millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Best fight scenes in comics

So I’m basically mining for ideas and inspiration here.

What would your top 5 fight scenes in comics be?

For me in no particular order

Invincible : almost everything but most likely the invincible vs conquest issues
Next wave: double page splash issue 11

Moon Knight : Declan shelvy / Warren Ellis. #5 Cutaway / the raid type fight

Punisher : Welcome back Frank vs the Russian. The best thing in the Thomas Jane movie as well!

Wolverine 100: feral wolvy vs Dark Riders. Made a powerpoint type slideshow movie out of this for a Uni project back in 99. It’s burned into my memory.

Anyone else with top recommendations?

4 Likes

FF 352. Simonson. Reed vs Doom.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Read some recent Warren Ellis stuff. He knows how to choreograph an action scene in a well-thought-through and dynamic way while also letting the art do the work and not letting words get in the way too much.

Grant Morrison is also good at this (his Batman run had some good examples of really tightly choreographed action) but Ellis is consistently great at the moment.

2 Likes

Okay, let’s see. I can think of a lot of great set pieces that involve fighting, but not many knockout fights. Set piece sequences are the things that really get me excited about comics though (there’s a reason that I prefer Miller to Moore), and Ellis and Shalvey nailed them in a few of those Moon Knight issues.

I realise that I’m not helping you out here, so I’ll just stop until I can think of something.

1 Like

My all time favorite. Wolverine vs archangel uncanny 272

Wolverine vs Archangel Uncanny X-Men 272 | X-tinction Agenda Jim Lee & Scott Williams

3 Likes

Storm vs Pyro. This fight made a very strong impression on me when I was younger and solidified my “capes are fucking cool” position. Storm, G-Force, and Batman make me ignore Edna Mode’s “No Capes” policy.

3 Likes

Kieron Gillen has said he finds action scenes quite difficult to write so tries to learn from Warren Ellis who he regards as the best in the business now at writing them. I hadn’t really considered that too much before as I think of him as the cerebral science guy writer but I looked again from that perspective and he is really good.

Hank mentions Claremont who I think had a different strength, not in the coreography but in finding innovative ways to use powers instead of characters just duking it out in fist fights.

4 Likes

Appleseed volume 4. Deunan vs the Mercenaries

(and this is only the back half of the fight. I couldn’t find scans of the gunfight that predates this as Deunan takes on a team of combat cyborgs and shoots up a mech as they try to escape)

2 Likes

I always quite liked the Deathstroke fight from Identity Crisis, but it’s definitely more of a clever/writing-oriented fight than a visceral, thrilling one.

5 Likes

Seconded.

To me it’s Judge Dredd from Judge Child Quest.

I would add the fight between Batman and Marauder from LoTDK series #26, but I am afraid it’s too long to post.

5 Likes

That was fantastic. Beautiful art and Rags Morales is criminally underused.

2 Likes

That’s not even the best Judge Dredd fight. :wink:

8 Likes

Ah, but the thread doesn’t say “the best punch” :wink:

1 Like

Here’s the whole fight if you need it. The punch is what matters though.

8 Likes

That’s better.

But this Ronnie’s post inevitably brings me to JLI vol1

6 Likes

does this count?

3 Likes

What a time to post!

5 Likes

This scene lately has made me consider that maybe Guy wasn’t the biggest jerk in the JLI after all. At least his jerkiness could be explained by brain damage.

1 Like