millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Alan Moore retiring from creating comics

After writing some of the most famous and critically acclaimed comic
books of all time, including Watchmen, V for Vendetta, From Hell and The
League of Extraordinary Gentleman, Alan Moore has confirmed that he is retiring from the medium.
At a press conference in London for his latest work, Jerusalem, a
weighty novel named after William Blake’s poem exploring the history of
Moore’s native Northampton through several lives, Moore said he had
“about 250 pages of comics left in me”.

He added: “And those will probably be very enjoyable. There are a
couple of issues of an Avatar [Press] book that I am doing at the
moment, part of the HP Lovecraft work I’ve been working on recently. Me
and Kevin will be finishing Cinema Purgatorio
and we’ve got about one more book, a final book of League of
Extraordinary Gentlemen to complete. After that, although I may do the
odd little comics piece at some point in the future, I am pretty much
done with comics.”

What non-comics are you reading these days?

Give him a month or two. :wink:

I hate it when great musicians, writers and artists announce that they’re retiring. You can’t! When you’re a legend in whatever you do, I don’t think really retiring is an option.

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that the Grauniad doesn’t have copy editors who understand commas.

He’s only said it so he can sell more tickets to his farewell tour.

Kind of like Scorpion’s “Farewell” Tour.
Thankfully it wasn’t.

Exactly! :smiley:

This isn’t the first time Moore has “retired” from comics. :wink:

Actually, revising my opinion to, “the Grauniad doesn’t have copy editors who have read Blake” :wink:

I always wonder if someday it’s actually going to be true. But then again, I think he’ll only truly retire when he dies.

And to be honest I think it’s more a problem with journalists than with Moore himself. “Alan Moore retires from comics” is a juicier headline than “Alan Moore has got a new novel out”, which is what the press conference was about in the first place. As he says himself, although his output has been slowing considerably in recent years, he’s still got at least three comics projects still on the go.

They should have been talking about the novel itself, because Jerusalem is bloody great.

At the same time, Moore doesn’t shy away from it. It’s like someone else mentioned, Moore is a showman that plays a recluse. He’s more Stan Lee than Steve Ditko. :wink:

Does this mean Morrison is going to steal the idea and make a similar announcement a bit down the line too? :wink: :grin: :smile:

There is actually a part in the new book that refers to this very idea. :wink:

It was me and he is* and plays for effect quite a bit but I tend to take Dave’s view on this one. He’s not making one of his big sweeping statements but rather saying he still has some coming out, may still do some from time to time but fancies doing other things like films.

What’s surprised me about this being news is I heard/read him say it a couple of weeks back but I can’t recall where now.

• I tend to think the ‘recluse’ bit is another case of being a media invention than anything Moore tries to portray. He decided not to go to comic conventions in the 80s and likes to stay in Northampton but he’s on the TV and radio all the time and does book signings and even performs on stage. He’s like the world’s crappiest recluse ‘I’ll hide here on Stewart Lee’s BBC TV show that gets a million viewers’. :smile:

To be fair, if he’s staying in the UK and only appearing on UK programs, he’s a recluse to a good portion of his audience. :wink:

Stewart Lee’s show is on Netflix. :wink:

It’s not the 80s any more!

Obligatory:

I may be slightly exaggerating to wind you up. It’s been a good day. :wink:

Providence is great.

So, enough to go out on top.