

It’s not going to cost more than most other scifi shows. Or even a big budget drama with a star cast (which this probably wouldn’t have).

The thing about a TV version is; who are the humans? The Predator has no dialogue. They’re highly intelligent, but the moment they speak english for real (not just mimic someone) they’ll become less alien.

So who are the human cast and how do you get a series out of them? The secret agent and special forces guys tracking the Predators seem the obvious choice.

But we still don’t know what Disney/Fox will be doing after the deal is complete? Will Fox be a convenient place for Disney to make all the things Disney doesn’t make?

They wanted him for this but he turned them down:

McKenna, his son, Rory and Casey Bracket have all just survived the final attack of the Super Predator (referred to as “The Upgrade” in the script) when a helicopter lands. Out climbs…Dutch Schaeffer (Arnold Schwarzenegger), his “face haunted; etched by pain.” Dutch tells the trio to come with him, and when Rory asks, “Uh … me, too?”, the franchise’s second-most iconic badass smiles and says “Especially you.”

I don’t know. A Predator show, if it’s supposed to be any good, has to be about the Predator in action. If that’s supposed to be good, it’d be expensive. And we’ve just seen that people aren’t exactly queuing for a Predator movie anyway.

It’s not something that’d seem very likely to succeed, really.

I read he turned it down as it conflicted with a Terminator shoot.

Seems unlikely, as The Predator filmed in the first half of 2017, and did reshoots in March, while the new Terminator didn’t start filming until June.

I don’t know, the title Disney’s Predator raises all sorts of questions…