millarworld.tv Comics Creators

A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix) Spoiler/DiscussionThread

The first season of the second Live-Action Adaptation of Daniel Handler’s Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events has premiered.

It comprises 8 hour episodes that cover the first four books of the series.
It also features many of the creative input of the series from both the book and the previous movie adaptation.

Daniel Handler has also written 5 of the 8 episodes and includes much of the expanded lore from tie-in materials like The Unauthorized Autobiography and The Beatrice Letters.

The next season has already been announced, and will consist for 10 episodes and cover the next 5.

I watched the first two episodes last night. I thought NPH was pretty good in the role, but I admit I know nothing of the series so it was all new to me. A bit darker than what I was expecting for what is I assume supposed to be mostly for kids. Still, I like that they aren’t stretching out each book to fit one season and I’ll give it at least a couple of more episodes to see how I connect with it.

I was wondering, if you knew nothing of the series…what drew you into watching it?
The talent behind it, younger relatives, just curious.

And the series was conceived by Handler to be purposefully dark for children. Something more Gothic but still kid-sized like Poe or…Baudelaire.
To that end each book in the series gets progressively darker and darker. Handler himself was shocked that they were never banned…because things get insanely dark.

It was a mix of the talent (I generally enjoy NPH and Joan Cusack) and curiosity. I remember the Jim Carrey movie coming out like a dozen years ago, and though I never saw it I recall it looking kind of interesting. But yeah, outside of the set-up premise of 3 orphans going to live with a weird Count, I had no idea what to expect going in.

The Jim Carrey one straddles the line between Carrey-Comedy and darkly stylistic comedy at times.

The books, for what it is worth, are written in a very blunt manner utilizing more of a sense of deadpan and dry humor. The movie and this show, for more mass appeal, does make things quirkier.

I read only the first of the books, but I loved the style. It was really funnily written.