millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

Oh pooh!

Xi Jinping is one ginormous snowflake.

This is where the Pooh thing started in China. It is surprisingly accurate:

This one always makes me laugh.

That hasn’t harmed Mamma Mia, Mission Impossible and Incredibles 2 though.

Mamma Mia and Mission Impossible are a little more adult-oriented I think. With more kid-oriented movies (and although I haven’t seen it yet, Ant-Man seems to skew pretty young even for a Marvel film) I think wet summer holidays are the cinema’s friend!

Incredibles has done really well though, yes, and the success of that is maybe part of why Ant-Man isn’t doing so well (plus the Teen Titans movie came out on the exact same weekend).

So I think there’s a number of factors at play. I do wonder whether Ant-Man would have done a bit better in general if it had been released later in the year, worldwide. That autumn slot has done well for Marvel in the past.

Sunny weather in the UK empties cinemas, every cinema manager will say the same, my friend sees hot temps and blue skies and he starts messaging he’s sending staff home. The summer takings at the box office have been pretty poor overall (although the World Cup is a complicating factor).

It has recovered over the past 3 weeks or so though with the films Rob mentions and I think that may be the shock element of Brits getting more used to it after a prolonged period. Less of the panic to head down to the beach/park at the slightest sign of nice weather when you’ve already had a month or more of it. It’s into slightly ‘new territory’. :smile:

There is definitely an element in the UK now of “for the love of god get somewhere dark and cool”. Cinema is good option after weeks of being cooked to death.

That usually IS the UK.

God bless air conditioned cinemas! On the subject of Ant Man and The Wasp though, it’s the first Marvel movie I’m not going to the cinema to see. I liked the first one well enough but I’m quite happy to wait for home release.

@Jim, @garjones and if he has been a good boy, @DaveWallace:

The story follows a man who loses ten minutes of his memory due to being hit by a stray bullet during a bank heist gone wrong. He must put the pieces of his broken memory together in order to find out who sabotaged the job and took the money, all while being pursued by a powerful crime boss hellbent on recovering the cash. Willis plays the pissed off crime boss.

The film already has a 97% Audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes and is the best-attended film in history.

Can’t tell if that’s for Moviepass or for Bruce Willis’ career.

Yes.

I keep thinking Willis can recover his career, but he looks broken inside. I don’t think he’ll ever recover. Like Gibson and Arnie, he feels like a guy who we’ll never get another good movie from.

Glass might be really good.

Glass might be a huge let down too. Unbreakable worked because we suddenly realized we were in a comic movie right at the end. The thrill of the movie was a man finding his purpose and destiny. The best scenes were always just David and his family. Now all the origins have been done, and it can’t have as good a twist ending. I just don’t see how it’ll work. Be nice to be proved wrong though. The trailer just doesn’t convince me.

Man, I just checked and I haven’t liked a Bruce Willis film since maybe Looper, and haven’t really liked a performance by him since Moonrise Kingdom, both in 2012.

Before that you have to go back to 2006.

Over The Hedge?

I thought he was good in 16 Blocks.