millarworld.tv Comics Creators

A thread on storytelling...

As stated, the editors or powers that be of a comic company can inhibit the writer and the storytelling. So all a writer can do is make some changes and then undo the changes back to the status quo for the next writer. The next writer for example won’t have to deal with a married Batman or a dead Elektra. I get it but I don’t really like it.

One other thing: REMINDER The rules of MW have always been not to bash creators but to write a critique. So if you are reading this thread for the first time and want to post, please don’t bash any “creators” by name… Just saying.

Is this still about Blade Runner? Do you feel like you need more of an introduction into that world before the actual plot starts?

Either way, what you described does not make the difference between good and bad writing. Quite often, it is the opposite way around - bad writing tends to be overexpository, wanting to explain too much to the reader/audience. Which is why “Show, don’t tell” is such a popular rule in creative writing courses.
(I should add that like all of these “rules”, they are made to be broken.)

Especially in the genres of sci-fi and fantasies, where you create worlds the reader doesn’t know yet, the important thing is that you flesh out that world in the details. It doesn’t really matter if you start with introductory/background scenes or straightaway with the plot; both can work fine. Blade Runner does the latter, and does it very well.

No, not about Blade Runner anymore…

My point in that post was more related to some movies like the Spiderman movies or a comic like Doomsday Clock where a lot of time (or issues) is spent giving background. With Doomsday Clock a lot of the issues were introducing the new characters and settings, and many readers were asking when is the action going to happen.
I was just saying that a writer/creator has to do it first and not cut to the chase.

I get your point nonetheless and agree…

These days it is hard for me to get into a title that is way too wordy or the plot is convoluted and confusing. Not mentioning any names of writers mind you…

I just don’t have that much time to devote and figure things out.

If the story loses me I drop the title, book, or program

As for comics storytelling, it has changed as society changes…

Batman is a much darker character, Joker is more twisted, Wolverine and his action panels is more graphically violent and bloodier etc. Now there is full frontal male nudity these days.

Those campy Silver Age stories from yesteryear don’t work as is today without some tweaking.

I don’t know what to make of it all, I am just saying…

If I had the money, I would commission reprints of older comics without! all the unnecessary! exclamation points! Because for me that’s the hardest hurdle to overcome with them.

That reminds me of one of my favourite Comic Book Urban Legends Revealed:

The answer is quite amusing.

Comic! Books?

Remakes, revivals, reboots…

Bringing back an old story comes with mixed reviews. If the original story was very well done, it can’t really be topped and the remake will be seen as just a rehash, like the original Robocop and the criticism made with its remake, or even Star Wars #4 and the movie #7 borrowed way to much from it that it was seen as a light remake by the audience.

Then you have dramas of an genre that the original did so well and exhausted all it future possibilities, like try to follow the Sopranos with a mob drama. or follow up Game of Thrones. Execs of movies and TV will do copycats but a smart audience won’t bite.

It works however if the original is dated and flawed like Battlestar Galactica where the remake was so much better and presented something new and interesting.

Interestingly, it was Brian K Vaughn who thought about modernizing Flash Gordon, but ditched the idea because we already have Guardians of the Galaxy and that would flood the market with another story of a guy in space with misfit alien crew etc.

So a remake has to provide something new for the audience, not like King Kong. :smile:

I think this came up before…

I really don’t know about that and I for one, want to see what Jordan Peele will do with the Twilight Zone for example.

As for Starlight, I would have to see Netflix do it to pass judgement.

TV has a lot of new takes like MacGuyver, Hawaii 5-0, Magnum PI, Dynasty, etc. but they are just disposable TV episodes.

As for movies, even MM said why bother redoing King Kong and I would add for example do we need a remake of Back to the Future? All I am saying about remakes is that if the original was so well done and exhausted all the possibilities, you can’t really redo it and make it better so therefore you shouldn’t even bother.

The history of storytelling is all about “remakes,” about retelling and revising and adding new elements. The art of storytelling is about how you tell it, not what you’re telling. So if you’re worth your creative salt, you can tell the most familiar story in the world, and tell it interesting.