millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Adam West dies at 88

Batman was on reruns every day when I was a kid. And on Saturday mornings we had the cartoon with West and Ward supplying the voices.

Definitely introduced me to Batman. His attempts to play Grandpa Batman could almost be a movie. Just imagine! Like the non-psycho version of Sean Young…

Adam West Saved Batman. And Me.

http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2017/06/11/532411148/adam-west-saved-batman-and-me

Bill Sienkiewicz’ tribute is as elegant as ever.

Did this one a while back.

I loved happy Bats as a kid. The older I’ve become, the more I’ve appreciated just how dry the humour is in the 60s show, West was a genius in playing it so straight.

I think I’ve enjoyed it even more as an adult than I did as a kid. I never appreciated as a kid how knowing it all was. It’s so immensely likeable and endearing as an adult to see all these actors larking around so foolishly, but playing it all completely serious.

The recent Blu-Ray releases are fantastic, and show up just how great the production design on the show was, too. It’s all so bold and colourful.

I think at one point I heard things like ‘lucky I packed my Bat-anti - shark repellent’ and thought how badly written and ridiculous it was. It was only when I got older I realised that was the whole point.

… and it’s not just what he says, but how he says it. He’ll pause whatever he’s doing to look forward earnestly and deliver those ludicrous lines completely straight-laced. Comedy gold.

Watched a clip this morning that made me think his delivery was like Shatner, but the difference being he knew how bonkers he sounded.

The Riddler stuff with the outrageously far-fetched clues was always a highlight for me.

From the movie:

[quote]Batman: One: "What has yellow skin and writes?"
Robin: A ballpoint banana.
Batman: Right! Two: "What people are always in a hurry?"
Robin: Rushing people? Russians!
Batman: Right again! Now, what would you say they mean?
Robin: Banana… Russian… I’ve got it! Someone Russian is gonna slip on a banana peel and break their neck!
Batman: Precisely, Robin! The only possible meaning![/quote]

The way West responds with “the only possible meaning!” at the end is just brilliant.

I agree. West was like a much more self aware Shatner.

Found this on the Byrne Robotics forums:

2017-06-13_045900_WorldsFinest

This is sweet. Watch Instagram for your LA friends that night.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/adam-wests-final-batman-outing-sets-date/

With Bill Shatner as Two-Face!

Instead of acid burns, he’s got heavy eyeliner on one side of his face.

Shatner is pretty self aware these days. :slight_smile:

The Bat Signal tribute is very cool;

Last year my wife was helping out on a music class at her school. As an End of Term timewaster, my wife and the music teacher suggested doing a Name that tune quiz with the students…For some reason, I was roped into putting the tunes together. I tried to include music that I thought the kids would know. We had the Big Bang Theory theme and Doctor Who. There were a few Disney songs in there (apparently the class had a big singalong to the Gaston song from Beauty and the Beast).

But there was a huge cheer when they played the Batman TV series theme tune and the teacher deadpanned “What TV show is this the theme for?”

“These days” being the key. :wink: