millarworld.tv Comics Creators

About the Creative Central category

Welcome to the creative forum. This is the place for people interested in making comics to learn from others, get feedback on their own work, and perhaps even get published in a Millarworld comic book. Not only for drawings, but for doing cool comic related things like events, cosplay and more. If it’s anything to do with letting your comics fan flag fly, this is the place to tell us all about it and meet like minded fans.

Hello!
I am VERY interested in the publishing part. Can you tell me more about it? Hope there isn’t any problem.
Thanks.

The artist / writer competition is running just now. Winners will be published in a MW annual. Details here: Millarworld Annual SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

May I ask if some folks here might be able to share their wisdom for a comic book writer trying to hire an artist?
I’ve talked to several comic book artists at conventions, who all give me different answers when it comes to hiring an artist and working out payment. One guy said you need to be ready to pay up front before the artist will do any work for you; another said don’t ever pay an artist up front – not if you don’t want to risk that artist taking the money and running (I have an author friend who did pay up front for a cover artist once – the artist vanished and was never heard from again. That was $1500 gone, and it would have cost my friend even more money to try to track the guy down and take him to court to re-coop the loss, so he had to let it go.)
So what is the proper way of handling that? Do you pay an artist a flat rate for their work, and then the art is yours (as the writer) to use and distribute as you wish? Do you give the artist a share of any royalties made from book sales? Combination of both (like giving the artist an advance, and then you give him/her royalties once you earn back the advance from sales)? Would you pay up front, or only once the project is complete?
Or is it just easier for a writer to learn how to draw and not deal with any of that?

Hey Arc,

This is how I do it. I pay 30-50% up front and the rest after completion. I get permission to sell their work for the comic, apparel, etc etc. I ask them to not throw anything away for potential concept art in the back of the book. I allow them to sell the physical copies of anything that they made for the comic or replicas. Example: Character Drawings. It’s the least I can do. If a project works out and the same creative team stays on it for the long haul (non-ongoing series), then I usually split profits 50/50 for at least a few years.

That’s what I have done so far.

Been writing screenplays for about 6 years seriously, but to no success just yet. Recently we were told by a producer that our concept was great but would cost too much based on the fact we are unknown. He suggested we get an existing property to go along with our script so we went on the hunt for an artist to do a GN. Found an amazing artist and we just talked it out. Came up with a price per page and a limit to how many pages he could do a week as not to break the bank. For a first time go around it has been working out pretty well for us.

(Sorry, copied most of this on profile, just didn’t see the point to writing a load of it out again, any advice or anything?? Somewhat new to sight, had a profile but never made use of it, didn’t see point till I had something completed.)

Been trying to write a fairly short graphic novel/mini series sized comic, tried a few different ideas/versions of it only this one panned out.

It’s 93 pages, to describe it…well it contains vampire and werewolves and human warriors equipped with exo-skeletal combat frames in a mostly post apocalyptic setting, I’d say it’s a coming of age story written by channeling the anti-verse version of Arthur C Clarke.
So if any takers…ideally looking for an artist to draw up, obviously I can’t pay you I’m poor lower class scum, so only expecting to hear from outright beginners, rank amateurs like myself, anything else is a bonus. Looking to just get writing showcased somewhere, so if you’re an artist, and you like and are willing to draw up my story, then it’s a chance to display your work I guess, again anything else beyond that is a bonus, if you have any ideas then we can discuss. I would say I’d prefer people somewhat local to me, but after many years beginning to find that unlikely.

Look forward to hearing from…well any one really.

Thanks for reading.

New to site, not sight as in vision, sorry my bad spelling.

FOR SOME REASON I CANT CREATE A NEW TOPIC TO PUT THIS UNDER, I KEEP GETTING A ERROR THAT MY DESCRIPTION IS TOO SIMILIAR ON EVERY CREATE A NEW TOPIC I DO ON HERE.

I DONT KNOW WHY.

SO I AM DOING IT THIS WAY, I HOPE THIS WORKS:

TO ALL AT MILLARWORLD,

I STARTED WORKING ON THESE AROUND DECEMBER 2015/ JANUARY 2016 AND HAD A GREAT IDEA FOR A NEMESIS II CONCEPT OR ALTERNATE COVER IDEAS IF MARK MILLAR EVER DID THE SEQUEL OR THE MOVIE AND IN PERFECT TIMING THIS IDEA CAME ABOUT WHEN BATMAN/ SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE MOVIE CAME OUT AS WELL AS DARK KNIGHT RETURNS III:THE MASTER RACE AND INSPIRED BY THE ORIGINAL: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS BY FRANK MILLER AND THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS II AS WELL. I REALLY WORKED VERY HARD ON THIS IN HOPES TO CATCH THE ATTENTION OF MARK MILLAR AND HOPEFULLY GAIN HIS FAVOR AND HAVE HIM GIVE FEED BACK OR PRINT THIS AS FAN ART IN ONE HIS MILLAR BOOKS IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. I HOPE EVERYONE LIKES THIS, MILLAR TOO AND WOULD LOVE HEAR EVERYONES FEEDBACK ON IT! WELL HERE WE GO:

MILLARWORLD I HOPE YOU LIKE!

MILLAR I HOPE YOU LIKE IT TOO!

IF YOU ALL REALLY DO LIKE AND WANT TO SEE IT PRINTED IN ONE OF MILLARS BOOKS AS FAN ART PLEASE APPEAL TO HIM OR WHOEVER ON THIS FORUM, I WOULD APPRECIATE AND WOULD LOVE THAT AS WELL!

PS-YES I LOVE TYPING IN CAPS! LOL!

REYES

HERE IS THE FIRST COVER IN ALL ITS GLORY!

REYES

HERE IS THE SECOND IN ALL ITS GLORY!

REYES

HERE IS THE THIRD COVER IN ALL ITS GLORY!

REYES

HERE IS BOOK 4 IN ALL ITS GLORY!

REYES