millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

Some poor fucker bought these shares in October last year:

It’s an impressive fall. Some people probably made bank shorting that crap out of that stock.

I have a movie pass from Vue cinemas that buys me entry to any movie screening in their theatres for € 18 a month. I love it. Right now they don’t have any good movies playing though. And I am not going to see that Jurassic crap.

More “A” than “the real” reason, but valid points. Five points from Motley Fool for hyperbole.

Yeah, that’s all a bit overblown and ridiculous considering the success of Black Panther, Infinity War, and The Incredibles 2. I suspect Ant-Man & Wasp will do well for Disney too. Solo was a movie people didn’t want and Disney didn’t do enough to sell it. They thought the Star Wars brand would sell it. They were wrong. I suspect they’ll learn from it. But to suggest Disney and its investors should be worried because a Han Solo movie without Harrison Ford will lose them $50 million is silly.

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Star Wars Movie Thread

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?view=main&id=incredibles.htm&p=.htm

I’m really thinking Five-Peat here. I still have little interest in Infinity War (enough with the dead heroes for a while!) but quite interested in AM&W. Love Pfieffer, Douglas, Michael Pena, and warming to Paul Rudd. Lilly remains on Tauriel-induced probation. And Fishburne! Cool. (Still should play the body with Doug Jones doing his voice - bring Balance back!)

Hollywood on the edge of its seat waiting for China deal amid trade row

It won’t be on the front line of the conflict, but negotiations for agreement to import films into world’s biggest box office market may remain stalled

Negotiations between China and Hollywood may remain stalled as trade tensions heat up between Washington and Beijing, with the world’s two largest economies preparing to exchange billions in punitive tariffs on Friday.

Hollywood will not be on the front line of the trade conflict, given that measures China could levy against the liberal-leaning industry would do little to pressure US President Donald Trump, but its dependence on access to Chinese movie-goers still leaves it at risk, analysts say.

Discussions to renegotiate Hollywood’s agreement for importing films into China, on track to become the world’s largest box office market, have been stalled in the midst of the trade spat, with the Trump administration ready to slap US$34 billion in tariffs on Chinese goods at the end of the week.

The original five-year agreement – slated to be renegotiated early last year – allowed the United States to bring 34 films into China per year for distribution on a revenue-sharing basis, up from the original limit of 20, and raised revenue share from 13 per cent to 25 per cent.

Industry players such as Robert Cain, president of co-production company Pacific Bridge Pictures, say the ongoing trade dispute between Beijing and Washington has “thoroughly undermined” the negotiating position for the Motion Picture Association of America, the trade body for Hollywood’s six major film studios, and the US Trade Representative in talks with China.

–SNIP–

“If Trump goes ahead and institutes the first wave of tariffs, the Chinese are certainly quite prepared to strike back,” he said. “But Hollywood is not going to be in the frontline in the early period … [Trump] is extremely unpopular in Hollywood.”

Hollywood and China have seen their relationship shift to a new model, analysts said, with major players such as Joe and Anthony Russo – the brother duo known for directing Captain America – setting up shop in China. The pair have backed production company Anthem & Song, based jointly in Los Angeles and Beijing, to produce Chinese-language films.

–SNIP–

If Beijing does target Hollywood, it would need to carefully weigh the impact on Chinese production companies and filmmakers, as well as the reaction from local audiences, Rosen said. This could mean targeting specific studios that do not have a presence in China to avoid hurting domestic companies, or reducing or not expanding the import quota, he said.

Xin Zhang, a senior film and cinema analyst at IHS Markit, said uncertainty over the negotiations is significant as Hollywood pushes for a greater share of the Chinese market, while Beijing seeks to continue its control over, and encourage, the local industry.

“It’s a big issue for China and Hollywood,” she said. “China is willing to talk on this, and to [have] a negotiation, but nothing is decided yet … we’re unsure how it will go, but it’s already delayed. So everyone is waiting, waiting, waiting.”

Ant-Man and the Wasp opened to $76M. Higher than the first one by $20M, but it didn’t manage to top Doctor Strange’s $85M opening. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Sicario 2 had a pretty steep drop, over 60%.

The question is does Marvel think the Ant Man box office is a success or not.

The question is does Jim think the Antman box office is a success or not.

Never underestimate the power of Cumberbatch fandom.

It does make me wonder whether timing is an issue. They’ve done well with that late (October/November) spot with Strange and Ragnarok - I wonder why they avoided it this year.

I’m kidding about the “does Marvel consider it a success” thing but it is the lowest Marvel Studios opening weekend since Ant-Man in 2015, and the lowest one before that was the first Cap film in 2011.

With the important caveat that $76 million is still a lot of freaking money, and its eventual $600M global take (or thereabouts) is nothing to sneeze at, I still wonder if there are more compelling properties that they could be developing. While it wasn’t terrible, I think many would agree it was also their worst movie in a few years, too.

Ant-Man and the Wasp or Doctor Strange?

It is a tough call.

Well I think Civil War was worse but that’s why I said many and not everyone.

All three are definitely recent lower rungs

Thor: The Dark World is the worst.