millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Box Office Mojo

Reviving the place to discuss movie finance. A somewhat surprisingly contentious subject in the past but go ahead and and discuss how well Transformers is doing and remember ‘it’s just a movie’. :smile:

I’ll repost the Transformers details from the other thread:

International box office seems like where the Transformer movies do best. If those start slumping, then it’s time to worry.

It has kind of split, as the north American interest has waned it has grown overseas (and let’s be honest, that mainly means Asia).

The problem now is that market has somewhat hit a ceiling, for a while at least (a decent part of it was fueled by exchange rates as the US used QE and devalued the dollar), they need the drop in NA to be reflected with even more growth in Asia and I can’t see it. The film will most likely make a tidy profit and Bay will be okay for now but there’s a big risk of diminishing returns.

This will probably also affect the proposed spinoff movies that have been planned. If they are approaching the ceiling, a bunch of spinoffs won’t help matters.

I think we’ll see more a shift in attention on films like this. Something like ‘Transformers’ (and spin offs) can continue to do fine if aims itself at those overseas markets and controls costs in the US.

Not just production but release costs as well. A drop in US Box Office would normally mean they spend more there, in advertising, but if they choose to spend less, and accept the lower revenue, they can shift those promotional dollars to bulld on a more interested audience.

EDIT:
Connected to this, Paramount has a new boss;

Paramount’s Jim Gianopulos on Starting Over, His Fox Exit and Reviving a Struggling Studio

–SNIP–

Film has become a business of haves and have-nots. Some studios have reliable franchises, some don’t. How do you turn this studio into a “have” with what you’ve got?

We have people, money, resources, global distribution and the reach of almost 4 billion people that Viacom touches around the world. If you can’t make that work, something’s not right. There is a great executive team here and a lot of very talented and dedicated people who want to win and who, despite disappointments at the box office, have a great sense of purpose, direction and talent. You harness that and look at areas where it can be improved or augmented or expanded. I don’t make any prejudgments. I’m just getting to know everybody.

But you don’t have many franchises.

Yes and no. There’s Star Trek, Mission: Impossible and Transformers. The last Mission was one of the most successful and critically acclaimed of all the films. And we’re now making the next one, which has every appearance of being even bigger. There are plenty of opportunities to mine the library and to mine the relationship with our ongoing partner Hasbro. There’s a lot of IP here.

How many franchises does a major studio need these days?

As many as you can get! But we’re also seeing fatigue.

–SNIP–

Paramount have a tall order ahead of them. I think Transformers is done after this movie - there’s nothing new left to offer and you can’t rely on the foreign market only. Like Pirates, it feels like the time is done. I think they had their shot with Star Trek too, delivered 3 pretty good movies and found there’s a ceiling with Star Trek that can’t be broken. I don’t see much of a future there. And Tom Cruise is 54 - that’s the age when you just can’t be an action star any more - it’s just not credible, even for Cruise who’s in fantastic shape. I think all their franchises are over, and it’ll be a task to find some new ones.

Whatever Millar properties they own, they need to fast track them.

This would be a welcome outcome.

They should do that anyway.

I assume ‘Jupiter’s Legacy’ is one of them since they share a producer with the ‘Transformers’ films.

Click to enlarge the image:

What is the difference between “favourite movie” and “best movie of all time”? :slight_smile:

‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ is my favourite movie, but I wouldn’t say it’s the best film of all time, I just like it more than any other film.

I think the series rates highly in New Mexico because the first one is one of the first blockbusters to be filmed there after they introduced their tax incentive program.

Yeah, but look what they said was the best film of all time. :neutral_face:

I’m too scared to look!

Warner Bros. Eyes Slimmed-Down Movie Budgets Under Toby Emmerich

Toby Emmerich was announced as president of the Warner Bros. film studio in December, and Hollywood has been watching since with interest, not to say wariness, for signs of how he will run the place. Industry insiders are hoping some light will be shed June 22 when executives gather at the Montage Laguna Beach for an off-site retreat.

Emmerich, 54, has yet to greenlight a movie that truly bears his stamp. But sources say that first project will be The Goldfinch, an ambitious project based on the Donna Tartt novel, with John Crowley (Brooklyn) directing. That should stir some excitement. It may also soothe some who have business with Warners and who have been concerned that Emmerich could reveal plans for what one important producer calls the “New Line-ization” of the studio. That would mean on projects that don’t fit into the Warners silos — Lego animated movies, Harry Potter spinoffs and D.C. Comics films — the studio would look to slash costs and avoid auteur directors who want final cut. There would be exceptions — notably Clint Eastwood and Chris Nolan.

–SNIP–

While the executive with ties to Warners thinks it is an overreaction to predict that Emmerich will preside over the total “New Line-ization” of the studio, he does expect some key elements of New Line culture to be incorporated: Budgets are likely to be slimmed down and final-cut directors may be avoided. He believes the studio can hold on to control of final cut and still hire A-list filmmakers. As for budgets, he says, "Outside the silos, there has been a big waste of money on projects that don’t make sense." Under Emmerich’s leadership, he adds, "they’re not going to make a movie like The Judge with Robert Downey Jr. for $60 million. For $35 million — maybe."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-eyes-slimmed-down-movie-budgets-under-toby-emmerich-1015390

Warner’s reputation has been that they give filmmakers a lot of room to decide things for themselves. That may change.

[quote=“Jim, post:7, topic:10203”]
I think Transformers is done after this movie - there’s nothing new left to offer and you can’t rely on the foreign market only. [/quote]

I’m sort of surprised that Transformers was as successful as it was. The Transformers look like crap. I mean, literal crap - walking junkheaps. They are barely distinguishable from each other, their faces aren’t expressive. The design there is terrible.

The Star Trek reboot films left me unsatisfied. I wanted so much more out of them. Vicious, conniving Klingons. An unstoppable Doomsday Machine. Khan kicking ass all over the place. Instead we got an emo Romulan (whose storyline doesn’t make sense unless you read he prequel comic), a weepy Khan, and Idris Elba wasted with a lot of unnecessary make-up, a dull script, and a callback to the generally dreadful Enterprise tv series. Not to mention all of the unexcusably bad science like beaming between planets, Spock watching Vulcan explode from another solar system, Khan’s magic blood, etc.

If only they could come to terms on a Transformers: Fast and Furious cross-over. It would be the McGregor/Mayweather of cinema.

Set the whole thing in China for for the win:

Rolling out in 41 overseas markets this weekend, Paramount’s Transformers: The Last Knight opened in China today with an estimated $47.9M (RMB 330.76M). That’s 69% above Transformers: Age Of Extinction’s June 27, 2014 bow in local currency. Par puts the opening day for Last Knight at No. 3 for an import ever in the Middle Kingdom (including Thursday’s midnight shows). The debut sets the film on track for a $100M+ weekend launch there.

So, the real fanbase is young women? I mean, Twilight, Grease, Diet Coke, Supernatural - am I stereotyping?