millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Are Marvel movies too funny for their own good? (A.K.A. Sincerity in comic book movies)

I think this was very interesting and deserved its own thread.

This video may be onto something. While I like Marvel movies, they may be abusing too much of humor to they point they don’t allow themselves to have completely sincere moments anymore. Everything has to be followed by a joke or a witty remark, diminishing the emotional impact of the story. They’re becoming parodies of themselves and poking fun at the genre. In particular the example of how Guardians 2 pokes fun at the scene in Avengers is on point. Not even Civil War seems to escape from this.

Everyone here knows how I feel about Doctor Strange.
…which was.

Green Lantern is also a decent example. “Let’s cast someone who’s strength is in comedy and completely avoid using that to our advantage.”

Also, I thought Winter Soldier struck the best balance of all the Marvel movies so far in what you are referencing.

I agree that sometimes they go over the top, and while the MCU films tend to go beyond being simply Blockbuster films, that’s honestly all they are to me. I like a good laugh, and I rarely do repeat viewings, so I never give it the opportunity to get old.

This is also the reason I have really enjoyed the DC films. They are just Blockbusters to me, to provide me with kickass entertainment for a couple hours out of my week, and they do the job.

THANK YOU. This nails my feelings on the Marvel movies … that I can’t bring myself to care much because all the emotional engagement has been chipped away by comedy. It’s not that I’m after darkness - it’s the sincerity that’s missing.

I’m probably the wrong person to comment in this thread but outside of Guardians and the occasional Hemsworth bit I don’t find these movies funny at all. And in some cases I find the jokes stupid to the point where they bog the movie down. But everyone has a different sense of humor.

I don’t know if it affects the emotional beats or not. I think those beats are more affected by the fact that this is an endless saga so who cares.

I like humor in my comic book movies (the banter more than anything, I don’t care about the silly jokes), but I think there’s a time for everything.

Isn’t that also the case with ongoing comic books then?

Pretty much. Compare the emotional beats of something like Y The Last Man or even a self contained mini like All Star Superman to anything in the last 20 years of X-Men.

Which may be the reason I felt the comics of DC from the 80s and 90s (the good ones, like Waid’s legendary Flash run or Robinson’s Starman) had more of an emotional impact, when the universe had something closer to a real sense of progression before status quo was inevitably resetted again.

The answer to that question is ‘no’

The answer is “sometimes”.

I felt Vol.2 was as heartfelt and sincere as it was humour-filled.
Dr. Strange though…ruined itself.

So…sometimes.

I don’t think it is. I think it’s fundamentally flawed from it’s initial premise. It suggests you can’t have both a dramatic scene and a comedy aspect, it’s either one or the other. This is bullshit, the audience can deal with both a dramatic moment and a comedic undertone. And they work. Continually. They endear the character further. The win over audiences. They put the movie over the top.

I give you the greatest example of them all: “I love you.” “I know.”

The Marvel movies continually make huge bank, get great reviews and please audiences. This video maker is a twat to suggest they need to learn something. His video is chock full of false assumptions. I hope he stubs his toe every day of his life.

The ‘I know’ is character development (or showing Han’s lack thereof), and for me, isn’t particularly funny either.

I completely agree with the video - I’ve always liked my heroes with a liberal dash of emotional sincerity (favourites include Superman: A Man For All Seasons, Claremont X-Men and Peter David’s Spider-Man), and the best bits of the Marvel films have been where they’ve managed to stir my emotions.

Bank balance doesn’t mean anything in terms of quality - see Transformers franchise vs. any number of extremely well made indie films. There are people who would like to see a higher quality from the Marvel stable, I don’t think we need to name call when it gets mentioned.

Damn.

I think that’s pretty different from what the Marvel movies do, which is poking fun at the material. The scene in Star Wars is a fun one-liner but still comes off as serious, it’s not making fun of itself as a movie.

I think it’s something that the comics have been doing for quite some time too. There was a time where the material had a sincerity to it, it wasn’t ashamed to be a superhero comic. Nowadays it’s pretty common for Marvel comics to wink at the audience, accepting almost in a shameful way that this stuff is ridiculous, as if they were apologizing to its audience.

The X-Men costumes issue in the movies and the comics springs to mind. Knowing irony has really handicapped the genre.

Aye, while there are a lot of books out right now that have “humour” as one of their core tenets - the Elmer Fudd comic is one of the most actually funny ones due to handling it with tact rather than barging in with an eye toward making gags about the events at hand.

Not that such a method can’t be done well, but it’s become somewhat standard issue, which diminishes the effects of going about it that way.

The key is that the movie must have a sense of fun about itself, but at the same time be sure about itself. Believing in a complete earnest way on the material.

Exactly like Star Wars.

I never thought that Star Wars line was intended to be a joke.