millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Best Movies of 2015 so far!

I’m actually shocked how bad this summer in particular has been. I remember we were worried about Kingsman: The Secret Service being released this year as it looked like a monster, summer holding not only Star Wars but Superman Vs Batman when we were first looking at possible release dates.

But my God what a dreadful year in film. I generally go twice a week, but have barely managed once a week this year. I’m really going to struggle to find a good top ten when we do our end of year review here, which is odd as it’s been a record-breaking year at the box office. What have I loved so far?

Kingsman, of course, but am slightly biased.
Mad Max, just because.
Ex Machina
The Visit
American Sniper, which I liked a LOT more than I expected
Mr Holmes (starting to struggle a bit now)
Ant-Man was likeable, light fun
Touch of Evil, which I saw in the cinema, but maybe doesn’t count as 2015 picture.

Um, that’s all I can manage and I’ve been to the pictures maybe 40 times this year so far. I haven’t seen It Follows or Train-Wreck yet and expect to like both, but otherwise everything else felt really flat for me.

What about you dudes?

PS off to see Irrational Man tonight, which I’m looking forward to.

Birdman, Whiplash and Mad Max are the ones that really stand out for me this year.

There’s a lot of middling stuff - Ant-Man, Age of Ultron, Terminator Genisys - among them, and some real misfires (Jurassic World and Minions). I don’t think it will go down as a vintage year.

Having said that, there’s still so much I haven’t seen - Ex Machina and The Secret Service included.

My health no longer allows me to visit the cinema (too rough on my back and I’ve developed an annoying dry tickle of a cough) - plus the local cinema does not exist for another year.

So I’m restricted to Redbox rentals and On Demand stuff. Delightfully, I can watch any broadcast shows at will, and they are good at posting just after midnight. So, a bit late on everything.

Dredd came out a couple years ago, but was new to me, and I love the performances. Really done well on a low budget, and it’s a shame there was behind-the-scenes conflict. But, c’mon! Karl Urban is Eomer, Dredd and Dr. Bloody McCoy!

Kingsman is next, I just can’t go a $6.99 rental, it will have to drop. However, if it was on sale for say $10.99, I’d buy it.

Ex Machina looks good in the Chappie sense, need to see both, as well as ScarJo’s Lucy. I’m a huge fan of both Sir Ian and Sir Arthur, so Mr. Holmes went right on the “buy” list - when the price is right. (Yes, there were rumours my mother had Scottish blood, but that doesn’t hold a candle to my dad’s 100% Irish, another society not known for free-handed spending habits.) Ant-Man and Fantastic Four are about even on the want-to-see list, expecting this on the next “Comic Book Movies on Sale” promotion. Still haven’t seen Age of Ultron, but probably will enjoy it a lot and wouldn’t mind a two-pack with The Avengers. Still haven’t seen Daredevil, but with the winds and snows of Winter a-comin’ (big time this year, we have what has been called a “Godzilla El Niño”, the last time we had a big one I-25 got shut down and side streets had 20’-30’ drifts in the middle of the unplowed streets. The Visit and American Sniper look interesting. There are maybe half a dozen non-genre movies that also catch my interest. For example, I’ll watch anything with Helen Mirren in it. Straight Outta Compton is historical for me, know the area and was down there a lot during the times in question. Ever had a car break down and a whole group of gang members chip in and fix it? Thank you, Bloods. There are a couple of comedies that might be funny, but I really get turned off by bad relationships fueled by sexual confusion or drunken sexist pigs; so there really is not much out there. I guess I figure if a premise can be totally destroyed and turned into positive insight with a five-minute psychological intervention, all having to sit and endure the foolishness for two hours just feels like someone is torturing me. Not too keen on being tortured, Situations like that make me scream and pray for a local kaiju to eat them! Stat! Before they say something else!

Furious 7.
It’s not Casablanca, but it was nice to see the series return to just cheesy hip hop fueled NOS-supercharged insanity…after 4-6, which I found really boring.

And Ant-Man.
It’s been the first MCU movie not to bore me to tears since Iron Man 1.

I’ve always wished that Casablanca had one decent car chase scene.

:wink:

I think we could have all withstood losing “Knock on Wood” for one of those.

Agreed, bland year for movies. Let’s see if I can do ten:

1. Spongebob Squarepants: Sponge Out of Water- the last 30 minutes I could do without but the first hour is pure genius.

2. Fury Road

3. Kingsman- no bias here, it was just a great movie.

4. Jauja- really artsy, but memorable. It’s on Netflix now and I don’t know how it will translate to TV. I saw it in the big theatre in Lincoln Center and it was amazing.

5. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation- It’s not great all the way through but there are like three action setpieces (the opera, the motorcycles, and the underwater tank) that are really top-notch.

6. Force Majeure

7. Paddington- I think these last two came out elsewhere in 2014 but they came out here this year, they’re both quite good.

8. Straight Outta Compton- Not perfect by any means but I had a grand time

9. Ex Machina

10. Inside Out- I’m not a big Pixar guy and this movie was overrated I think, but had a bunch of little ideas that were quite clever.

You’re right, this year has been weak.
It’s funny because isn’t the highest grossing year still 2013? That was rubbish overall year for films too I thought.

I did like The Visit but it’s not really top ten material. Then again I can’t think of a top 10 right now.
Most movies have been pretty disappointing, or not quite as painful as I expected. Not exactly solid foundations for a top 10, is it?

Kingsman was probably my favorite thing so far. I really liked Straight Outta Compton too. Other than that, nothing really stood out. I still haven’t seen Mad Max: Fury Road yet. I’m hoping to remedy that next week. I’m also looking forward to Star Wars: The Force Awakens later this year.

Strictly 2015, it’s really a list of movies I’ve seen in the theater, minus Jurassic World, which I hated. I haven’t seen Furious 7 yet, but want to. I loved John Wick, but it looks like that came out in 2014.

Mad Max- one of my favorite movies ever
Kingsman- not just kissing ass, it was legitimately great
Dope- Risky Business in Compton
Straight Outta Compton- Also risky business in Compton
Ant Man- Fun and light
Avengers- on the list because I saw it. Immediately forgettable.

It really hasn’t been an exciting year.

My Top 10 so far, in the order I’ve seen them:

Ex Machina
Kingsman
The Duke of Burgundy
It Follows
Clouds of Sils Maria
Fury Road
Girlhood
Inside Out
The Diary of a Teenage Girl
Mistress America

Not a great year, but there’s still a bunch I’m looking forward to.

The three best blockbusters for me have been Fury Road, Jupiter Ascending and Rogue Nation.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E was pretty fun and cool too.

I saw Dope and really liked it but I’m not sure I loved it. I couldn’t believe how much Lisa Bonet’s daughter looked like her. It could be seen as an interesting follow up to Straight Outta Compton.

I’m really looking forward to seeing Mad Max: Fury Road after the glowing reviews everyone gave it while we were in Chicago. I’m kicking myself for skipping it now.

I’m the biggest Spongebob fan in the world. LOVED the first movie and watch the show, but was so embarrassed by this flick as I’d given it a huge build up and really hated it.

What happened? Was it different writers? Was Hillenberg not really involved?

MM

What? You didn’t like the post apocalyptic stuff? The trip inside Spongebob’s brain?

You didn’t like Bubbles?!?!

I think Kingsman has been my favorite movie of the year.

I liked Ant-Man but wasn’t blown away by it.

Avengers: Age of Ultron was just a complete disappointment.

It’s the Kingsman effect! Made everything else at the cinema seem mediocre in comparison until Mad Max.

Genuinely though, Kingsman and Fury Road are now amongst my favourite films ever. So, for that reason alone, its been a pretty good year.

There have been some wonderful animated films: The Tale of the Princess Kaguya, Big Hero 6, Song of the Sea and Inside Out amongst others but they’re the ones I’ve seen at the cinema this year.

There were a lot of things to love about Tomorrowland (had such bright shiny optimism in tone) but it didn’t quite work overall. Frustrating that there were so many films that should have been brilliant but just became missed opportunities. Others I did enjoy:

Slow West
Birdman
Ex Machina
Rogue Nation
Mr Holmes
The Gift
Ant-Man
The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
South Paw

Are you reading this @Mark_Millar? This really needs to be on the side of the box and it’s true.

Crap. How could I forget Song of the Sea. It was phenominal. I think @garjones and family would agree. :wink:

Yeah Song of the Sea was excellent.

Would Look of Silence and Amy both be 2015? Documentaries are often overlooked, but this year, I’ve found them more interesting than the fictional films.

Heard a lot of good things about Straight Out Of Compton as well.