millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

Bats doesn’t need to be campy or making quips though to exist in a non-campy world of quips. He can be the straight man, but in a cool way rather than the butt of jokes.

Watchmen’s not a funny book, but the funniest moment comes from the least humorous character.

It can be done.

By funny, I don’t think it should neccessarily bring back the late 50s and whole 60s. But it could.
In Justice League International vol1, he appears kinda loosen from his grim, without loosing his cool, which is a huge achievement. And perhaps the most humorous moment comes from him decking Guy Gardner, so it can be done.

Todd McFarlane literally thought Spawn the movie was going to be the next big superhero hit. He didn’t anticipate no one outside of speculators having a clue Spawn even existed. He made a ton of money, though, and I’m sure that’s all he really cares about. The comic book continues, which is itself really remarkable, and there’s another movie coming out. But at the time, Spawn wasn’t backsliding, it was the first attempt to finally replace Superman and Batman at the box office. Arguably, that horror tone was what made way for Blade, and Marvel as a whole. At its heart, Marvel is really an update of classic movie monsters, grafted to the Robin template, so that these are relatable monsters. Even Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark spent his first two, and arguably three movies grappling with the fear he’d become a monster. But every other appearance has been him living the dream.

Silly would be a mistake, but you can still make them fun, and you can give Batman a sense of humour. I think people have some diluted memories of the Burton Batman movies; they were actually full of little quips and funny bits, and Keaton had a great way of doing deadpan humour as Batman and be a little more goofy as Bruce Wayne. He actually was pretty close to Tony Stark, looking back at it.

Think of this Batman with a team. That’d be JLA Batman. Deadpanning all the time, the guy where the others are never sure if he’s being funny or serious with the things he’s saying. It’d be great.

And it wouldn’t even be all that hard. Couldn’t do it with Affleck though, he doesn’t have that kind of charm.

Fox’s release of Deadpool 2 brought in an estimated $53.3 million on Friday, topping It’s $50.4 million opening day to become the largest opening day for an R-rated film ever. Early estimates are anticipating a $133+ million opening for the film, which would make for a record opening for an R-rated film. Deadpool 2 received an “A” CinemaScore from opening day audiences.

Box Office Mojo say Deadpool made $125M for the weekend, down from $132M the first movie (which came out a holiday weekend, so made $152M for the four days): http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

It’s possible the actual numbers will be higher, but it’s not likely to match the original in the US.

It made $175M outside the US though, so it’ll probably top the original overseas.

Infinity War, meanwhile, is within spitting distance of $2 billion. And the peasants rejoiced!

I was right about Infinity War being front-loaded, if wrong about the extent of it.

In its opening weekend in North America, Infinity made $50 million more than Avengers and $55 million more than Black Panther. In its fourth weekend, it made $28.6 million. Avengers made $36.6 million. Black Panther made $40.8 million.

The Deadpool competition doesn’t help it, but things were trending that way before Deadpool opened.

Daaamn, 1.8B… I was genuinly unsure if it’d go that high due to the bummer ending, but I suppose that wasn’t enough to kill repeat-viewings… that’s most certainly an interesting developpement.

Still, 200mil to go with DP2 in and Solo in the horizon isn’t gonna be an easy task…

It’s great that a struggling company like Disney might make some money after all. I know lots of people are concerned about them.

They must be terribly upset that they don’t have the #1 movie this week. Oh well, they’ll have to comfort themselves that they at least bought the property that beat them.

If you can’t beat em, buy em!

They still make a shit ton of revenue from Deadpool in other media and stuff like toys and shirts etc, no?

It’s definitely more front loaded than Black Panther and Avengers, but it’s remains to be seen if it’s anymore front loaded than your average Marvel movie. Black Panther, especially, is something of an outlier. It has almost a 3.5 multiplier when the average Marvel movie has a multiplier of around 2.6 or 2.7 (Avengers was just over 3). My expectation is that Infinity War ends up with a 2.5 to 2.6 multiplier. So not too far off from average. And considering its monster opening, that’s pretty impressive.

Also maybe worth noting that Avengers 4th weekend was Memorial Day weekend, which is why it managed such a small drop from week 3 to week 4. But yes, Infinity War certainly doesn’t have the legs of either of those movies.

I think most fans didn’t want to be spoiled and so rushed to see it. Most other movies don’t have the same spoiler situation. Hell Disney marketed the shit out of there being spoilers.

Of course conspiracy me believes Disney wants more front ended movies as they get a bigger cut of the box office receipts.

As Disney acquires more IP, they’re going to put out more product. Front loading gives them bigger revenue on more movies.

Fans definitely rushed to see it quickly, even on this board there are people that usually take their own sweet time who went opening day or weekend. I then went and told more casual fans to see it as quickly as possible so they don’t get spoiled.

I’m not sure how cynical that was from Disney because we know it follows an element of the source material of the Thanos story but either way in the North American market they do benefit from films being front loaded.

I think it’s also a function of competition for screen space. The days of a film sitting in theaters for months continuing to bring in money (Titanic) are largely gone, so it makes sense to pursue the front-loading strategy - although, admittedly, it’s a largely self-inflicted problem by the studios.

It still happens occasionally; both Jumanji and The Greatest Showman hung around the charts for months.

To be honest I think studios have a very very limited control over whether a film is front loaded or runs for ages. A lot of front loading is natural with a franchise with a built-in fanbase who know what to expect. Pretty much every slow burn film is a new property and the hype builds up via word of mouth from people that enjoyed it.

Essentially screen space too is down to the film, I can tell you absolutely that a cinema won’t ever boot a film that’s still selling seats. As Paul has said The Greatest Showman was still in the UK top 5 after 18 weeks.