millarworld.tv Comics Creators

2017 - Battle of the Blockbusters

Seems better

I really thought you liked the DC CW shows. I persnally stopped watching them. The plot of the second Flash season was nonsense.

They’re people complaining about things though, not hating on people.

I didn’t care for it either. Especially the “real world” which makes the whole thing pointless.

That said I did expect Lego Bats to be huge - it doesn’t open here until the end of March.

I do agree with that last part - I think it would actually have been a better movie if they’d left that more open to interpretation and not shown it. But I liked everything else :slight_smile:

Why does the ‘real world’ section make the movie pointless?

Am I remembering it incorrectly or does the end not reveal that the entire story isn’t “real” and is in fact just the child’s storyline when playing with the minifigs? I have a real problem with that. It’s not all that different to feeling ripped off as a result of “It was all a dream!”.

(The same applies to The Usual Suspects once the initial shock from the twist subsides.)

Not exactly - there are [spoiler]different levels of reality, and the Lego story happens within the reality of the Lego that is being played with by a child and his father in a ‘higher’ reality.

So the Lego story is ‘real’ as far as the Lego characters are concerned, and just as ‘real’ as the real-world sections for the viewer (well for me, anyway). And then of course you get the fun interaction of certain Lego characters with the ‘higher’ level of reality.

I’m sure Grant Morrison loved it.
[/spoiler]
Anyway, without those bits I think some of my favourite aspects of the movie wouldn’t be possible, particularly when it comes to the messages about play, rule-following and imagination.

I’m sure somewhere he’s taken credit for it.

[quote=“RobertB, post:390, topic:9408, full:true”]

I think I saw Alan Moore complaining that he thought of it first.

I think that’s spot-on.
Even in the real world, Star-Lord manages to move all by himself.

Ehhh… it doesn’t matter… the RW bits were sappy, corny, completely unoriginal and totally unnecessary. Oh and also: Will frickin Ferrell… ugh…

And the rest of the movie wasn’t all that hot either :smile:

I thought the real world bits were the best part. The message of the movie was to do your own thing, build your own cool vehicles, be special in your own way - that’s a great message for a kids movie. And they resolved the villain situation by simply being kind. That’s fantastic.

I think folks might be forgetting it’s a kids movie about Lego’s. If you’re a grown adult in your 30’s the movie isn’t for you.

It goes even further and establishes that the Lego characters are alive and sentient.

It’s just odd moans from nerds Jim. 2 or 3 people out of everyone else that didn’t like a film that has a 96% Rotten Tomatoes score.

Everyone is entitled to their view but we don’t need to get worked up when they disagree. Their loss, I tend to enjoy most things I watch, if they have shitty general reviews or are in subjects/genres that don’t much interest me I have developed a magic technique of not watching them. :wink:

Maybe not primarily, but I know a lot of adults that loved it too.

I mean, this never gets old.

I mean, President Business jokes about forced euthanasia.
There’s stuff for adults to like.

And that’s what the RW scenes are there for. For the parents or legal guardians.
The ones who have to play with their kids and what it’s like.

No, I think they’re really there for the reasons Jim describes. The messages about imagination and independence and play. That’s the heart of the movie for me.

You don’t like very much though by default Tom. Maybe one thing a couple of times a decades.

I took kids to both Lego and Lego Batman and they loved them in and in the former it gets played back on video all the time on request.

I don’t understand why you brought this up.
I’m defending the Lego Movie because I love it as well.

I think it can be both.
Will Ferrel’s character is there to represent how your kids and young relatives will someday play with stuff you once did, or analogues, and that you have to change with that to connect.
It can’t stay static or holy…cause it’s meant to be enjoyed.