millarworld.tv Comics Creators

A special Millar Marvel or DC project next year?

My take on Lois is much more about Lois, than about Clark.

I see her as this kind of fearless, headstrong adventure. If I were writing a Lois backup, it’d likely be called “Lois Lane: Agent of the Fourth Estate”. I feel like she has a lot in common with Hal Jordan, actually.

“Never with humans. Too fragile.”

Really? Somehow I thought the constant flirting and flying and the whole plot of Superman II tried to approach the scary topic of “If you were Superman, how would you get laid?” It’s the single great unanswered question.

Hi, Mark. Hi everyone. I was following this discussion with great interest and decided to make an account because it was so interesting that I couldn’t help but wanting to participate.

First of all, I got so excited at the prospect of Mark Millar writing Superman again that I felt like I should add to the opinion (as insignificant as is mine) that he should do Superman first. The Marvel thing makes me midly curious, but they have a lot going on for them nowadays. I think DC and Superman need this more. I hope Mark agrees with all of us that think the same.

Second, I’m trying but I can’t get my head wrapped around the idea that Clark Kent is completely fictitious and Superman is the real personality. I think that’s looking at the whole thing from a completely physical standpoint. Superman is the real personality just because he comes from Krypton and he always has his powers activated? He doesn’t remember his planet, he was raised as a farmboy and lived the life of Clark Kent, being called with that name. Even looking at the Pre-Crisis version, this was something that always seemed strange to me. He should feel the alienation his amazing abilities cause him, but how could he feel like anything else but Clark Kent? The Kryptonian named Kal-El never had time to develop a personality of his own because he never lived that life. All Superman is, is because of Ma and Pa Kent. If that isn’t Clark, who is he? Unless you agree that Jor-El brainwashed him for 10 years in a VR program, but that didn’t happen in the comics. Who was the guy who Ma and Pa raised as his son then? Was he an act as well?

On a side note, I personally like the idea that everything that makes Superman a force for good comes from a kindly couple of farmers, because it’s more hopeful as it talks of the potential of the human race. But that might be just me.

I’m not negating the Pre-Crisis version as I think it’s a completely valid one, how could it not? It has existed for decades. In fact I agree with the idea that the Post-Crisis version lost a bit of what made the character interesting by removing a lot of his loneliness (even though he had his cousin and his pets and and entire bottled city). What I’m saying is that, even in the Pre-Crisis version, I don’t think Clark Kent can be completely fictitious. At the very least I can agree that Metropolis Clark is an act. But who was the boy who grew up in Smallville? Has he fictitious as well? As I say, I’m just trying to wrap my head around this idea, I hope you can help me understand it better, Mark. Thanks in advance.

Question for folks. Would you rather Mark write Superman or the Justice League (with Superman in the roster)?

I would buy either but just Superman would be my preference. It would allow him to explore more of that character in depth. I’m not sure he would get to touch on some of his ideas on Lois, the Kents, the Fortress or other details if he had to juggle the whole League. Whereas, he could always touch on his relationship to the League a bit in a Superman story.

Hitch is essentially telling an amazing Superman story with the League as backup right now. So that is also possible.

Oooh. Tough one.

After this thread, I really want to see him do Superman though to see how those ideas are realised.

Just Supes. Don’t need some watered down Scot. That’d be Millar Lite. :rolling_eyes:

I agree with all of this.

Porque no los dos?

Superman is not Kal El. Kal El doesn’t actually exist. Kal El is the alternate universe where they listened to Jor El and Krypton never exploded. FOR THE MAN WHO HAS EVERYTHING is Kal El.

Superman is something else entirely. He has those memories of the farm, of course, of being a boy. A some core of that morality is at the heart of him. But he’s transcended it, expanded it, just as his senses and his understanding of his place in the universe has expanded.

Clark isn’t fictional. That’s part of the wonder. Clark is as real as you or I. He’s less real, less complete, than Superman, perhaps, but then so are we and I wouldn’t argue against our personhood.

Picasso’s Guernica, Joyce’s Wake, Proust’s In Search…all of these are true, in their way, a truth that goes beyond mere fact and gets at the human condition. Superman’s CLARK is the same. His very existence illuminates the human condition; his feels, his thoughts, his foibles and failures are real. The impact he has is real, on the world and on Superman. (I’m giving a lot away here for my planned Superman run, but what the hell :stuck_out_tongue: )

It’s hard to wrap your head around that take, I think, because there is no easy cognate in the real world. But that’s what science fiction can be, I think, at its best.

Then you would say that farmboy Clark ceased to exist to become Superman, and then he went to create another Clark Kent?

I’d say the child that was Clark Kent, until his powers began to manifest, was the cocoon from which Superman emerged, yes, by increments. But in his desire to stay with humanity he took that Clark - who was genuine - and he aged him, he deepened and widened him, he changed and deformed him as the world might change and deform him, or used him as a template from which to construct the adult Clark.

Part of the mythology, for me, is that the Clark we have is the Clark that would have existed if the powers had never kicked it; honest, deeply principled, kind, generous, a little uncomfortable in social situations (not inept, but not comfortable; preferring the wide open silences of country life), brave, thoughtful, quick to think the best of people, quick with a smile and a nod, genuine, maybe sometimes caught up in his own world (especially when in crowds, with a lot of activity going on, activity for him to observe impartially, the way one often observes nature with the impartiality of an outsider), etc.

(this is starting to read like me putting up my resume as the guy to take over Mark’s Superman title when he’s done :stuck_out_tongue: )

I’d like to see him do Superman, but in the style of his MK Spider-Man run. That is to say, 12 issues, lots of guest stars from all over the place, and a who’s who of villains.

I see. That’s an interesting take for sure.

But if the powers kicked in at some point in his early years and were not with him since he was born, then isn’t that the same (or at least very similar) to what the Post-Crisis continuity posed?

I would like it to be at least 12 issues long, that’s for sure. But I’d like Mark to do his own thing, not tied to any continuity.

And he should totally take a crack at the Justice League, but after Superman! :wink:

I really feel the character needs a homerun right now.

The notion there, as I understood it, was that the powers didn’t kick in until puberty/middle-teen years, and that Superman, at his heart, was just a normal guy – the powers didn’t have an impact on the consciousness. Neither did knowledge of his alien background. He was Clark through and through. It’s not my take, but it’s a fine take, and Max Landis made it work really well just this year.

That isn’t what I’m saying. I’m saying there were a few years of early youth where he was just a boy who had weird things happen around him a lot, maybe. Maybe he had some powers, but not all of them, not to the level he would - maybe he can smell things and hear things more acutely than we could when he was, say, 4 or 5, but by the time he was 8 or 9 he was seeing across every spectrum, into microbial universes, etc. That’s when his understanding of the universe would begin to evolve into something beyond human language.

In my world, by the way, his senses aren’t ‘super sight’ and ‘super smell’. You can’t hear through vacuum - the waves have no medium through which to propagate. You can’t smell through it, either – where are the mlcs diffusing? You couldn’t hear things in real time, or smell things on earth, either - it takes time for sound waves to travel and molecules to diffuse.

Rather, Superman has senses (or a sense) that could more aptly be characterized as an awareness of things, with Superman as the mobile node and expanding spheres of range, specificity and precision inversely proportional to distance from Superman, with special dispensations for loved ones and friends. This might explain why he would hear “Save me, Superman” when uttered by Kyle Raynor millions of miles away, but not by an alien just next door.

He describes this sense (or these senses) as ‘super hearing’ and ‘super vision’ because, alien and elevated though he is, his mind is languaged by human conventions. It’s not that he’s lying or dumbing these things down – he’s placing this sense, or these senses, in these categories himself, because this is how he himself understands it. Though they are beyond human, he’s processing them (when possible) in human terms. (the infant mind is a computer that the infant themselves put together, using the environment as a kind of instruction manual).

NERDDDD ALERT

Different strokes; I’m super not into the ‘back to basics’ ‘weeee’ cameo stuff.

There’s only so many times you can do it, and for fans of the character it rarely feels novel.

No love for Straczynski’s Superman: Earth One? Up until this year with Max Landis as Deniz mentioned, that was the best I’ve seen done with Superman in the last decade. Vol. 2 in particular really got me with the cat story and Clark’s struggle to write and get his second article published in the Daily Planet due to my short background in journalism. I’d be down with Mark doing something like that, either as a one-off or as a multiple volume series with one volume coming out every two years or so, depending on his schedule.

No love for Superman Earth One from me, I’m afraid. :laughing: