millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Anthony Russo comments on possible Marvel Cinema/TV crossovers

Here’s what Anthony Russo said today proving definitively that Marvel TV is not actually a part of the MCU:

“It is a smaller scale version of the problem that exists when remembering that Fox holds the rights to some of Marvel’s most popular characters, as does Sony and others.” continued Russo. “As storytellers, we only have control over what happens in Marvel movies, but everything is possible, Spider-Man (whose rights were held by Sony) became possible!”
http://nerdist.com/avengers-infinity-war-co-director-addresses-the-defenders-rumors/

He practically just said that Marvel TV is as much a part of the MCU as the Fox made Fantastic Four and X-Men or the Sony made Spidermans. In other words: they’re NOT connected at all.

He basically just confirmed what I’ve been saying all along.

Jessica Jones mentions the alien invasion from Avengers as well as Hulk and Captain America.

And Agents of SHIELD tied in directly a bunch.

I suspect this is a new development following Feige’s split with Perlmutter. I guess we’ll see what SHIELD does about Civil War.

He doesn’t say definitively that the universes are not connected, merely that his group does not have control over the Netflix storylines and characters. As Will points out, there are references in the Netflix series (both DD and JJ) to events and characters from the big screen MCU. The connection may not be as strong as in Agents of SHIELD, but there’s no brick wall between Marvel Studios and Netflix like the one between Marvel and Fox.

We can dream, can’t we? :slight_smile:

Honestly, I’d rather they kept the Netflix characters out of the movies, where they’d probably only be cameo-ing anyway. Jessica Jones isn’t even a superhero, she’s a former wannabe superhero who happens to have powers.

I never liked the attempts to have her go back to superhero-ing in the comics, and hope they don’t go that direction in the series.

Yeah, and it’s not actually that dissimilar to the relationship in the comics between the regular MCU and the MAX imprint. They’re clearly set in the same world, but they’re kept pretty separate and operate independently.

Off the top of my head:

In Agents of SHIELD:
Coulson’s apparent death in Avengers is a major plot point during series 1
The aftermath of the attack on London in Thor 2 was shown
Sif has showed up twice, played by Jamie Alexander both times.
The final story arc in series 1 directly ties into Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Coulson’s SHIELD provides the Avengers with Strucker’s location for the strike at the start of Age of Ultron.
The Helicarrier that shows up in Age of Ultron is shown being built.

In Daredevil:
The Chitauri attack on New York is both referred to directly a couple of times and is the impetus for the Kingpin’s plan to buy up cheap real estate in Hell’s Kitchen
Framed newspaper articles in Ben’s office refer to both The Incredible Hulk and Avengers

In Jessica Jones:
The Chitauri attack is referred to repeatedly.
Captain America and the Hulk are indirectly referred to.
A child is seen wearing a movie-style Captain America costume

Seems pretty integrated into the MCU to me,.

However, the movie production team have said a few times that they’re not going to be beholden to the events of the TV series, and that’s kinda fair when there’s such a long lead time for a movie, and the audience is so much bigger than for TV.

Yes, they’re clearly the same world. And as you say, for obvious reasons the links only tend to go one way: something like AoS can get a lot of mileage out of building off the events of the movies (like the collapse of SHIELD in Winter Soldier or Fury’s need for a helicarrier in Age of Ultron), but you’re not going to see Luke Cage or Foggy Nelson suddenly show up in Dr Strange.

Yeah, a few non-comic fans I know were already “who are these guys” with Falcon and War Machine showing up in Age of Ultron. Having the TV characters show up, even for a cameo would just confuse things more.

Which will make the Inhumans movie very interesting, at least in terms of marketing and behind-the-scenes stuff.

It would be kind of hilarious if they just straight up ignored everything set up in AoS, but I definitely think it’s possible.

I’m fine with all that. Just as long as they don’t claim that “it’s all connected” just to trick people into watching the shows.

I like that they are all in one large interconnected universe with nods here and there but not completely beholden to each other. The fact that Kingpin’s scheme in Daredevil is possible or that some are slightly paranoid about people with powers in Jessica Jones because of the destruction in Avengers is kinda cool. I don’t watch Agents of Shield or any of the non-Netflix TV. I haven’t even seen Ant Man yet. So I obviously don’t feel obligated to watch everything. I think that’s how it should be.

Once upon a time I met this guy named Sam. He was best friends with Julia Roberts. Always talking about Julia Roberts this and Julia Roberts that. He even had the same hair stylist as Julia Roberts. After Julia gave birth, his life was affected greatly, he made a new room in his house for when the baby might visit, he decorated it and put the baby’s name on the wall and everything.

Then one day, I ran into Julia Roberts herself. “Hey, I know your best friend Sam. We’re gym buddies! He’s always talking about you and he really loves you”. Julia goes “Sam? I don’t know anyone named Sam.”

So, was Sam part of the JCU (Julia Roberts Universe)? No, he was not.
Was Julia part of Sam’s world? In a very contrived and fake way, yes she was.

The same thing here:
Marvel TV is NOT part of the MCU.
The MCU is kind of a part of Marvel TV: tertiary characters might appear on ABC shows and the events that happen in the MCU might change the ABC shows and might be mentioned on the Netflix shows.

Bottomline: There is no integration “into the MCU”. There is some shallow integration of MCU into the TV shows. I have no problem with that. Just don’t like that the way they are trying to trick viewers into believing they are friends with Julia Roberts.

If that’s what you take away form the situation than that’s what you take away from it. If you’re expecting the characters from the TV shows to appear in the movies, that’s impractical from both a storytelling and logistics point of view.

The MAX imprint still had plenty to do with the the rest of the Marvel Universe. You had all of the avengers appear. You had Carol Danvers as Jess’ best friend. You had Jess beat up Scarlet Witch and then get trashed by the rest of the avengers. You had Scott Lang as Jess’ boyfriend. You even had Spidey cameo.

I only expected that because until now they claimed that “it’s all connected”.

Why’re you so worried about Sam? If you don’t like the guy, just leave him alone. :wink:

Those things weren’t considered part of the main Marvel Universe until much later when Bendis had more control though.

I would hardly consider an offhand comment from a director as an official statement on MCU properties. :wink:

“It’s all connected” isn’t disproven by saying “they exist in the same world, but interact very little.” I haven’t met Julia Roberts but we exist on the same planet. (How many more Julia Roberts arguments and hypotheticals can we all come up with??)

That’s the funniest analogy I’ve ever heard. Like, I’m not making a judgement as to whether or not it is germane to the conversation, I just genuinely think it is awesome on its own merits.

I’m not trying to derail the discussion but do you actually have a friend name Sam who was delusional about his Julia Roberts connection? I only ask because the analogy was rather detailed.

Not being connected in the way you want them to be doesn’t mean they’re not connected though.

Let’s take an example from comics: When Excalibur launched back in the day, it was touted as the British X-Men. It featured Shadowcat, Nightcrawler and Rachel Summers as Phoenix, and Captain Britain and his companion Meggan. Most of their enemies were original or from Captain Britain’s solo titles. When their comic tied in to Inferno - in which they even travelled to New York, none of the X-Men showed up. In fact, their first interaction with the X-Men was almost 5 years after the title launched, a story where the Warwolves pretended to be them, and at the end they talked to each other on a screen. After that Professor X and Jean Grey showed up for one issue, Colossus and Moira MacTaggart joined the team. But no member of Excalibur appeared in another X-Men comic until after the original series had been cancelled, and they added Shadowcat, Colossus and Nightcrawler back to the main teams.

Like the Marvel TV series, Excalibur referred to the main mutant books on occasion, and had guest appearances every once in a while. Like the Marvel TV series, none of their plots or characters fed back into the main titles.

Was Excalibur an X-Book?