millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice discussion - SPOILERS

The film finally hits cinemas in a few days, and after the recent advance screenings spoilers are starting to get out into the wild, so I thought it would be good to have a place to discuss the movie so that none of those spoilery details find their way into any of the other threads.

Have at it!

Thread of Justice: Batman V Superman discussion

Currently standing at 36% on RT: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/

Although as Steve said in the other thread, I think word of mouth will end up more important to how well the movie does.

Anyone seen it yet?

Thread of Justice: Batman V Superman discussion

Finally convinced kids to go so tickets booked for Friday morning 10am. Your right word of mouth will be important on this especially if reviews are not stelIar. I take on the opinion of others but I always go into a movie with an open mind.

My wife asked me if I wanted to go and I told her no. She was a bit surprised because I go see all the Marvel movies. I have a feeling she and her sister may go see it.

At this point, I’m convinced reviewers are going in to crap on it and see who can crap on it with the most over the top language.

It’s almost like they haven’t paid attention to any DC animated movie over the last 20 years. Then again, they probably haven’t.

I’m seeing it tomorrow evening. I’m more than willing to eat crow if I don’t like it, but I have a feeling my issues won’t be their issues.

Go on Todd, pretty please!? Your Episode 7 review was the only one on the board more negative than mine. I might need back-up on this one too.

Well then, if we’re going to be unfiltered…I might as well see this movie ASAP too.

So, for people who’ve watched it, what’s this scene about someone drinking Lex’s urine that I’ve seen hinted at?

I have seen it. I personally didnt like it. I thought the plot was a mess and the tone was way too dark. Just my opinion.

Saw BvSDoJ last night.

I did like this movie, but I had already liked Mos, so no problem.

It maintains the same type of storytelling, but it’s better than MoS. There is no comparison in the way Marvel and DC are doing their movies: Marvel goes for a more fun+popcorn approach, while DC is going to a more in your face “real world” and its consequences type of movies. (Maybe DC is overanalyzing the super-hero genre, while Marvel is oversimplifying it - DC is more for your adult part, while Marvel is more for the child in us)

Some random opinions:

Being a sequel to MoS, it is no longer a Superman movie, but is almost equal parts a Batman and a Superman movie (duh!)
Usually people complain about Affleck, but I think they may rest their fears. He’s really good as Batman. For me the best incarnation on screen. Not too over-the-top, and not too infallible, maybe the more realistic approach in terms of knowing his own limitations. (Naturally there are a lot of cool tech that they show in the movie, that wouldn’t be easy to come by in real life).
People have been talking about Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman, as the best part of the movie. She’s good as WW, but for me she continues to not look as WW, and that is the only bad thing to say about her (I’m still stuck on Lynda Carter looks).
Lois Lane is quite good, and Cavill keeps his tone from the previous movie.

This thread for reviews please. Cheers.

I saw it yesturday with a couple of friends (who all prefer Marvel) and pretty much everyone came out agreeing it was awesome, and some even claiming it to be the best CBM yet.

I think the bad reviews are comeing from both people who where expecting something more Marvel-like and people who couldn’t quite get past their preconceptions of what Batman and Superman mean. These are their own thing, you can’t apply what or saw in The Dark Knight, The Animated Series or the Comics to this Batman. Same with Superman. They’re their own thing, and I think it’s pretty great. Probably gonna watch it again when the theaters get less impossibly filled.

This interview is fairly spoilery and talks about what I’m sure will be one point of controversy with the movie. I think it’s good to get the view of the director.

I saw it today, and didn’t like it.

Not really a surprise, as I had the same problems I had with MoS, only amplified by 100.

So, some comments, with lots of SPOILERS:

• The plot is quite awful, and the movie’ structure is a mess. There is a decent movie somewhere, but it is lost among scenes that go nowhere, subplotes, teasers for other movies, dream sequences, imaginary chats, etc.
  • Jeremy Irons as Alfred was really fun, and he inserted some life in the movie. His dynamic with Bruce was good.
  • Same for Wonder Woman, when she appeared she changed the movie dynamic quite a bit. Although her personal mini musical theme whenever something WW related was shown was getting a little annoying/ridiculous by the movie’s end.
  • Lex Luthor was horrible. His plan, his character, everything.
  • Doomsday… no comments.
  • Affleck is good as Batman, but he doesn’t really have a lot of material to do. He is “Bruce Wayne” for one scene basically, and in the rest he is Sad Angry Batman.
  • And yes, he killed quite a few people in this, but as Snyder puts it, “indirectly, not murder but manslaughter”
  • Superman… nothing. Cavill doesn’t have much to do, and he looks quite… subdued? most of the time.
  • Perry White is the worst newspaper editor ever. Journalist too.
  • Batman receiving prophetic dreams because… well, another movie will explain it, I guess. The time travel bit inside a dream was weird.
  • Most of the time Lois doesn’t have anything to do. At all. The kryptonite spear thing was absurd.
  • No more Ghost Dads please.
  • At one point (I am going to exagerate a little), the movie actually stops so Wonder Woman can open an email and watch teasers for The Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg movies.
  • The ending goes on and on and on.
  • We also get an scene of Luthor getting his head shaven in prison: #SECRETORIGIN! Seriously?
  • Another little exageration, but really: in the latest Civil War trailer Cap & Iron Man speak with each other more than the total conversation between Batman and Superman in the movie.
  • There were some funny lines.
  • The score tries to keep reminding us that this is EPIC all the time.
  • Everyone can basically teleport to the location the plot needs them too.

To summarise it a little, it is a flawed movie? Hell yes. Is it a good movie? For me, it wasn’t.

It throws a lot at you without going deeply into anything. It tries to sound deep, but the themes it attempts to tackle are only barely scratched (I said something similar about MoS, about trying to be deep and ending up as really shallow).

Edit: To add something, it has a tendency to SCREAM at you and point at something that should be the subtext of the scene/movie.

Edit 2: The White Portuguese…

Can you expand on this? Surely this will create quite a lot of controversy. (I don’t plan on seeing it myself, especially after your review.)

Nothing as direct as the things in Burton’s Batman, but he knocks a grenade from a henchman’s hand, he goes boom, or during a car chase he lands the batmobile on top of one of their cars, etc. There is one scene that is kind of an adaptation of one from Miller’s DKR IRRC, with someone holding a hostage saying that they will kill and Batman replying that “I believe you”. In the comic I think it was more direct, in the movie he shoots the back of the firethrower (don’t ask) and he also goes Kaboom.

Edit: Ah yes, here it is what I was refering to:

I tried to do it by proxy. Shoot the car they’re in, the car blows up or the grenade would go off in the guy’s hand, or when he shoots the tank and the guy pretty much lights the tank [himself]. I perceive it as him not killing directly, but if the bad guy’s are associated with a thing that happens to blow up, he would say that that’s not really my problem.

A little more like manslaughter than murder, although I would say that in the Frank Miller comic book that I reference, he kills all the time. There’s a scene from the graphic novel where he busts through a wall, takes the guy’s machine gun…I took that little vignette from a scene in The Dark Knight Returns, and at the end of that, he shoots the guy right between the eyes with the machine gun. One shot. Of course, I went to the gas tank, and all of the guys I work with were like, ‘You’ve gotta shoot him in the head’ because they’re all comic book dorks, and I was like, ‘I’m not gonna be the guy that does that!’

Any post-credits scenes?

Nothing at all. No midcredits or postcredits stuff. The ending has all the stuff that could have gone there.

I recommend always checking http://www.mediastinger.com/ to see if there is something to stay or not during the credits.

Just got back. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s a dense narrative and packs in a lot, but I enjoyed every moment. It’s not a Marvel movie, right down to no mid credit or post credit scene.

Not going to go into a lot of detail because I’m still masticating, but at this point it’s something I want to own so I can watch it until I don’t want to.

I loved it like I loved Man of Steel. But I’d understand if 75%+ of viewers really hated it.

This was entirely the wrong thing to do with DC properties. Watching Batman fight Superman is horrible to actually watch, like seeing brothers try to kill each other. Eisenberg is horribly horribly miscast and should be banished from movies forever. Forcing in all the future characters was the most clumsy shit I’ve ever seen. The storyline is pretty silly. Killing Superman is maybe the dumbest move in comic movie history. It was dark, loud, and messy.

But I loved it because it felt like Supreme Power. As someone who’s not a big DC fan, this felt like Gods fighting on screen whereas Marvel feels like petty little men. The action, the scope, the complexity of the character motivations all outclass anything Marvel have done. This was the story of an alien God and the planet responding. It was a true sequel to Man of Steel, taken to it’s natural conclusion. I kinda wish they’d left out Batman and Wonder Woman, but I understand why they were forced in.

However, I think the majority of people won’t like it at all, it won’t make a billion and Warners are going to hit the drawing board come Monday morning.