millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Anime Thread

How short is short?

Like 10 minutes, I think

They’d actually release a 10-minute movie on blu-ray???

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-10-22/full-metal-panic-iv-tv-anime-revealed-for-fall-2017/.107970

After an eleven(!) year break, Full Metal Panic series IV is coming next year!

I’m so shocked at this. Shocked.

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz is currently showing for free on Gundaminfo’s YouTube channel. Wing isn’t my favourite incarnation of the franchise, but Endless Waltz is pretty as all hell and well worth a watch just for mecha action.

After watching Ghost in the Shell (original and 2.0) and its sequel, Innocence over the past few days for the first time, I’m wondering what everyone else thinks about them. The first movie really impressed me (even moreso with the subbed version of 2.0, because the dub quality is a little uneven), but I’m not sure what to think of Innocence. Overall the animation is great, but I’m not so sure about the story or overall lack of setpieces. I’m sure some of you have watched these movies dozens of times, right?

I need to rewatch Innocence, but I remember it being incredibly melancholy, more about mood than the events. Batou’s life becomes defined by the absence of Kusanagi, and he only becomes alive when she’s back. But of course she doesn’t stay.

I saw the Stand Alone Complex movie, Solid State Society much more recently, and it uses much of the same setup - Kusanagi has left Section 9, Batou is despondent and searching for her, and their paths cross on a case, but tells a more satisfying story instead of being a mood piece. But I’d recommend Stand Alone Complex in general, being two series of TV and a movie it has a lot more time with Section 9, to the point of even bringing back the characters from the manga who don’t appear in the movies at all.

That sounds good to me.
Innocence was well animated (aside from some questionable cgi) but I couldn’t much get into it. Am I right in assuming that it doesn’t take much from the manga?

I intend to get all of SAC (it’s just two series and a movie, right?) before the live-action film hits.
How’s Arise/The New Movie? A worthwhile addition or not so much?

That was a great analysis. It’s made me want to watch the film again now.

Very little, yeah. Practically nothing from the second manga series was used in the anime - I think it’s biggest contribution to the anime was SAC using the look and feel of the internet sequences from Man-Machine Interface. That said, the manga is also quite obtuse.

SAC is two 26-episode TV series and a movie. I’ve only seen the first two episodes of Arise and while they weren’t bad, there wasn’t much special about them.

I recently watched the Rage of Bahamut series and enjoyed it immensely.

From animenewsnetwork: [quote]Mistarcia is a magical world where humans, gods, and demons mingle together. In the past, the black-and-silver winged Bahamut has threatened to destroy the land, but humans, gods, and demons overcame their differences to fight together and seal its power. The key to that seal was split in two, one half given to the gods and the other to demons, so that they would never be united and Bahamut never released. Now, two thousand years later, the world is in an era of peace - until the day a woman steals the gods’ half of the key.[/quote]

It is directed by Keiichi Satou (Tiger & Bunny, a bunch of Mobile Suit Gundams), with Hideki Nakamura (Berserk The Golden Age Arc I, II, III) as the Art Director and Naoyuki Onda (Ergo Proxy, Berserk The Golden Age Arc I, II, III) as the Animation Director. They`ve all worked on so many awesome projects that it was difficult to choose which ones to reference. The art and animation are top notch. If you’re looking for a Dungeons & Dragons fix, this could be it. It’s a solid fantasy story with a sprinkle of western themes. I absolutely loved it.

This thread is for japan only or others countries ?

Anyway, i just wanted to share with you that I’m currently watchin Dominion tank police and at a moment the bad guys stop the heroes using devices that transformers into plastic cocks, like giant dildos.

That’s Japan, guys

Sweet! There’s going to be a second season of Rage of Bahamut.

So I’m watching Dragon Ball because I want to watch Z and a friend recommended watching the original series first. I’m up to episode 42

I just finished Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie, after watching the prior Arise episodes (or Borders, as they’re called). I can see why people call this the weakest arm of the franchise, since it’s very plot-heavy and almost too compressed to make the most out of the interesting details it drops in (like cyborg obsolescence and the potential of a digital heaven). Anyway, I enjoyed the manga references, and up next I’m going to start SAC so maybe the flaws will be more prominent after I’ve seen that.

It’s really good. Now I’m tempted to watch it again.

Watched Dragon Half again over Christmas. Every time I see it, it’s even funnier than I remember. Such a shame to only two episodes were ever available.