millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Ant Man and The Wasp (Spoiler thread)

My wife has said she really wants to see it again. It really struck a chord with her. I had a good time so we’ll probably go see it this weekend.

Saw it and I loved it. It is a little busy with Burch, the feds, and Bill Foster and the Ghost, but that was the only minor nitpick, other than that it was great. This might come in with the lowest box office for Marvel yet, but for me it was a success.

Haven’t seen it, won’t til it hits home release, but I had a question… what did they do with Jimmy Woo?

He’s kind of played as a comic foil for Scott Lang. Not what we got in the Atlas comics.

Yeah, he felt a lot like Coulson in the MCU films, but a bit lighter.

Finally out in the UK today.

I really enjoyed it. Hope as the Wasp is great, Ghost is a good villain, who isn’t over-extended and is supported by the other elements of Goggins and the FBI (I really liked Woo). The choreography of shrinking against phasing was fun. I think the jokes weren’t as strong as the first’s, probably due to the lack of Adam McKay on the script, but overall it’s a really enjoyable film.

The first half was fantastic, second half a little overlong and felt a little anti climactic. Enjoyed it a lot though, Paul Rudd is ridiculously watchable.

Just saw it, and it was okay.

I liked most of the superhero-y action/comedy stuff, but all the science stuff just annoyed me. Obviously all this movie science is made up, but here none of the characters’ actions related to it made any sense, and it continually took me out of the movie.

The whole thing where Ghost is going to somehow extract all of Janet’s energy, which is a thing that they somehow know how to do, or the post-credits scene with “quantum healing energy” didn’t make a lick of sense. I was especially annoyed by the whole “you must find me within exactly x hours or I’ll be gone for 100 years” stuff with Janet, which was just a massive coincidence.

The funny bits were pretty good though, especially Luis Drunk History-ing Scott’s backstory.

Most of the science stuffed passed me by but I’m not a hugely sciency guy anyway, you can handwave a lot past me.

What I had to question was that after 30 years on her own in what looked to be a hellhole that Michelle Pfeiffer hadn’t gone completely insane or just given up and killed herself. Which is not really a subject suited to a cheery action/comedy film but there you go. :smile:

I think the Magic Glowy Hands bit was really lame.

The science was complete bobbins, definitely (the lab being shrunk down already and then being inside the cars when they shrunk would have surely made anything in it small enough to be entering the quantum realms like Scott did to kill YJ) but I honestly wasn’t bothered by any of that. The first one was similarly inconsistent about the weight and density of shrunk things, but it didn’t affect my enjoyment of the story.

The stuff with Scott stuck at slightly giant size (and using the flatbed as a scooter) reminded me a lot of one of the second wave Lee/Kirby stories, where Hank’s just become Giant-Man and is utterly useless at capturing the Human Top.

I for one thought the science was completely realistic.

Yeah, the science is total garbage. But once you just accept that this is a comic book superhero movie and just enjoy it for what it is, it goes pretty smoothly.

Here are some good videos about the science of size:

One scene had me thinking, “Boy, if you were that size all your breath would be bad breath. And if you take a mint you’d burn people’s eyes out!”

I’ve been watching My Hero Academy (a popular currently airing anime that seemingly takes some influences from western superhero comics and mixes them with the Japanese version) and it has really helped me get fired up about superheroes again, remembering why I loved superhero comics above all other entertainment when I was a kid. It’s been making me question why I’m not loving the superhero domination at the movies. They’re the most popular genre in the world right now! It really is everything I could have dreamed about when younger, and I had Raimi’s Spider-Man then.

It was with this renewed optimism that I saw Ant-Man and the Wasp today. By the end of the movie it had all but left me as I remembered all of my problems with the Marvel Age of cinema. I thought that the first Ant-Man was the most mediocre movie (though not the worst) that Marvel Studios had made at that point in time. I got to sit in a room for two hours and feel nothing. This sequel probably isn’t much better (if at all). A funny Stan Lee cameo doesn’t come close to making up for wasting this cast. The after-credits gag was even put in the trailer. None of the action seemed to pop, some of the cuts were a little poor. IMAX is surely a wasted experience for this one. It’s criminal that this is eating up all of the screens and Fallout is pushed out, despite that actually filming sequences in native IMAX. Agreeing with what has been said upthread, Ant-Man wasn’t even very funny. I reacted positively to a joke about four times, though some other people in my screening were laughing a lot. Good for them.

I was willing Scott to turn to dust so that I could do some mental gymnastics and try to convince myself that there won’t be a third one.

I think this has turned into a bit of a rant but it wasn’t what I was going for at the start. If anything good has come from this movie, it’s had me mentally reassess Homecoming and agree that I was probably a little harsh on that (declaring it to be thoroughly okay). It will take a rewatch for me to be sure though.

I’m still hopeful for future Marvel flicks (and excited for Captain Marvel), but Ant-Man and the Wasp hasn’t done anything for me.

I will stand up for the Ant-Man movies at this point and say they are clearly aimed at younger viewers. My nephew loves them. It’s kind of Marvel’s way of covering all their bases I think.

It’s not up there with the best of MCU by any means but Rudd is pretty watchable and I can’t wait to see him mix more with other heroes.

The first Ant-Man is in my top 3 MCU films.
It’s a great origin story that’s light and free of fluff and nonsense.

The second has a lot of nonsense though, and that’s a shame.

What Gar said there was pretty much what I said coming out of the theatre.
Apart from that plot problem and the lack of an actual villain, I thought it was very good fun. Thought some of the stuff they did with the grow-shrinky in the action scenes was amazing. My girlfriend was bothered by the terrible science, but all of that went past me. Well, except for how Janet was supposed to have survived for 30 years in the quantum realm. Like, what did she eat? But that’s a squibble on the Doc-Strange-watching-11-million-scenarios level, not something that actually bothers me.

The relationships between the characters and most of the quippy dialogue worked well, and the idea of Michael Pena’s aunt owning a café with a jukebox that plays only Morrissey songs was pure brilliance.