millarworld.tv Comics Creators

2000AD: The Galaxy's Greatest Comic Thread

Never read it. Is it any good? Vaguely interested, but I would be reluctant to pay the price of a hardback on spec.

I have not read it, but the creative team have me interested definitely.

I know Findlay-Day gets a bit of stick from some fellow pros at the time about his scripts needing rewritten, but I do think he’s a bit of a legend in terms of how great some of the stories he created are. A big chunk of my childhood favourites were written by him.

I think they are right in general in the Thrill Power Overload book on Findlay-Day’s scripts. They put up with a lot of editing as he had amazing ideas, they were there and it seems a pretty unanimous view. For us readers seeing the end product it doesn’t matter much if Pat Mills or whoever tweaked half the dialogue.

Findlay-Day only writes the first half before handing over to Simon Furman. I bought the reprint Hibernia did a few years ago. The main selling point is the Eric Bradbury art. It’s frustrating because the story just stops rather than concludes.

Looks like 2000AD are having another go at launching the non-Dredd partworks. Goes live on 7th August with the first issue shipping on the 23rd.

Looking at the video it seems to be the first few issues solicited before( albeit with slightly different covers if I remember the photo someone - @davidm? - posted a while back when they got the issues for free).

Yes, I have the first four issues. I posted this in the Trades thread rather than here:

Slaine - The Horned God
Shakara - The Avenger
Halo Jones (all 3 books I think)
Strontium Dog - The Kreeler Conspiracy

So there’s a Nemesis book in that video that I didn’t get.

The only cover difference seems to be that they’ve taken the top corner logo off. Weird decision :confused:

I still like the idea of this, and now I’ve held the books (still haven’t had time to read them :blush: ) I’m happy with the production values for the price. I’ll probably subscribe.

But how to do so without paying for the four books I’ve already got free?

You can choose which one you want to start with when you start subscribing. That’s their standard model anyway. So if they follow the same order you can just begin with the 5th volume.

If they mess with the order with that Nemesis one you also have the option of buying individual ones.

I think they’d be better releasing them one a month

I just quit because I had far too many stacked up

It’s fine if you have nothing else to read, but each volume takes a fair while to get thru

There is going to be some amazing stuff here, but 2 a month is not sustainable for me and I’m sur wim not the ontly person

I just wasn’t willing to pay £20 a month for books that I wouldn’t get to for a year or so

Exactly the same happened to me with the Dredd collection, I sold them all off halfway through because I’d only managed to read about five of them and I realised I could never keep up with them at a fortnightly pace.

Just a thought as I know Hachette’s model is to really sell the subscription idea but I do notice you can buy every single issue/volume individually of the Dredd Collection. You miss the first two sold at a discount but after that it’s much the same, postage free if you order more than 2.

So even if that outlay of volumes and their frequency is overwhelming you can always go back in and pick and choose some nice hardcovers for a tenner (and as irked Ben not long back at one point flogged off at half price).

I suspect this only affects me, but:

Hmmm…

Dear 2000 AD: The Ultimate Collection subscriber,

We are delighted to let you know that 2000 AD: The Ultimate Collection is now launching nationally!

As a valued test subscriber, we have re-activated your subscription from issue 1 and will be sending you the first 3 issues free of charge.

Ok…as they already sent me the first four issues free of charge, there’s a chance I’ll have three issues to give away :smiley: (No promises until I see what they actually do, but watch this space :slight_smile: ).

It’s highly possible the spine will have changed like they did in the Transformers part works.

Finally read the last two issues of the Predator vs Judge Dredd vs Aliens mini-series. I enjoyed these better than the first two issues, but they’re still pretty ropey, with little of the humour, cleverness, or bite of the British strips. Mooneyhan’s artwork was a treat though; very Lee Weeks esque.

Sound the “there no real news in it but I’m posting it anyway” klaxon.

The back cover to next week’s 2000AD.

I think this is the first time Rebellion have released new material that was not 2000ad/Judge Dredd.

@Jim am I right in remembering you were a Scream reader back in the day?

Max the crazy computer makes a welcome return in The Thirteenth Floor by Guy Adams, John Stokes and Frazer Irving; the fangs are out in The Dracula File by Grainne McEntee and Tristan Jones; weirdos, warriors and weasels plucked from the pages of various 70s and 80s British comics congregate in Death-Man: The Gathering by Henry Flint; Kek-W and Simon Coleby collaborate on Black Max, the German World War One fighter pilot that’s descended from a race of bat-people; the high-rise horrors of Birdwood are back in Return of the Sentinels by Hannah Berry and Ben Willsher; and fairies can be frightening in Fate of the Fairy Hunter by Alec Worley and DaNi.

It’s pretty cool that John Stokes was one of the artists on the original run of The Thirteenth Floor. The editor did comment that a lot of the original artists are no longer with us.

A lot of solid talent on that. I’ll be picking it up for sure.

I was. It’s cool to see it come back again. It’ll be lots of fun when the boys are bigger and they start reading the comics I read when I was a kid.

Yeah and Rebellion bought all the rights for all the IPC/Fleetway IP a few months back so are starting now on collecting them.

I was surprised actually they moved so quickly into new material.