millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

The producers are saying those opinions were faked;

While reasons for the film’s poor showing are up for debate, the most interesting culprit is the one the film’s backers have put forward: sabotage. The Hollywood Reporter has posted that Asura producers are now alleging the film’s opening was victimized by an aggressive “water army” attack, where ghostwriters are hired to flood social media sites with fake negative reviews. They claim they discovered a large number of 1/10 reviews posted via fake accounts on Maoyan, the Tencent-backed mobile ticketing app, and in a social media post, questioned the platform’s integrity and said, “Whoever is behind this is dirty, stupid and ridiculous.”

It looked like A wrinkle in Time to me, too. The sort of fantasy film that doesn’t quite land, collapsing that little bit more with every passing second.

@Jim and @garjones

“The studios have embraced us because we have the data. They are getting that data and they are seeing how to better feed the audience.”

The problem is data is okay but I don’t think it’s going to revolutionise how to market movies. Facebook have loads of data on me and their algorithms mostly give me ads for things I have already bought. I bought a 3 year VPN subscription in February, they can advertise to me 3000 times but I have absolutely no interest in buying a second one, it serves no purpose.

Yesterday they suggested a hotel in Nashville because Jake Boyer stayed there, well Jake and I are friends but we live on the other side of the planet so the chances I would want a room in Nashville are pretty slim.

They know what I like roughly but not what I might be interested in next. Youtube is messed up because my kids use my account all the time. I might take them to a show this year but in two years time they think it is ‘babies stuff’ so assuming I want to watch loads of cartoons of the same type is no longer valid. My son gets ads for Toyota before his cartoon appears, he’s 7, he won’t drive a car for at least another decade.

It’s useful at times but they are paying more for it than most and I can’t see how it pays off.

Are others allowed to read these links too? :slight_smile:

Oh MoviePass, you just can’t admit that you lost. It’s not to say they haven’t brought about some potential real change that could be great for movie goers and theaters. AMC’s A-list thing is a really good deal that probably wouldn’t exist without MoviePass, for example. But MoviePass went in too hot and they burned out. Doesn’t help that they also have terrible customer support, mind you. My sister’s boyfriend tried using his the other day, the card would register, so he bought a ticket and then contacted MoviePass to sort it out after the movie. They were super unhelpful even after he said he wanted to cancel. Finally a manager got involved and sorted it out in 2 minutes. But it took about 15 minutes of the support agent out right refusing to do anything to help him before it got to that.

No.

Yeah, Amazon do the exact same thing:

Yeah exactly and even on the other track of things you may want to buy more than once:

I’m going to take Rory as an example. He likes horror movies a lot judging by his posting here. So if he has Moviepass then they’ll see he goes to horror movies. So they suggest horror movies he’s going to go and see anyway whether they spam him or not.

The data is essentially worthless at that level and if like Jerry he sees more than 9 films a year they are paying $10 for each piece of data after that.

I do not!

Given the reports that MoviePass recently tried to game the audience score for Gotti on RT, the idea that they’re now teasing a competing service is hilarious.

Moviepass sound like they belong in the Trump cabinet.

Get all your free movies in now Jerry!

Spoilers!

I agree that MoviePass has its faults, but it works for me. I rarely see a film on opening weekend, I usually go to the earliest show on a Saturday or Sunday rather than evening or nighttime shows, and I rarely see a film twice in the cinema. So all the complaints about “peak pricing” and eliminating repeat viewings doesn’t really bother me.

Yes, I get annoying e-mail recommendations from them, but I just delete them.

I also find that, because we have the pass, we have been going to the movies more often. Last year we saw four films in the theater; we’ve already seen 9 this year, with five months remaining in the year.

I think we’ve always said it works great for the consumer, I’d sign up if I were in the US. It’s just the business plan for them doesn’t seem to make any sense.

Their business was a huge game of chicken except their car was the only one that could crash.

I think this best sums up MoviePass:

Yeah, I’ve got MoviePass and it’s worked great for me. Usually I see only a handful of movies in theaters each year. In the 11 months I’ve had MoviePass I’ve seen 22. Even if it were to go bust tomorrow it’s been a great value to me. But there’s little doubt they’re on their deathbed right now.

This makes buying gifts for your spouse on Amazon quite difficult by the way.

It’s even more awkward when the gifts are for your mistress.