millarworld.tv Comics Creators

2017 - Battle of the Blockbusters

Oh, I agree. I think Secret of the Kells was aimed at the arthouse market. Then, they figured out that they could aim a little broader with Song of the Sea to get kids and still pick up adults. I saw it at an arthouse cinema with (if I remember correctly) all adults.

Bigoted against the bald and balding? For shame.

The Secret of Kells is beautifully animated. There aren’t too many films inspired by a 9th century poem.

Spirited Away is one of my favourites too. The Fox and the Hound is very endearing - also has Kurt Russell. :slight_smile:

Not at all. It doesn’t look like that kind of hair.

Song of the Sea is on my to-watch list, definitely. My wife and daughter watched it a couple of weeks ago and loved it.

Disney’s Winnie-the-Pooh is the second worst screen adaptation ever made of a beloved character. It used to be #1, but, you know, that was before Zack Snyder’s time.

Did you watch the most recent one from a couple of years back? It was really, really good. :slight_smile:

I’m sorry, I’m always reminded of Killer Klowns from Outer Space whenever someone says it like that.

Completely agreed about everything you said there.
Even the stuff that didn’t make the final cut of Ashman’s stuff was gold.

Ashman was incredibly good, he was gone far too soon.

Very good. Back when I was a kid and didn’t like the standard Disney princess movies…even then I’d watch Beauty and the Beast for those songs man/

And speaking of animate musicals, I finally remembered one I love - Prince of Egypt

It’s ballsy to give God a song like that, and make it that eerie and catchy.

And was not only really, really good but very faithful to the books, including lifting large chunks of the text word-for-word. And translating it to film in ways that I never could have imagined would work.

I didn’t think of The Secret of Kells as a kids’ film. Surely it was aimed at adults?

Still have the mental scars from watching the old one in my childhood. I don’t think I could cope with a new one :anguished:

It’s very sweet and lovely.

My problem with this recommendation is that most people said that about the old one too.

Yeah but there were real arseholes on this board in 1966. Who would trust them?

Yeah, they didn’t even consider me as a mod for another 11 years

Now I want a discussion of which is better between ‘Gaston’ and ‘Do you wanna build a snowman’ to be the new Man of Steel sticking point. Gaston is great, but Snowman is sublime.

A top ten Disney animated movie songs thread would probably start WW3.

Gaston, discussion ended, find a better use of your time.

No, it’s “I Wanna Be Like You.”