millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

I only like cinemas that are almost empty…I don’t want some fat guy next to me spilling his nacho sauce on my shirt.

Yeah, that’s what I mean. They could potentially get around it by either working with a separate distributor or by handling the distribution and exhibition, but only screening content from outside producers (a deal with some of the smaller production companies like A24, Blumhouse, and even Universal or Sony) shouldn’t violate the conditions.

I believe we’re at the cusp of a paradigm shift/disruption of how motion picture arts (film and television) operate.

It’s all technology driven.

On the industry end, special effects technology has pretty much peaked. We’re at a stage where CGI can depict absolutely anything. The only real advances are down to refinement. And it can be done cheaply now, too. A television project like Game of Thrones would have been inconceivable two decades ago, but its effects and production values rival those of films from that period. And, as ticket prices have increased, I think audiences are expecting more bang for their buck and they’re more interested in big screen spectacle than drama. People bemoan the dominance of superhero fare at the box office, but we’re finally at a time when all of the crazy stuff from the comic pages can be brought to life. There are decades worth of material to mine.

On the consumer end, everyone now has a large screen television in their living rooms. Most households now have a 42"+ plus widescreen 1080p tv with vibrant colors and crystal clarity. The days of watching snowy cable or blurry VHS on those boxy 19" CRTs are history.

On the distribution end, you still have DVDs and blu-rays, HD cable and satellite, and now streaming services like Prime, Hulu, and Netflix. Again, digital provides perfect, crystal clear images.

It’s not really surprising that, now, if you’re going to make a pilgrimage to the theater, you’re probably going to want to see something big and loud and beautiful on that giant screen. If you want to watch dramas, stay home and Netflix ‘n’ chill.

I also think we’re at a point in time where standard drama is best served on television. The art of tv has progressed to the point where something like Breaking Bad has cinematography and production values that rival those of cinema, tv censorship is no longer a concern, and longer running times are allowed that allow for more character development. Try cramming Walter White’s odyssey into a two hour movie.

Save the theaters for superheroes, sci-fi, fantasy, Pixar, and the event films.

And, that’s an interesting idea about theatrical showings of tv series. I could easily see cult faves like Game of Thrones or Doctor Who or Breaking Bad_ being premiered in the theaters the same night they premiere on tv. Pay $50 for a season pass with reserved seats, make a night out of it with popcorn, pizza, and drinks with a roomful of other hardcore fans.

This is Disney’s goal. And going by the box office numbers that’s already what the public wants.

You could even through in some exclusive bonus like a behind the scenes short, a special interview with creators/stars or some sort of bonus footage/prologue. It would be made available later but there would be a short window (a week or two) before it is made available on the show’s regular platform.

Or even some swag. An exclusive Funko Pop, t-shirt, action figure, or other trinket.

I don’t doubt it. I think it’s more of a case of Disney seeing the writing on the wall before everyone else and attempting to capitalize on it, than creating the trend.

AMC had offered a special Fan Appreciation Screening Event of Avengers: Infinity War on the Thursday it opened. It was an hour earlier than the first showings (6:00 instead of 7:00), showed a special Marvel Studios 10 anniversary short and you got a special coin.

I think showing it an hour or so before the show premieres/drops might also be a nice perk.

In part. I think the success of Marvel and buying Star Wars & Pixar allowed them to become this. Now they have enough billion dollar franchises to release one movie a month and secure box office domination. Other studios would need to release 20+ movies just get get their corner. Disney didn’t see it coming so much as they lucked into Marvel being a huge hit that allows them to sell this kind of event movie 4 times a year. The Fox deal to me was inevitable as they need X Men and FF to feed the Marvel model.

Easily we could have been talking about Warners occupying this space if the DC movies had been better. A huge amount of ground has shifted over the last 3-4 movies between the studios that normal people didn’t notice.

Ant Man and the Wasp is leaving a ton of theaters in the US this weekend. It looks like it will end selling fewer tickets than the first one in North America despite being on a lot more screens.

Still more markets to come but it can’t be what they hoped.

They’ve actually already done that for Doctor Who, a few of the specials have been given cinematic releases. Including adding extras at the start like this:

Digital distribution is the big change. It used to cost thousands of dollars per screen to create and send the film reels but that has now come down to an average of $100 a screen. If you have already budgeted for a TV show then you can’t really lose out financially as long as cinemas want to show it.

Disney’s slate is all big budget films. They’ve opted out of medium or smaller movies. They’ve opted out of the prestige, try to win an Oscar market too.

For years studios have tried to mix their output up, spreading their bets across the budget range and trying to pick up some respectability too. Disney is the first to stop doing it that way.

If anyone has an idea that costs less than $100m to make and lacks universal appeal, take it elsewhere. Disney are not interested.

AMatW was never going to be a giant blockbuster but I think Disney made a huge mistake releasing it in early summer, especially so close to Incredibles 2. It was in a cluster of movies that had a similar audience. It really should have been released in the fall as had been done with other Marvel movies. I think it would have performed better.

That could be it, otherwise I couldn’t explain it. I thought the movie was very enjoyable.

Wife and I enjoyed it, too. It was a fun popcorn flick.

I don’t know, it opened July 4 weekend and had the whole month of July relatively free of new competition and with kids out of school. I think it might have done much worse in the fall.

I didn’t realize it was $100 mil below the first movie. That’ll make Marvel a bit nervous. Probably the last Ant Man movie. You’d think on the back of Infinity War it’d have done much better.

Only internationally, and it’s not out in the UK, Japan or China yet. In the US, it did almost exactly the same.

It is probably the last Ant Man movie but would have been regardless of the box office.