millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Are there any Flash Gordon (1980) fans out there?

It may be silly, but I’ve always loved it. I bet I’ve seen it more than any other movie. I finally got these action figures. I’ve been wanting these since I saw the movie as a kid. I have the large scale sized figures, as well.

Yeah, you’ve just become Millar’s favorite poster ever.

These are great! That movie is a rock opera on acid. A favorite of mine.

I didn’t even know you could get these ! Love that movie and with Doc Savage it has been a double bill regularly shown in my home for years.

When I was growing up we had an old Betamax video recorder and the only tapes we had were Grease, Ben Hur, The Godfather, The Wild Geese, the Inspector General and Flash Gordon. I may have seen each of these more than a few times.

When we got married my wife adamantly refused to walk down the aisle to the Wedding March by Queen from the Flash Gordon soundtrack.

Am I a fan of the GREATEST MOTION PICTURE EVER MADE?

Yes I am.

It almost cost me my relationship. I had a chance to go and have my photo taken with Sam Jones on a hawkman rocket cycle, and I sacrificed that just so I could go to some 60th wedding anniversary bash my partners grandparents were having.

Why is that any more special than a 61st anniversary bash? Why didin’t she understand???

What the F**k???

I had no idea these existed. I feel I’m being pranked.

Is this real???

Are we in the real world now???

MM

So this might be a time for a retelling of the infamous Flash Gordon incident at Bristol Comic Con.

Back in the depths of time (Christ, it was ten or eleven years ago!), in the days before Thought Bubble, UK and Ireland (and sometimes further afield) MillarWorlders would go to Bristol Comic Con to meet up and hang out for the weekend and have a metric shedload of fun. This frequently spilled over into after-hours silliness in one hotel room or another. And lo one evening the imitable Wesman hooks up a DVD player to the TV in the room. And we put on Flash Gordon, and there’s much rejoicing, and yelling of GORDON’S ALIVE? FLYING BLIND ON A ROCKETCYCLE?

The following morning I’m queing for breakfast beside Gary Erskine, whom I’d been talking with a bit at a panel the day before (and I’ve loved his art ever since Warheads from Marvel UK), and I was asking him was he enjoying the con. He said he had been, but there’d been a party in the room next to his last nght and they were watching Flash Gordon and shouting along to the dialogue. I winced and apologised. He said he wouldn’t have minded if we’d asked him in…

I seem to remember it being a thing at the DICE Con a couple of years back as well…All of the posters in the hotel for the Con were being slowly replaced throughout the with posters for Blessedcon (I know because I was helping). I still have one of them at home somewhere.

I seem to have a memory of not making it home and watching Flash Gordon in the pub that night, but I may just be imagining it.

I still have one of the JOHNCON posters we did up for the original Dublin Comic Con John put on back in 2005 or so. I made sure the first question the guest panel got asked was “who’d win in a race, the Flash or Superman?”

Good times. Good times.

I love the movie.
Hate how it’s influenced pop culture ideas on Flash Gordon though.

Burn the heretic :wink:

Sorry, the movie is fantastic.
But damn, Brian Blessed referencing only works there.

There’s a reason why Starlight was the best Flash gordon comic in ages.

I was kidding. :smile:

Seriously guys. I was kidding. Put the kindling away. :wink:

I love the old Buster Crabbe serials and the movie is a bit of a left turn…not just from that, from most things really. I get your point. It makes it difficult to do another Flash Gordon movie seriously.

I agree with you on Starlight.

Did you read the Jeff Parker/Doc Shaner series at all?

I love the Alex Raymond strips.
They were straight up action adventure fantasy with some grit.

The movie captures that at some points but overall…it runs on a different aesthetic track.

I did read the Parker/Shaner series. It was a huuuuuge disappointment.
Shaner is the perfect artist for Flash Gordon, but Parker just fumbled too hard.

That’s probably true for me too.

Due to a signal blackspot where I grew up my parents had cable tv (although they called it ‘the pipe’ back then) since 1969, just providing BBC, ITV etc.

In around 1985, long after it became common in the US but 4 years before Murdoch launched Sky and it took off in the UK they started giving us extra channels, they were pretty cheap affairs, Sky Channel as it was known mostly showed 1960 US TV repeats like The Flying Nun.

One of them was called Premiere: The Movie Channel and they showed Flash Gordon every other day at 4.30pm for about 6 months. So I’d come home from school and watch it again and again. It’s great.

Decades ago PBS (Public Broadcasting Service, for non-Murricans) broadcast the first couple of Flash Gordon serials, once a week, just like in the movie house of olden days. It was a lot of fun admiring the creativity involved in utilizing the limited budgets and special effects of that era of film-making.

It always surprises me how close the 1980 movie was to those serials and how the serials were INCREDIBLY close to the beloved comic-strips. It was a very early example of being respectful to the source material.

MM

Yeah, I love the movie, but I’m a much bigger fan of the original series. The sheer inventiveness and scope of those days is exhilarating, as is the silliness and the fact that Crabbe’s Flash is a bit of a psycho who’ll go ahead and strangle you the moment you look at him funny. Seriously, strangling is a big thing for him, it’s his standard move. Look at what happens when this poor guard doesn’t react quickly enough to his commands:

Strangle!!!

Here’s one of my favourite bits: Flash is imprisoned in the Floating City and has to shovel radioactive ore in the nuclear reactor that’s keeping the city afloat, because back then that’s how people imagined this whole nuclear thing would work. But when a fellow slave collapses, Flash has just kind of had it and starts attacking the guards with a shovel. Note how his friend has to hold him back when the cavalry arrives, because you know Flash is just ready to take them all on with his shovel.

Later on, he causes a nuclear explosion to escape, but it’s essential that he make it behind a lead wall to protect him from that explosion. That wall is about a meter high.