millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Anime Thread

Oh really? I was pretty disappointed by how it all turned out. It had a good start though.

Yeah, it did not seem to be sure of the story most of the way through and what it finally settled on for the second season was not interesting.

I would be more interested in a story set farther back a generation or so.

I find that to be a common problem with a lot of anime series, actually. They start out really strong and kinda fizzle out towards the end. ie. Ergo Proxy, Sword Art Online 1+2 and many more. I found myself watching this entire series in one sitting so I must’ve liked it. I completely devoured it.

Anyone tried Nanatsu No Tanzai? It’s on Netflix.

I liked it. Although the manga is seriously a beast. I don’t want to oversell it but it’s the new Dragon Ball.

It is very likable. I haven’t found it very distinctive yet as far as those shonen shows go. I see more imagination in shows like SOUL EATER and HUNTER X HUNTER while SEVEN DEADLY SINS kinda flirts with pushing the boundary and then pulls back. I can’t say that I’ve seen the main protagonist - the captain - actually pushed to the limit yet. As soon as it seems like he’s taken on more than he can handle, it turns out he’s just faking out his opponents.

Right now though, I have to say that of the new series that are still ongoing, GRIMGAR and GATE are the ones in the fantasy genre that delivered more than expected. Also, I’ve heard good things about KONOSUBA. If it’s anything like IS IT WRONG TO TRY TO PICK UP GIRLS IN A DUNGEON?, I’ll give it a watch.

I agree with you on the anime of the Seven Deadly Sins. Do try the manga. It is so much better.

Fast paced. And the story moves incredibly fast. Not like Bleach that takes 3 months to finish one single fight.

I do love Soul Eater.

Never heard of Grimgar. Gate I’m following the manga. Which I love. Didn’t know there was an anime.

How many volumes are there?
I’d love to get stuck into a cool manga right now.

166 chapters are available online. :slight_smile:
Enjoy it! I seriously hope you like it as much as I do.

And a bonus manga that is finished: Psyren

If you need manga advice don’t hesitate to ask. I’m an addict.

I find that to be a common problem with a lot of anime series, actually. They start out really strong and kinda fizzle out towards the end. ie. Ergo Proxy, Sword Art Online 1+2 and many more. I found myself watching this entire series in one sitting so I must’ve liked it. I completely devoured it.

Ha, I could never do a whole series in one go. The animation was pretty but I thought the plot was too fantastical to fit the real-world vibe they had going on. I’m a sucker for detective stories so naturally he was my favourite character but by the time they went to the airport and there was all of that engrish, they were losing me.

Grimgar was a light novel, first. GATE is an interesting one. It started as an online light novel which was then published, adapted into a manga and finally an anime. I’m finding out a lot of shows I thought started as manga actually started as novels (light or visual). I don’t know if that’s always been the case, but at least since the Haruhi Suzumiya series, it seems like there are at least as many light novel adaptations out there as manga. Completely original anime series still seem very uncommon, though. Psycho Pass was the most recent one I’ve watched.

lets all agree that One Punch Man is the best anime out there.

I’d like to see an anime series of AKIRA since the movie came out way before the manga was finished and still cut out most of the story. We didn’t even really get to see Akira or a full powered Tetsuo.

I’d also like to see an anime adaptation of ALL YOU NEED IS KILL - the original novel and the manga - but I wonder if LIVE. DIE. REPEAT would make that impossible.

I don’t know if you guys have seen this before, but I discovered this “abridged” parody version of DBZ which is pretty funny… and I think it’s acutally better than the original :smile:

Oh yeah, the quality of the voice overs are pretty bad in the begining, but they get better… I do hope they finish it some day though…

*Edit: Also, Vegeta was originally dressed as Thanos (and the sayan ships are like Galactus’ ship) =P

I think Macross manages to remain relevant more than other mecha franchises. The core formula - love triangle, pop music, the enemy isn’t as alien as we first think - is decent, and generally remains positive even when the story itself can be quite grim even though the skin over the top changes with the times.

And by having a new series every 5-10 years instead of every year or two (Gundam, looking at you) helps keep it fresh. It’s easily the high water mark for mecha action animation to boot.

This is my biggest disappointment with the movie. I read the manga long after I saw the film, and only then realised what might have been. The movie is just the first act of the story, really.

I watch this every Good Friday:

I stumbled on a copy of Venus Wars yesterday and enjoyed it so much I watched it twice. This anime is everything I love about anime. I can’t believe I’d never seen this before. It’s out on blu ray now and looks fantastic. The painted backgrounds and insanely cool character and vehicle designs are really cool. 1989 was a good year for anime.

Teaser trailer for the return of VOLTRON. Yaaaaay!

I wonder if it’s being sold as a Golion sequel in Japan

Good question. Looks like they’re going back to the original design at any rate and it’s Studio Mir so will look very pretty. Really good voice cast involved too.

Wasn’t the old Westernised version also a mash-up with another Japanese series? Can’t remember the name.