millarworld.tv Comics Creators

2017 - Battle of the Blockbusters

Flynn Rider is my favourite Disney prince.

I miss Chuck.

I think it’s begun broadcast on the US Disney channel. I’m sure they’ll come out on home video sooner or later.
Here’s the first five minutes:

I can’t come up with a list of animated films, but I think Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, and Toy Story 3 are my three favorites.

The first two…there is something about that old Disney, they’re just magic, they’re like dreams come to life.

And Toy Story 3 is a very profound movie I think, and has a lot more to say about life, love, living, and death than almost any other movie I can think of.

There’s actually a ton of really great animated movies the more I think about it - How to Train Your Dragon was pretty well put together and something super-niche like Treasure Planet gets good reviews.

Even if you just ranked the best “kids animated films” and took out all the cult-stuff and Miyazaki, you’d still be left with a list of around 50 pretty great films where around half were Disney.

Even “The Good Dinosaur” was amazing to look at.

Most of them are good nowadays, which is a bonus as the kids drag me along to most at the cinema. Some are nowhere near the stuff being put in these top 10s but they are still generally okay. It’s a very strong time for kids animation, much better than when I was growing up.

I haven’t actually seen Tangled but this thread is sort of making me want to.

People keep comparing it to Frozen, which is fine I guess but I didn’t think it was all that amazing outside a couple of catchy songs and Elsa being kinda hot for a cartoon-girl.

I did watch Moana recently which I enjoyed - but mostly because of Jemaine Clement’s character, who had me in stitches.

It’s definitely true that I get way more laughs out of Kids animated films then straight up comedies - That’s probably why I enjoy them.

Tangled is really good. My daughter prefers it to Frozen. A lot of the comparisons come from it being the same team that made them, they even give Rapunzel a sneaky tiny cameo in Frozen.

Tangled’s songs don’t hold a candle to Frozen. The characters are not as likable (to me) either.

Hmm…

Well, I suppose it’s time to admit I also used to be totally in love with Mandy Moore.

Tangled doesn’t have Olaf so that’s a big plus.

I’d almost put Tangled in my top ten. It is a really good film. I don’t really get the comparison, but then again I wasn’t particularly keen on Frozen. There’s a scene with some lanterns in Tangled that is particularly lovely although I saw it in 3D so maybe that makes it more special. Flynn Rider is a great character, snarky yet vulnerable, and I loved his horse.

There are so many fantastic animated films that I’m finding it really difficult to limit choices to just ten:
Fantastic Mr Fox
Zootopia
The Fox and the Hound
Robin Hood

No. Just kidding. The first two - definitely. Not sure what else to pick. I’d only wish I’d thought of something else later.

Kubo - absolutely.
The Iron Giant is a masterpiece. Likewise both Fantasia films: Daisy and Donald and the Ark, the Firebird Suite, and the sequence with the whales match anything in the first Fantasia.
Ratatouille is my favourite Pixar movie. Paris looks gorgeous; Peter O’Toole was wonderful as Anton Ego.
Toy Story 2 is the best of the trilogy. Jessie broke my heart just as much as Up. (Can’t not include Up).
The Incredibles
How to Train Your Dragon - I love both films. The tv series is really good too.
Song of the Sea
Wall-E
Ghost in the Shell
Howl’s Moving Castle
Jungle Book and The Aristocats because my uncle used to sing the songs to me.
The Lion King - especially Timon and Pumbaa
I could go on forever. I’m terrible with lists. Snow White. The Aardman films - Pirates Adventure with Scientists is one that tends to be overlooked. Hard to choose between Nightmare Before Christmas, Coraline and Frankenweenie.
Titan A.E…

Howl’s Moving Castle is my favorite Miyazaki.

It’s great. So hard to choose though. I loved the book. When Marnie was There is another animation I’d love to see. It was one of my favourite stories when I was little B.

Everyone praising The Lego Movie makes me think I should watch it again.

Don’t bother. It’s clearly quite possibly the worst film ever made.

Yeah.

The Lego Movie actually killed Andrew’s uncle Bruce - so he’s got pretty legitimate cause to hate it.

How did my mind blank on this?

I love this film.

I finally watched Zootopia/tropolis last week. It’s very good. Maybe not top-ten good, but good.

When I was growing up there was almost nothing. There was Disney (but rarely new Disney) and that was all. That may be why I never really became a fan of animated movies, because I’ve never really liked the Disney style. I like The Jungle Book, but really that’s purely for the soundtrack, and I’d rather just listen to the album than watch the movie again. And with modern music on the soundtracks, I can’t think of any reason I would voluntarily go and see a Disney movie at the cinema these days. That song from Frozen is seriously like fingernails on a blackboard, and I can’t imagine sitting through a whole movie like that.

Edit to add: I did really enjoy Tangled (saw it on TV, not the cinema) but I can’t remember a single song from it. Were there any? :smiley:

Man, all you people who can’t remember the Tangled songs are really missing out.

(I love that Mother Gothel is basically Cher.)

I was watching the clips of the live action ‘Beauty and the Beast’ and I’m pretty sure it won’t work for me.

I think the animated version is a true classic (as do many other people of course) but the same story, the same songs, the same look just doesn’t translate (for me) to real people. It seems too arch, too faked.

Disney want to retain as much of their animated films when they make the new versions, and I agree up to a point, but I would’ve preferred if they had adjusted more, taken it into the real world just enough.

It looks like a filmed version of a stage musical, not a movie.