millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Alien: Covenant discussion - SPOILERS

That’s what I’ll be doing, to the cinema tonight, to see Alien: Covenant.

Given the interest in this movie and its predecessor, I thought it might be worth having a separate discussion thread where we can talk about it with spoilers.

So spoil away!

8 Likes

Based on the early reviews I’m not terribly interested in seeing the movie (I haven’t seen Prometheus either), but wanted to say that may be the greatest gif ever.

5 Likes

I’ve already read all the spoilers.
Now I just want to see reactions to how those were executed. Hope you enjoy the film.

2 Likes

I was among the people not particularly enamored with Prometheus. Early trailers made it appear a more direct sequel to previous Alien(s) films but the reviews are making it sound like a direct Prometheus sequel. As such, I’ll probably give this a pass unless I hear incredibly positive reviews.

1 Like

I feel like I am probably obligated as a Millarworlder to see this in the theatre.

3 Likes

I feel obligated as someone who wants Ridley to keep on this madman’s train ride to hell.

2 Likes

I thought it was okay, but nothing great. Fassbender’s definitely the main reason to see it.

Aside from being too prequel-y, my main problem was the characters, none of whom were very memorable, and more specifically the relationships between those characters.

The sort-of gimmick that it’s a colony ship, so all the characters are pairs of married couples, is good, but it’s completely wasted.

I could never tell which characters were paired up until the movie explicitly said so. Demián Bichir seems to have almost no reaction to his husband’s death, nor Billy Crudup or Danny McBride to their wives’. Jussie Smollett and Callie Hernandez have all of their scenes together, but I didn’t realise they were a couple until we see them having sex near the end.

3 Likes

I wish I had your mod powers. Revenge would’ve been had. :wink:

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it an objectively bad film. It just wasn’t my cup of tea. I’m glad the people who liked it enjoyed it. :wink:

2 Likes

I went ahead and read all of the spoilers. This movie has every trope I hate, but my roommate has already bought tickets. So I’m going to go see it, to see how it all unfolds.

3 Likes

One other thing: I get why they called this movie Alien: Covenant, but it’s really even more of a sequel to Prometheus than Aliens was to Alien.

2 Likes

I know. Can you believe that there are people on this board who haven’t seen Man of Steel?

1 Like

I thought it was a disappointment, but not a complete failure. It does what it’s trying to do fairly competently, but what it’s trying to do isn’t that interesting or original. There’s very little in this film that you feel you haven’t seen before, and mostly within this franchise!

Essentially it feels like a remix of Alien, Aliens and Prometheus, but without really capturing their defining qualities. The attempt to reach for greater philosophical ideas that we saw in Prometheus has been blunted almost to the point of non-existence, and the way it unceremoniously dumps some of the characters and concepts of that film will disappoint anyone who was hoping for a proper continuation (one in particular felt like a real disservice to me, especially given some of the promotional material we’ve seen).

At the same time, the elements that tie back more closely to the original Alien fall into the prequel trap of unnecessarily over-explaining concepts from that movie that simply don’t require it. In particular, making David such an out-and-out baddie feels at odds with the tone of the Alien movies, which were always about a much more unknowable enemy.

That said, it tells the story it wants to tell well, in terms of scene-to-scene storytelling. An early horrible moment with a hibernation pod is genuinely disturbing, the alien creatures are all unsettling and frighteningly violent, there are some amazing double-Fassbender moments where you completely buy that two identical robots are sharing the same space (the flute scene is mind-blowing in terms of how it’s put together) and there’s a horrible moment towards the end that manages to make an extremely obvious twist (that most viewers will see coming a mile off) still feel like a punch in the gut because of the precise way it’s done.

I just wish there was a bit more ambition to it all - either a desire to tell an Alien story that’s never been told before, or to properly explore the philosophical questions raised by Prometheus. Covenant ends up being neither one thing nor the other: it’s a derivative story that makes a couple of concessions to bigger ideas, but is mostly content to just go through the motions.

Oh, and those two extended scenes that were used to promote the film (the ‘last supper’ one and the one with Shaw and David) really should have been left in the movie. It feels quite incomplete without them.

8 Likes

Kermode nails it.

3 Likes

Alien 3: “Disaster”

Riiiight.

1 Like

I really enjoyed that. I might have even liked it more than Prometheus.
Man, what a great looking film.

3 Likes

It definitely feels much more like an Alien film than Prometheus, which is a strength and a weakness.

2 Likes

“The Da Vinci Code in space” - put that on the poster.

4 Likes

Some days I feel like I prefer Prometheus to Alien though. Mainly for the designs (of the ship, the spacesuits, the tech). I’m much more into the shiny, top of the line stuff than the weathered, dank aesthetics of the original Alien.
Poor Shaw…

2 Likes

Interesting review by Kermode there, and I can’t say I’m at all surprised by any of that. That being said, I did like Prometheus (more so upon a second viewing than the first time), and I do look forward to seeing Covenant tomorrow.

2 Likes