millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Anime Thread

I watched the beginning but lost interest after about 30 minutes. I think it was pretty cost conscious so it didn’t look quite as good as BLAME!, AJIN or KNIGHTS OF SIDONIA.

I was actually more interested in the stories set up in the prologue.

It’s the first in a trilogy of movies, apparently. And it’s also a distant sequel to New Godzilla.

I got halfway through last night and enjoyed it well enough, I’ll watch the rest tonight

How about traditional animation:

So yeah, Godzilla: Planet of Monsters was OK. Good setup, and like @BeingHenning said the backplot was very interesting. But it’s like almost half the movie before they get back to Earth, and Godzilla doesn’t show up until there’s less than half an hour left, and it’s all very standard really. None of the characters have any depth except Haruo, and even he isn’t particularly interesting.

But it looks pretty, I like the design work (though it really reminds me of Blame and Knights of Sidonia too), and the fights with Godzilla and the smaller monsters are pretty cool. It basically coasts on the cool parts, but when compared to the thoughtful and interesting take on the story in New Godzilla, it just looks less great.

If only Hideaki Anno had directed this one!
A Godzilla movie that looks like a Rebuild movie? A guy can dream.
Did you watch it in English or Japanese? And when is the next part going to be? Is it months away? A year?

I watched it in Japanese, and Wiki says the next movie, which will have Mechagodzilla in it will be out in May. Presumably that’s the Japanese release, in which case it’ll be on Netflix in July or August if they keep the same pattern as Planet of Monsters

Awesome. I hope it’s good. Sounds like a pretty fun concept.

Has anybody been watching Megalo Box? I’ve been enjoying it a lot. Really stylish but in a way that brings back the 90s sci-fi grunge that’s been sadly absent from anime for a very long time. Watching this makes me realise just how long it’s been.

Haven’t been too interested in any new Anime lately. Honestly, the last truly great anime series I saw was MADE IN ABYSS.

Speaking of video essays on Akira:

Must…watch…Akira…again…