millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Anyone for Logic Puzzles?

My mom has this very cool calendar:

The way it works is, the two grey cubes can be rotated into different orientations so any date from 1 to 31 can be displayed.

Ok, so your puzzle for today is: what numbers do you draw on each of the cubes’ faces to make this possible?

Cube 1 - 0,1,2,4,5,6

Cube 2 - 1,2,3,7,8,9

Nice try, but you’d have to miss the fourth of July if you followed that dating scheme :wink:

Shit! You’re right. The two days after it too.

Perhaps for fairness and clarity I should have said “any date from 01 to 31”. You need to be able to put a leading zero for 01 to 09.

Spoiler-tagging my guess, just in case:

The only doubles you’re ever going to need are 1 and 2, so they need to be on both. If you need a zero for the first nine days of the month then you’ll obviously need one of those on each cube too. So 0,1,2,3,4,5 and 0,1,2,6,7,8? The twist is that the 6 doubles as a 9 when necessary. :slight_smile:

I knew there had to be something sneaky going on.

It was only when I realised that you need two each of 0,1 and 2 that the penny dropped that there weren’t enough spaces left for all the other numbers.

Absolutely right :slight_smile:

Ok, here’s a good one that I saw a while back.

Jack is looking at Anne, but Anne is looking at George. Jack is married, but George is not. Is a married person looking at an unmarried person?

A: Yes
B: No
C: Cannot be determined

Erased answer, blur tool is jacked up.

Right.

I had to draw this one, too. It’s very clever, and not what my gut reaction told me. The answer is A but I would struggle to explain it succinctly without showing you my drawings :slight_smile:

Right! :slight_smile:

It’s about solving by modelling rather than straight deduction.

C, as Anne may be Jack’s wife, but maybe he’s looking at her for different reasons.

I dispute this.

C - cannot be determined

No, here’s why:

Imagine the three are standing in a straight line - Jack, Anne and George, left to right. If you know the line starts with someone married, and ends with someone unmarried, then at some point someone married has to be looking at someone unmarried: Either Anne is unmarried, and Jack is the married person looking at someone unmarried; or Anne is married, and she is looking at the unmarried George.

Not so: Anne may or may not be married, we are not told which but she must be in one of those two states. If she is married, then she is a married person looking at an unmarried one (George). If she is not married, then Jack is a married person looking at an unmarried one (Anne). So whichever state she is in, there is one married person looking at an unmarried one. So the answer is A: Yes.

Edit: Dave typed a little faster :smiley:

You are both incorrect.

We are not given key determiners in order to come to that conclusion, and as such, we can only make an assumption of their locality in order to arrive at answer A; ergo, answer C is the most applicable. For example; either Anne or George could be photographs, rather than people; or Anne could be looking at George through the window of a passing train. Therefore, the answer “cannot be determined” is the most relevant as the facts we are provided with are far too sparse to arrive at a conclusive response, applying either deductive or modelling reasoning. In the event that A Jack is Married, and B Anne cannot be determined to be married or not, and C George is unmarried - the fact remains that B cannot be determined to be married or not; as an indeterminate variable, she could a) be married when Jack is looking at her and b) be unmarried during the time she is looking at George – we must make the assumption that these people are viewing each other contemporaneously in order to arrive at conclusion A. .

Ah, the “if I give the words their most unlikely meaning” argument.

You can apply that to pretty much any logic puzzle to get a “not enough evidence” solution.

What if Anne is a dog?

It’s not really in the spirit of these kinds of puzzles, even if you can insist on it for pedantic purposes. :slight_smile: