millarworld.tv Comics Creators

2017 - Battle of the Blockbusters

Hmm. That didn’t jog my memory, it felt like I was listening to those songs for the first time :smiley:

What sticks in my mind about Tangled was the great characters and the humour. I didn’t hate those songs (Mother Knows Best would have made a good comedy number in a 1950s MGM musical, and I like the vocal hook in I See the Light even though it sounds like a million other songs), but I don’t think they contributed anything important to the film. Speaking only for myself, obviously.

I agree Steve. Despite enjoying Cinderella and the Jungle Book a lot they had different takes in their own way. This one looks like a shot for shot remake. As far as I’ve seen from the clips they have all the same songs set up in much the same way.

I think the songs are probably better than intimated but again going by my daughter, she prefers to watch Tangled, sings the songs from Frozen.

For me, the songs of the current-era Disney movies are all pretty good, but don’t quite have the wit and inventiveness to hold up to the stuff from the ‘Disney Renaissance’ era stuff.

You look at some of the Ashman and Menken songs in stuff like Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin (and Little Mermaid, although the film isn’t a great favourite of mine overall) and it just blows its recent rivals out of the water (I wonder whether Menken’s contributions to Tangled is part of why I like the music in that film so much). Ashman’s death was a sad loss.

I liked The Lego Movie. It’s a lot of fun. (Spaceship! Spaceship!) There’s just so many others that I’d choose first. See, now you have me wanting to add more to my list. :slight_smile:

This thread has got me watching old Disney songs on YouTube now, and I think we all know where that leads.

Basically, this is what any new movie has to compete with:

(If anyone can ever manage to match the one-two punch of “I’m especially good at expectorating”/“I use antlers in all of my decorating”, then I think I will die a happy man.)

Yes that is by far my favourite Disney song.

It’s so good that it even manages to produce a non-depressing YouTube comment, which I thought was an oxymoron.

The sloths were the best part of Zootopia - I just hope that Disney doesn’t spin them off into their own film and ruin them a la the Minions (who were funny in Despicable me).

I thought Minions was funny, it’s failings were in the plot department.

I’m currently watching Winnie the Pooh (the recent one) for the fourth time this week, to go with maybe 3-5 watchings of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (the 70s one). My kid likes his Pooh bear.

Fortunately they’re pretty good, as is the Tigger Movie and Piglet’s Big Movie. They are all fast moving up the list of the movies I’ve seen the most amount of times.

I have never seen the original animated movie but saw the live action version last night with wife and some in-laws. I know enough about the animated version to know they downplayed or eliminated some of the skeevier aspects of the original as much as they could. It’s still not a great core story.

As I’ve said in other places, I went in viewing the movie as a prequel to the TV series Legion and in that aspect, it works surprisingly well.

Yeah we noted that but it’s essentially some bollocks you came up with because one actor is involved in both, hence it has been generally ignored. :wink:

I find the minions a bit creepy. I don’t like their “hair.”

But I love Winnie the Pooh and Tigger too:

Yeah, the 2011 one is top of the pile for me - I think I find it funnier than the kids in places - but the Tigger and Piglet movies are good too. (The Heffalump one I’ve seen but barely remember, which probably says a lot.)

Talking of songs (as we were before), the Backson song is probably one of the most fun I’ve seen in an animated movie in recent years.

The Heffalump Movie is pretty terrible.

I love that one. It was one of my favorites as a kid.

This one is so amazing. It’s not as good but The Secret of Kells by the same people is still pretty great.

Spirited Away is my favorite by far. There are so many little details that make it so perfect. One of the things I enjoyed about Moana was that I thought it had a Miyazaki ending.

Technically yes but Secret of Kells is pretty dry and my kids didn’t take to it at all. They loved Song of the Sea, it works better in every way.

As a child, I loved the original Pooh animated features. Christel and I saw the most recent ones and they were very enjoyable.